16th February 2010, 05:33 PM
geeta

Working as a lecturer, but I want start career in IT. I am confused and scared.

i hv completed my engineering.. working as lecturer in engg college last from 6 months..but i m not at all interested in this profession.. i want to start my career in IT industries..i m scared to leav this job if i dont get job in IT also..then isimply loose this job..i m not getting what to do????

Related Questions:
  1. Can I do Ph.D course in correspondence base if I have completed MCA and working as a lecturer currently?
  2. Will there be any way for me to become a Lecturer other than NET and SET Exams? Can I do Ph.D and become a Lecturer having secured 49% in 1st year of MA in English Literature?
  3. What preparations should be done before going to a medical college for doing mbbs?
  4. Confused in MCA or Language Course. What's better for me?
  5. Career prospects after working as Lecturer for Business Communication at the Degree college, M.A in English Literature and M.Phil?
  6. Criteria for working as a lecturer in colleges as a Biological Sciences Lecturer?
  7. currently working as lecturer
  8. What to do after completing BSc in subjects of Zoology, Botany, Chemistry and Environmental Science
  9. Working as a lecturer, but I want start career in IT. I am confused and scared.
  10. Should I start my own business? -- [Most Discussed]
  11. How to start my career in Tamilnadu Tourism department?
  12. Can I appear for NET exam by studying in an open University? Procedure to attend the exam as well as details of lecturers who studied in open University and working as a lecturer in Karnataka?
  13. Courses available to study in US for 12th Biology student?
  14. Which is better to join among Accenture and Capgemini to start career in IT sector? -- [New]
  15. Which course to choose to become a Lecturer in a good college having completed M.Sc in Computer Science and working in a Company?
  16. How can an MCA Passout start a career in IT industry
  17. Can I start my career in BPO after the age of 30?
  18. Career guidance after BCA and currently working in a content development company?
16th February 2010, 09:22 PM
rniveditha

Default Re: Working as a lecturer, but I want start career in IT. I am confused and scared.

i think its important for every one to follow your interests..
n i think ....u must go with your idea of starting your it job....
....i am student ..i still feel ..its important to foolow yr heart first..
wish all the very best
17th February 2010, 01:11 AM
rrmohantysmile
Senior Member+

Default Re: Working as a lecturer, but I want start career in IT. I am confused and scared.

dear geeta, no need to worry as you have climbed the first step in IT field by teaching students and you must have sharpend your skills by doing so, but as you have asked for some suggestion regarding making a career in IT sector so i am giving you an article to read then decide what you want to do... ok...i hope it will help..
Many newcomers to the IT field are surprised when they find out it's tougher to get that first job than they thought it would be. I know exactly what that's like. I've had a great career in IT and I'd recommend it to anyone, but I had a tough time breaking in as well. I'd like to share some tips with you on how to get started on what can be a financially rewarding and personally satisfying career in Information Technology.
School systems are a great place to start. A lot of newcomers forget that schools around the world need IT personnel to support school networks, printers, etc. I began my career with a public school system and it was the best move I could ever have made. If you land such a job, you'll be doing everything from unjamming printers to supporting the school's Local Area Network (LAN). You get experience that is going to look great on your resume - you'll have a big advantage over those whose job responsibilities are narrower. You won't make a lot of money, but what you need at the beginning of your career is experience, not money. Which brings me to my second point ....
Get certified. You have entered a field where you are always learning - or at least, you better be! If you stand still and stop learning, your skills will become obsolete and your IT career will stall. Start adding certifications to your resume to go along with your experience. Look into programs that deal primarily with PCs, such as A+, and then look at more advanced certifications such as the MCSE and the CCNA. When you are certified in all three major networking areas (hardware, server OS, and routers), you are a "triple threat"! Combine that with some experience and you will end up with a very impressive resume.
Network. Networking has two different meanings in IT, and you know the first one. But besides computer networking, there's human networking. Get out there and meet people. Your local newspaper has a business section -check it for IT group meetings. The more you're seen, the more chance you have of being remembered. It's a small world, and IT is a small world as well. Meet the business leaders of your area as well. It is amazing how a quick face-to-face meeting or conversation can lead to great things down the road.
Having a successful IT career isn't just about knowing a lot about computers and networks. It's knowing the right way to get started, getting the right combination of experience and certifications, and meeting people. I know from experience that it's tough to get started. I also know from experience that no career field rewards individual drive like IT does. So get started today - and if you feel your IT career is stalled, take a step back, list the reasons why this has happened, and then do something about it!
i wish you luck and tremendous success and hope your hard work gets rewarded soon.. bbye take care
17th February 2010, 02:00 AM
princearyan
Senior Member+

