25th May 2012, 01:59 AM
akhilmech46

Should I prepare for CAT or GATE entrance exam?

hii..
i have a natural feeling to take MBA in petroleum field,but what am hearing is that job placements are getting low these days while an M TECH graduate have higher chances,abroad too..
am doing my 3rd year in mechanical engineering..
so now am really confused because either i have 2 prepare for CAT or GATE...

25th May 2012, 05:58 AM
nkrjn17

Default Re: Should I prepare for CAT or GATE entrance exam?

Hiii

My suggestion is go for MBA Course than M.Tech Course.You will be having more chance to get good opportunities in MBA Course but You will be having chances to get good opportunities in M.Tech but You should work for very less packages.

But,If You do MBA Course from Top Business Schools then You will be having chance to get good opportunities from top companies and You will be placed directly in to middle level management and top level management with huge packages in the to the top ranked companies.

You have to get good percentile in the CAT or MAT Entrance exam to get good admission in to the good business schools.You should be completed Graduation with 50% of marks from Recognized University And If You are belonging to SC and ST Candidates then 45% of marks are enough to apply for CAT or MAT Entrance Examinations.

>>Top Management Institutes in India:

1.Indian Institute of management-Ahmadabad
2.Management development institute-Gurgaon
3.Xaviour Labour relations Institute-Jamshedpur
4.Faculty Management studies-Delhi
5.National Institute of Industrial Engineering-Mumbai
6.SP Jain institute of management and Research-Mumbai
7.Indian institute of foreign Trade-New Delhi
8.Institute of Management Technology-Ghaziabad
9.Shailesh Mehta school of Management,IIT-mumbai
10.Xaviour Institute of Management-Mumbai

>>You have to choose at least one specialization as a Major and one as a Minor Specialization.Some of the Specializations are;

Operations management
Finance management
Logistics management
Supply chain management
International Business
Textile management
Banking management
Retail management
Hospital management
Systems management
IT Management
Project management
Sports management
Event management
Entertainment management
Media management
Oil management
Fashion Management
Marketing management

Thanks,,,
25th May 2012, 07:51 AM
imira
Senior Member+++++

The decision should be solely based on your interest areas. If you are interested in making a career in the field of petroleum engineering then you must pursue M.Tech first. After completing mechanical engineering you will gain the technical know-how in the petroleum field. So you must first appear for the GATE. Once you complete M.Tech you can decide on whether you want to go for MBA or work.
25th May 2012, 05:46 PM
romi_bal

what you have heard is true ...for better job opportunities post graduation has become essential.

But choice of CAT or GATE depends on your taste. If you are interested in doing mba that is opposite to your technical branch then you can opt for CAT.

But if you are interested in continuing your technical knowledge then you opt for GATE.

Choice is completely yours.
19th June 2012, 11:56 PM
ranjeet250490
Senior Member++++

Arrow Re: Should I prepare for CAT or GATE entrance exam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilmech46 View Post
hii..
i have a natural feeling to take MBA in petroleum field,but what am hearing is that job placements are getting low these days while an M TECH graduate have higher chances,abroad too..
Hi

CAT - Common Admission Test

This is organized and conducted by the IIM's for the MBA selections.

GATE - Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering

This is organized by the IIT's for the M.Tech selections.

Now coming to your question, I would suggest you to take up MBA. This is because, its known that Technical branches do not have much money in them than the Corporate jobs.

MBA would directly take up to that platform from where you can take off your career in the Corporate World.
M.Tech on the other hand would eat up two of your years and then end you up in looking for jobs in various countries when the recession is at its peak.

I must tell you that no country is looking to hire other's citizens. Its very strong fact that is existing in the market today. Instead go for the MBA in Finance, HR, Sales and Marketing and then if you do it from a good college, there is no looking back.

This is my opinion. You would have to decide the rest yourself.

All the best

Regards
RANJEET
20th June 2012, 02:50 AM
Vikas hrc

Hi friend..

MBA stands for Master of Business Administration and there are many colleges in our country providing this course.

IIMs are considered as top institutions in our country for MBA course and after your MBA from IIM,your chances of getting good placements are very high.
But getting into an IIM is not so easy,you will have to crack CAT for that and after CAT,you will be called for Group Discussion and Personal Interview.
Whereas M.Tech stands for Masters in Technology.

If you want to do M.Tech from an IIT or NIT,you will have to give GATE for that.
After your M.Tech,you can work in a company or work as a lecturer.

When it comes to opt anyone of these two,it depends on your personal interests and likings.
If you are really interested in doing MBA,then you should do it but remember,doing it from a good institution matters because there are many colleges offering MBA course.

You will get a chance to work in a corporate office after your MBA and if you perform well there,you will get a good package otherwise you may be fired.

While after doing M.Tech,if you opt for lecturer line,then you can get a permanent job there easily.

So,if you really dtermined to do MBA,then you should go for MBA otherwise according to me,M.Tech can be a better option.

