13th December 2012, 01:51 AM
Unregistered

How should I get a job after studying mechanical engineering

Sir, I am a 1'st year student of mechanical enginnering .What should I start doing now onwards ,apart from my studies, to get a good job offer?

13th December 2012, 12:40 PM
nellipudi.santhoshkumar
Senior Member++++

Default Re: How should I get a job after studying mechanical engineering

hai,

Mechanical engineering is one of the oldest branches of engineering. It is also referred to as the ‘mother’ branch of engineering. Another appealing feature of mechanical engineering is that the application base of this field of study is extremely broad and diverse.

After successful completion of the graduate program, you can go for the two-year masters program in mechanical engineering or ME/MTech. If you are interested in pursuing a post-graduate programme in mechanical engineering from any of the IITs, then you must appear for the Graduate Aptitude Test for Engineers (GATE).

In case you are interested in further studies, you can go do a PhD or even option for a management degree from a reputed business school.

For Job Prospect:

Mechanical engineers are required to design, test, manufacture, install, operate and maintain a wide array of machines and mechanical systems that are used in countless industries. These professionals can find employment both in the government and private sector undertakings

job profile of mechanical engineers can be classified into the following functional segments:

**Research and Development (R&D): Engineers whose role is to do research and then plan for new machines and their constituent parts.

**Design: Professionals whose responsibility is to draft technical drawings, manually or with the aid of computers.

Production: Engineers who supervise the manufacturing of mechanical components and machines.

Analysis and testing: Engineers who analyse and test different types of machines and their parts to ensure that they function flawlessly.

Installation: Professionals who install machines and mechanical parts at the client location.

Maintenance: Engineers whose primary role is to ensure that machinery is working as per specifications.

List of Top Companies for Mechanical Engineeirng:

**Various Government sector undertakings
**Automobile and auto part manufacturers
**Aerospace industry
**Thermal plants and gas turbine manufacturers
**Aviation companies
**Armed forces
**Shipping industry
**Engineering consultancies
**Air conditioning and refrigeration industry
**Steel plants

regards.......santhosh..............
13th December 2012, 02:03 PM
ankima
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Sir, I am a 1'st year student of mechanical enginnering .What should I start doing now onwards ,apart from my studies, to get a good job offer?
Dear,

I think its too early for you to think about jobs after your B.tech. Its your first year and you have 4 years with you. First of all concentrate on your studies and maintain a good academic record. Make sure not to get fail in any subject in any semester and also maintain marks at least above 60%. If you managed to maintain above 70% it will bring you to the creamy layer of your college and fair chances in campus recruitment.

Private jobs are there for mechanical students but public sectors are considered ideal for them. For that just after your second year start preparing for GATE. Many PSUs recruits students through GATE scores. If you do well in it and manage to get percentile above 95 then you will have many options. You can even get chance to go for higher studies from top colleges like IITs.

Also you should start your preparation of IES too. And don't take final year campus placements lightly. Try to get placed at least in any of the company even if its an IT based company. Because you should always have a plan B for your career and always remember a bird in hand is better than two in the bush!

Best of luck!
13th December 2012, 07:48 PM
sherleytwain
Senior Member+++++

Mechanical Engineering is one of the ever green fields of the engineering. You can be assured of good job after completing the course. However for that you must score good score in the Engineering course.

I would say that you should target at least 60 percent marks in Engineering. That would significantly improve your chances of getting a good job. I don't think that you need to do any additional course etc to get a good job.

What you need to focus is B.Tech course. Just keep the focus on it and ensure that you get good marks. Apart from that I would say that when you reach the final year of Engineering, appear for the General Aptitude Test for Engineering.

Even though GATE exam is for candidates interested in M.Tech. It has great benefits for the candidates who have completed B.Tech and want to do job. A lot of companies which includes Public Sector Undertakings, factors the GATE score of the candidate when applying for the job.

So I would say that it makes GATE exam pretty important to get job. Please remember that a GATE score is only valid for 2 years after which you will have to reappear for the exam.

Apart from GATE entrance exam you should also work on your English (if not good). To get good job a lot depends on how to perform during the interview. So if you get nervous speaking in front of people, I believe this is something that you will have to work on.

After completing Engineering you will have plenty of options. In government sector, Public Sector Undertaking and Indian Engineering Service are the best options. You can apply for PSU job only if scored at least 60 percent marks in Engineering with no pending backlogs.

For Indian Engineering Service, you will have to appear for entrance exam. To be eligible just complete B.Tech in Mechanical and then you will be eligible to appear for the exam. There is no percentage requirement for Indian Engineering Service.
13th December 2012, 09:15 PM
ajayrocks007
Senior Member+++++

You have many option if you have completed Mechanical Engineering .

You can try any private sector if you want to do a job. Otherwise you can start preparing for Government jobs.

There are many government jobs for engineering graduates. But you have to pass the examination and interview with good marks to get the job.

If you are GATE qualified then you can apply for PSUs like GAIL, BHEL , SAIL, NTPC etc.

PSUs hire only GATE qualified engineers for executive trainee post.

You can also apply for defence posts through exams like CDS and AFCAT if you are interested to join defence.

There is engineering services exam which is conducted by UPSC for which you are eligible.

The is Junior telecom officer job also available for you but you have to beat the other competitors in the exam and interview.

There is IAS exam for you because you are a graduate. Most of engineers become IAS officer in India .

There are many options available for you but the decision is yours . Best of luck...
13th December 2012, 11:51 PM
ibadsyed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi, after completing your Engineering, you can consult with your placement committee of your college and they surely help you for getting a good job through campus placements.

You may also visit the career page of individual companies and can look at the vacancies posted by them and can apply accordingly.

Also, do keep track on the leading newspapers for job notifications.
2nd April 2013, 12:18 PM
Unregistered

how to know the vaccancy for mechanical engineer in private companies ?
18th July 2013, 12:53 AM
Unregistered

sir, i am a mechanical engineering student of final year , i have backlogs in some semester can this make effect in surching the jobs
8th January 2014, 07:10 PM
Unregistered

Smile Re: How should I get a job after studying mechanical engineering

hello.. I come to understand your stare look on jobs..bfre that you must have to know all the technique with mechanical engineering practically, have a inplant training in any good firms in every semester frm ur 2nd year onwards bcaz 1st year will be common subjects fr all depts, the inplnt trng certificates will help you at the stage of interview. keep on loving mechanical you would be a best mechanical engineer in future.. Have a favorable cgpa with sharp knowledge on this field. Plan ur future either u wanna to b a protection technology line or in design line. If u r intrsted in design field learn cad,pro-e,ansys,catia. Be a best BE in mechanical engineering....

Thank you...
A.Raja subramaniam.B.E
16th October 2014, 10:36 PM
Unregistered

sir/madam:i am now studing 3rd year mech .in my clg there is no capus interview .i am known litte bitte of knowlade can get a good job in any where
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?