8th March 2018, 11:12 AM
Unregistered

Science or Arts, which is to study in 11th standard to become an IAS Officer?

Hello, I want to become an IAS Officer. I am studying in 9th standard of CBSE Board. My sister is taking Arts in 11th and she also want to become an IAS Officer. But I have heard that I have to take Science for this. I don’t understand why? So, I want to know which I study Arts or Science?

11th April 2018, 06:51 PM
Career Expert
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Science or Arts, which is to study in 11th standard to become an IAS Officer?

No, there is no need to take any specific stream for pursuing your higher studies. You can pursue your higher studies in any stream of your interest to become an IAS officer. You have to appear in UPSC IAS examination and clear all the rounds of the recruitment process to get selected as an IAS officer.
11th April 2018, 11:54 PM
Ishaquekhan
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Science or Arts, which is to study in 11th standard to become an IAS Officer?

It all depends upon candidate's own choice as there is no fixed stream required to become as IAS Officer. So, you can opt any of the stream in between Arts and Science in class 11th.
Candidates those who have completed their Graduation in any discipline from a recognized University can appear in the IAS examination conducted by UPSC.
13th April 2018, 12:54 AM
ranjan Ayush
Senior Member+++++

To become an I.A.S Officer one have to qualify for Civil Service Examination. The examination is conducted by UPSC.

The eligibility to appear for examination is that candidate must have passed bachelor degree in any discipline from a recognised university.

The age limit to appear for examination is 21-32 years.

So, you can pursue any stream in bachelor degree to appear for examination. Candidates have to qualify in Preliminary, Mains and Interview for final selection. For more information regarding the examination visit at www.upsc.gov.in.
13th April 2018, 04:14 PM
ranu shahi

No it is not compulsory to pursue from Science stream only.
You can pursue 12th, graduation from any of the stream which you like. If you are pursuing from Arts stream it is also acceptable.
It is important to clear this fact that there is no any particular stream mentioned to be pursued in 12th as well as in graduation.
Therefore, you can pursue any stream either Arts or Science it is acceptable.
13th April 2018, 08:43 PM
Blessmegod
Senior Member+++++

First thing I would like to let you know is that to be an IAS ( Indian Administrative Service ) officer you need to qualify Civil Services examination held by UPSC once every year.

--> The basic qualifications required for appearing in Civil Services examination are as hereunder:-

* You must be an Indian citizen.

* Your age must lie in between 21 years to 32 years. Age relaxation is allowed for reserved category candidates as per the government norms.

* You must have either completed your bachelor degree course or must be in the final year of same degree course in any stream from a recognized university.

So as far as you are concerned about the need to opt Science stream for Class 12th academics for becoming an IAS officer then I would like to let you know that there is no such compulsion of any stream or subject at any stage of academics for appearing in Civil Services examination.

For more details regarding Civil Services examination, you can refer to the link www.upsc.gov.in.
13th April 2018, 09:17 PM
ajayrocks007
Senior Member+++++

For becoming an IAS officer, there isn't any fixed qualification and any graduate can appear for such exams. You need to prepare according to the UPSC civil services exam syllabus.

Just opt for any stream of your choice because your school and college studies don't have much to do with IAS exam.
13th April 2018, 11:45 PM
Maa ka pyaar
Senior Member+++++

No, you have wrong information regarding the eligibility criteria to appear for Civil Service Examination.

Civil Service Examination is conducted by UPSC. The eligibility to appear for examination is that candidate must have passed bachelor degree in any discipline.

There is no limitation on aggregate and discipline to appear for examination.

So, candidates passed 12th in Arts, Science etc are eligible to appear for Civil Service examination after the graduation course.
14th April 2018, 02:10 AM
shahi jee
Senior Member+++++

To become an IAS Officer in future, according to me, you should go for Science stream (Physics, Chemistry, English and Mathematics/ Biology) in 11th standard from CBSE Board. It will be beneficial for her.

But there is no any restriction in choosing streams. If your sister is taking Arts stream in 11th standard then this will also good. If she is not confident to clear 12th standard with science stream then she shall not take this stream.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?