you keep patience ...
and search job properly,
do not hesitate ,take any job in any company .
first if you get any job then life is very easy in IT industry.....
here its tough to find first job only...
you attend walk in interviews and send your C V
to different IT COMPANIES
I HOPE YOU GET VERY SOON .....
some website are also hep you like
naukri.com
freshersworld.com
monster.com.....
17th February 2010, 12:00 PM
japna

HI! GEETA i think u must go with ur interest , no need to be scared b'coz u can do much better in ur interested field. there are many opportunity in IT industry. u do leave the present job but try for IT related jobs.
18th February 2010, 12:35 PM
geeta

thank u you very much for ur good suggestions..i ll try to improve my all skilss..may i knw what work ur doing right nw?
20th February 2010, 02:14 PM
rahul k
Senior Member+++++

its your openion, you makes your own interest, dont scared choose according to you, if you are interested then you can go for it.
27th February 2010, 12:54 PM
atanu
Senior Member++

dear friend
if you are engineer thn you should not worry about the job in IT sector..
because there are thousands jobs are available in ...I T sector..
so if you are not happy with your profession as lecturer then leave the job..
its better for you that...
you get job into IT sector
so
good luck
3rd August 2010, 09:40 PM
samyakshah

Thumbs up Re: Working as a lecturer, but I want start career in IT. I am confused and scared.

Hi Geeta,

The first thing is that go as per your interest.

As you are an engineer, so no need to worry regarding the job. But the first thing is not leave your job right now.

You post your CV to various IT companies through their sites and also post on the job sites, like naukri.com etc.

Parallelly If you are interested in some particular field of Engg. , then try to complete some external certification in that field, which will help you out to get a better entry in the company.

Now a days, many new opening are there and I am sure you will definitely get an IT job.

Just be confident and try your level best.

Wish You All The Best...
4th August 2010, 01:34 PM
imira
Senior Member+++++

If you are interested in IT field you can post your resume in job portals giving IT as your option. But don’t leave the present job until you get another one. When you get a job in IT sector the salary may not be up to our expectation, still continue with it. You can gain better opportunities with experience. Study certification courses.
4th August 2010, 03:17 PM
Jitendra malviya

Location: 8-bhawani shri lakshya , chhatrasal nagar ,phase 1 ,Bhopal(M.P.),462023

hey if you have no interest in that job then leave that and join IT industries without any confusion. IT industries has more vacancies for freshers..apply them .
i know you will get sure success.
good luck.
4th August 2010, 03:48 PM
August
Senior Member+

dear friend

first be confident about your decision and keep faith in yourself.

as u are interested in IT then i will suggest u to apply in IT firms.

there are many IT firms in India like TCS , INFOSYS, WIPRO, HCL, CTS and many more.

always go for your interest . don't worry about loosing job.

all the best.
4th August 2010, 06:25 PM
Sushant Roy
Senior Member++++

It is good that you realised this early before completion of one year after passing your degree . I want to tell you a thing very frankly that gaining any months/year experience in lectureship is waste. Because IT industry need only engineers and most are of them are trained before working in job.

So do try time to time for jobfair and interviews, if you are lucky then you will be selected.
4th August 2010, 08:11 PM
solution
Senior Member++++

hello dear

you see this time market of IT industry is going through recession condition.

so many engineers they don't have any job.

but don't worry, market will be come back in good situation within some time.

as you are Working as a lecturer, so you will get lots of advantages on that time.

so carry on it.

all the best......
5th August 2010, 12:11 AM
Ravi Khera

Smile Re: Working as a lecturer, but I want start career in IT. I am confused and scared.