Best of luck.
Thanks.
20th June 2012, 11:01 AM
Shaenma
Senior Member+++++

Its more about the field that interests you. One is the management sector and the other is the technical field where work is related to your subject.

I would personally suggest you to go for M.Tech as that will allow you to make use of the knowledge you have gained all these years in an engineering college.

This will allow you to work like an engineer something which you must have always aspired to be one.

But since MBA comes with hefty pay packets therefore you can always choose this one too. As its craze its undeniable. But remember it would deviate you from your work field.

So choose wisely. Good luck
12th July 2012, 03:28 PM
Neerajtiwari779

Quote:
hii..
GATE is good but equally harder then CAT. But if you are able to crack this exam with good percentage you will defnitly mega name college like IITs or BHU. Admiting to thease institute it self is a great achivement. On the other hand they provid good campus sellection system with more mega and international companies taking part, this on the other point offer high pakeges.
On other hand if you are good with administrative field you should proceed with MBA as 2nd best option.
29th July 2012, 02:52 PM
Unregistered

i m student of 3rd year engg in Extc. I m instread in mba bt due to my engg study i m unable to concentrate to on cat studies. So what should I do?
20th October 2012, 10:46 PM
Unregistered

I am a Btech. mechanical 3rd year student bt i dont want to do Mtech. But everyone says we should prepare for GATE for good placements in companies directly after your btech. like BHEL N etc so should i prepare for GATE or CAT
1st December 2012, 06:22 PM
Unregistered

hi...
I am Amar, 2nd year computer engineering
student.
I should prefare for CAT or Gate!???
17th March 2013, 08:33 AM
Unregistered

hiii every1

i am in ffinal year of b.tech (ece)
i am confused between gate and cat
what should i choose:
coaching for GATE
Coaching for CAT

tell me any suggestion
4th April 2013, 09:44 PM
Unregistered

im in TYBSC(IT) want addmission for MTECH ,,,so do i need to give GATE AND TANCET OR CAT.
5th May 2013, 03:36 PM
Unregistered

I am studying in BE(civil) 3rd year but i am unable to prepare GATE and CAT during my BE course ,so what should i do??
5th June 2013, 02:38 AM
amit89itbhu
Senior Member+++

Hi

both have good job scope in India and aboard. Dont listen to other. Pursue the course which you are interested in.

Just make sure of one thing, what ever you choose, either M.Tech or MBA, go for the best institute in India which provide good placement as well.

All the best
7th June 2013, 08:13 AM
Unregistered

HAI I am B.tech mining engg.. STUDENT, shoud I prepare for CAT or GATE entrance..plz sugest me?
7th June 2013, 11:48 PM
ajayrocks007
Senior Member+++++

It depends upon you to decide which field you are interested in. If you want to enter research field in Mining Engineering then you must opt for GATE.

If you are not interested in doing research and want to earn money then you can opt for MBA. MBA is very popular nowadays and most of the engineering opt for MBA course.

GATE score will give you stipend during your Post Graduation and will also make you eligible for Junior Research Fellowship.

GATE is organised by IITs and IISc Bangalore and those who qualify get stipend which is awarded by AICTE.

Those who get high GATE scores will get admission into IITs and NITs .

Many Public Sector Undertakings like GAIL, BHEL, SAIL, NTPC etc recruit on the basis of GATE score.

So if you qualify GATE then you can also end up getting a Government job in PSUs. So all in all GATE is a very good option if you qualify it.

In case of CAT you need a very good score then only you will get admission into IIMs. If you are able to get admission into IIM then it will be the best thing for you because the placement of IIMs is very good and salary offered is one of the best in the country for a fresher.

For more information visit following websites:

-For CAT visit http://www.catiim.in

-For GATE Click Here
11th July 2013, 03:37 PM
Unregistered

im doing my 3rd year engineering in electronics n telecommunication .Should i start preparing for cat or gate entrance?
18th July 2013, 02:52 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
hii..
really a great problem i think u should go for cat then go for dog
2nd September 2013, 01:12 AM
Unregistered

i am interested in both MBA And MTECH
but i want to be richie rich so which field i should choose?
2nd September 2013, 06:44 PM
A.prashanth yadav

Smile Re: Should I prepare for CAT or GATE entrance exam?

DEAR FRIEND

CAT-Common Admission Test

This is organized and conducted by the IIM's for the MBA selections.

GATE-Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering

This is organized by the IIT's for the M.tech selections.

Now coming to your question ,I would suggest you to take up MBA.This is because, its known that Technical branches have much money in them then the corporate jobs.

MBA would directly take up to that platform where you can take off your career in corporate world.M.tech on the other hand would eat up two of your years and then end you up in looking for jobs in various countries when the recession is at its peak.

I must tell you that no country is looking to hire others citizens. Its very strong fact that is existing in the market toady. Instead go for the MBA in finance,HR,sales and marketing and then if you do it from a good college,thereis no looking back.

This is my option.You would have to decide the rest yourself.

All the best!!!!!!!
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?