11th August 2012, 01:05 AM
Akshit444

Am I eligible to apply for merchant navy after doing B.Tech Mechanical after diploma?

Sir,
I have done B-TECH( Mechanical) after Diploma( not done 10+2) am I eligible to apply for Merchant Navy.

Related Questions:
  1. Am I eligible for merchant navy after doing diploma in civil? How can I do B.Tech in future?
  2. How to join Merchant Navy after diploma in Mechanical Engineering?
  3. Can I join Merchant Navy after completing Diploma in Mechanical Engineering?
  4. How to join Merchant Navy after passing diploma in mechanical engineering?
  5. Am I eligible for junior engineering merchant navy after completing 3 years diploma in mechanical engineering and 6 months pre sea training
  6. Am I eligible to apply for merchant navy after doing B.Tech Mechanical after diploma?
  7. How should I study for Merchant Navy? I am a 3rd year diploma in Mechanical Engineer
  8. Can I join Merchant Navy directly after completion of B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering?
  9. Can I apply for Merchant Navy courses being Diploma holder in Plastic Engineering?
  10. can I get a job in Merchant Navy after passing Mechanical diploma from AICTE recognized university
  11. Am I eligible to apply for Navy after completing 3 years diploma course? -- [New]
  12. How to get a job in merchant navy or Indian Navy? I am a mechanical diploma holder
  13. Can I do merchant navy if currently doing diploma in Mechanical Engineering?
  14. how can a mechanical engineer apply for merchant navy ?
  15. Can a Mechanical Engineering B.Tech student apply for Merchant Navy? Will the course suit the Mechanical Engineers?
  16. Can I join Merchant Navy after doing B.Tech Mechanical Engineering?
  17. How to join Merchant Navy after completing diploma in Mechanical Engineering?
  18. Am i eligible to join the merchant navy as an engineer after completing diploma in mechanical Engineering?
11th August 2012, 07:00 AM
imira
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Am I eligible to apply for merchant navy after doing B.Tech Mechanical after diploma?

Yes after completing B.Tech in mechanical stream you are eligible to join Merchant Navy. Out of the two options the first is to apply for the deck officer post and the other is to apply for engine officer post. For both the posts you should have secured at least 50% marks in the final year of engineering. Also in 10th or 12th standard you should have secured at least 50% marks in English language. There is an upper age limit of 25 years for joining as a deck cadet. To become deck officer you will need to enroll for the one year pre-sea diploma in Nautical Science course and for engine officer post enroll for the marine engineer post.
11th August 2012, 08:27 AM
sherleytwain
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Am I eligible to apply for merchant navy after doing B.Tech Mechanical after diploma?

Yes B.Tech in Mechanical graduates can apply for some posts in Merchant Navy regardless of they have completed B.Tech after 10+2 or diploma course but there are other requirements which you need to meet.

Merchant Navy as you may know requires lots of traveling and is considered as dream job by thousands. The fact that you get to travel around the world in high seas along with good salary makes Merchant Navy such a attractive field to the students.

Apart from the salary which easily touches six digit figure, Merchant Navy also comes with great perks that even allows you to travel along with your wife. However such perks are only for the officer level candidates.

Its needless to explain the work area of Merchant Navy. We export and import goods and that is shipped via sea.This is the job of Merchant Navy, to transport the goods from one country to another.

Eligibility:

There are 2 ways to get into Merchant Navy. In the first way you will have to opt for the Bachelors course in Nautical science or Marine engineering. To get admission in Marine Engineering, you require valid IIT entrance exam score.

Other requirements are:

10+2 with PCM as the subjects.

You should be unmarried at the time of admission. This rule is universal and include both Male and Female.

You age should not be more than 20 years as on September 1 of the admission year.

The age limit is relaxed by 5 years for SC/ST.

You will have to pass medical test at the time of admission. The physical requirements are 6/6 vision with no color blindess, height 150 cm etc.

Direct Entry:

The second way to get job in Merchant Navy is via direct entry where you stand a chance.

Those who have only completed 12th with PCM can apply for Deck Cadet job. The selected person will have to go through few months pre sea training that is generally provided by the recruiting company.

Candidates who have B.Tech degree in Mechanical/ Electrical/ Technology can apply for various jobs in Merchant Navy like Engine Cadet, Fifth Engineer, Junior Engineer etc. Such candidates will have to go through 9 months long pre-sea course in Marine Engineering from MERI.
23rd August 2012, 09:54 PM
Unregistered

i am in b.tech 3rd year mechanical.can i apply for merchant navy if yes than how please tell
24th August 2012, 12:41 AM
drjeet
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshit444 View Post
Sir,
I have done B-TECH( Mechanical) after Diploma( not done 10+2) am I eligible to apply for Merchant Navy.
Hello..

Yes you are eligible for Merchant Navy Exam.

>> Merchant Navy career is not only monetarily rewarding but also satisfying and a bit challenging.

::Eligibility::

>> Class 12 with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics.

>> Candidates have to be unmarried Indian citizens (male or female). After clearing the test, there is an interview and a medical test. Normal vision is required but glasses up to plus or minus 2.5 may be allowed.

>> Admission is through entrance followed by a Two Tests::
1. screening test
2. Main written examination.

:::Institutes offering Merchant Navy Courses:::
  1. Lal Bahadur Shastri College of Nautical Sciences,Mumbai
  2. Mercantile Maritime Academy,Kolkata
  3. SeaScan Marine Services Pvt. Ltd,Goa
  4. Academy of Maritime Training, Chennai
  5. National Institute of Port Management,Chennai.
  6. Vel's College of Maritime Studies, Chennai
  7. T.S. Chanakya Institute,Mumbai, Maharashtra

:: International Institute offering course in merchant navy ::
Association of Marine Electronics and Radio College (AMERC)
Glassglow College of Nautical Studies
Glassglow,
United Kingdom

All the Best.
17th January 2013, 04:58 PM
Unregistered

sir i have complete b.tech in electrical branch so i joined merchant navy please tell as
22nd January 2013, 12:05 PM
Unregistered

thank you so much sir. and am i eligible for the same job if i had eye sight abot 2.5 for both eyes right and left
30th April 2013, 09:06 PM
Unregistered

present I am purusing 3rd b.tech mechanical.after complting final year at which month exam will be held and what is the processto apply marine engineer.And tell me difference between deck cadet and engine officerpost.and I eagrily waiting for you for yur answer as possible.............kishore
27th May 2013, 08:49 PM
Unregistered

Sir can i apply for merchant navy .i done btec in computer science
30th June 2013, 01:59 AM
Unregistered

I finished my B.E.(Electronics & comm.). Am I eligible for merchant navy, if yes pls tell me exactly how to apply and what r the requirements.
9th July 2013, 11:59 PM
Unregistered

can a computer engineer get in merchant navy
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?