Dear Geeta,

Don't be scared about your future if you leave this job,I just suggest you to carry on this job & apply for various govt. posts where engineers are to be employed.Just check for govt. jobs & give exams,this way you will learn from your teaching life,& utilize your knowledge upto maximum.

Other way you can try out for job in good companies if you possess a good educational background.You just have to keep on trying,because its not very easy to get a job,but its also not impossible.So firstly don't leave the job for one safe option & then keep trying.

Best of Luck.
5th August 2010, 05:15 AM
Rickers

Hello,

My dear friend no need to scared about it, if you scared then you are not able to handle any situation. so be relax first and think once more about your career.

The IT market now a day seems to be very weak, as recession were going on.If you leave the lecturer job then now you can't manage a job in IT industries.

So better you wait for sometime, when the recession is over then you may apply for the IT jobs.ok.
Good luck!!!!
22nd February 2011, 08:58 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrmohantysmile View Post
dear geeta, no need to worry as you have climbed the first step in IT field by teaching students and you must have sharpend your skills by doing so, but as you have asked for some suggestion regarding making a career in IT sector so i am giving you an article to read then decide what you want to do... ok...i hope it will help..
Many newcomers to the IT field are surprised when they find out it's tougher to get that first job than they thought it would be. I know exactly what that's like. I've had a great career in IT and I'd recommend it to anyone, but I had a tough time breaking in as well. I'd like to share some tips with you on how to get started on what can be a financially rewarding and personally satisfying career in Information Technology.
School systems are a great place to start. A lot of newcomers forget that schools around the world need IT personnel to support school networks, printers, etc. I began my career with a public school system and it was the best move I could ever have made. If you land such a job, you'll be doing everything from unjamming printers to supporting the school's Local Area Network (LAN). You get experience that is going to look great on your resume - you'll have a big advantage over those whose job responsibilities are narrower. You won't make a lot of money, but what you need at the beginning of your career is experience, not money. Which brings me to my second point ....
Get certified. You have entered a field where you are always learning - or at least, you better be! If you stand still and stop learning, your skills will become obsolete and your IT career will stall. Start adding certifications to your resume to go along with your experience. Look into programs that deal primarily with PCs, such as A+, and then look at more advanced certifications such as the MCSE and the CCNA. When you are certified in all three major networking areas (hardware, server OS, and routers), you are a "triple threat"! Combine that with some experience and you will end up with a very impressive resume.
Network. Networking has two different meanings in IT, and you know the first one. But besides computer networking, there's human networking. Get out there and meet people. Your local newspaper has a business section -check it for IT group meetings. The more you're seen, the more chance you have of being remembered. It's a small world, and IT is a small world as well. Meet the business leaders of your area as well. It is amazing how a quick face-to-face meeting or conversation can lead to great things down the road.
Having a successful IT career isn't just about knowing a lot about computers and networks. It's knowing the right way to get started, getting the right combination of experience and certifications, and meeting people. I know from experience that it's tough to get started. I also know from experience that no career field rewards individual drive like IT does. So get started today - and if you feel your IT career is stalled, take a step back, list the reasons why this has happened, and then do something about it!
i wish you luck and tremendous success and hope your hard work gets rewarded soon.. bbye take care

hi i am amanjeet wrking as lecturer bt still same problem as geetu i want to switch my career in IT field but afraid to loose my previous job if nt success to get job in it field.........i also done certification ccna
23rd March 2011, 10:25 PM
Unregistered

hi,i completed my engg degree be(EEE),2004.after my marrige i didnt search any job for 6years. but now i want to work as a lecturer. but i was poor in communication skills.how can i improve myself? and tell me tips how to handle class.?
24th March 2011, 03:52 PM
Unregistered

I have been working as a lecture in engineering college for 5 years and after that I admitted to MTECH now I am doing internship in IBM Is is possible for me to get a job in IT after having 5 years teaching experience?
Manisha
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?