9th August 2012, 11:30 PM

Can a candidate qualified in MAT Exam be eligible to get admission in IIMs?

can a MAT quallified student get admission in IIM's................

10th August 2012, 07:19 AM
sherleytwain
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Can a candidate qualified in MAT Exam be eligible to get admission in IIMs?

Unfortunately you can not get admission in the prestigious IIMs on the basis of MAT score. Those candidates who wish to get admission in IIMs for Masters of Business Administration course are required to appear in Common Admission Test(CAT) entrance exam.

Some of the top B-Schools in India which includes IIMs give admission on the basis of CAT score. However I should tell you that there are other factors too that would decide whether you would get admission in IIMs or not. Due to recent changes made in admission process by the IIMs, the Common Admission Test (CAT) score alone would not be enough to get admission.

CAT Eligibility

1. You must be Indian Citizen

2. You must have completed graduation degree from a recognised university.

3. You should score at least 50 percent marks in graduation course.

4. Candidates belonging to SC/ST need 45 percent marks in graduation to appear in CAT exam.

I would say that you take professional coaching to prepare for the CAT exam. Once you get the result, apply for as many IIMs as possible. Now to get admission, your percentage in 10th and 12th would also play critical role. Some IIMs require candidate to score at least 70 percent in 10th and 12th boards. While others require at least 80 percent marks in 12th board. This criteria is different for each IIMs.

Candidates who would be selected by the IIMs would have to give written test followed by Group Discussion and Personal Interview. Then only you would get admission in IIM.

MAT exam which means Management Aptitude Test is generally the second choice for candidates. Alternatively candidates who failed to secure necessary marks to appear for CAT, sit in MAT exam because there is no percentage criteria for MAT exam.
10th August 2012, 02:18 PM
Mrs_Praveen_Gola
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Can a candidate qualified in MAT Exam be eligible to get admission in IIMs?

No, a candidate qualified in MAT Exam is not eligible to get admission in IIMs as to get admission in IIMs for Masters of Business Administration course, He must be required to appear in Common Admission Test(CAT) entrance exam.MAT exam is meant for the other institutes as there is no percentage criteria for MAT exam.

CAT Eligibility

1. You must be Indian Citizen

2. You must have completed graduation degree from a recognized university.

3. You should score at least 50 percent marks in graduation course.

4. Candidates belonging to SC/ST need 45 percent marks in graduation to appear in CAT exam.

For more details you can visit to-

http://www.catiim.in/cat_eligibility.html
10th August 2012, 07:59 PM
Shaenma
Senior Member+++++

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
can a MAT quallified student get admission in IIM's................

It seems like you have some misconception about MAT exam. It is unfortunately not the ticket to any of the IIM's.

For getting into the Indian Institute of Management or IIM as it is better known as you need to give Common Admission Test (CAT). This exam is conducted by the IIM's only. You can take this exam as the first step for admission to the IIMs.

This exam is conducted every year mostly during the month of November. It is a written exam which mostly comprises of multiple-choice questions. It is most definitely one of the most toughest management exam to crack. But that does not stops students from applying for it in large numbers every year.

CAT Exam Eligibility Criteria:

To sit for this examination you need to have a bachelor's degree from a recognized university or institution in any discipline. Apart from this it is also important to secure 50 percent of marks at graduation level.

In case of SC/ST candidates or persons with disabilities the percentage to secure is 45 percent of marks. If you are applying for the final year examination or awaiting the result then also you are eligible to give this exam.

CAT Exam Pattern:

As far as the CAT exam pattern is concerned it keeps changing every year. Overall the duration of the paper is two hours and fifteen minutes and you wont get any recess time in between.

Following sections needs to be covered for the examination:
  • Verbal Ability
  • Reading Comprehension
  • Data Interpretation
  • Quantitative Ability

There is negative marking which means for every wrong answer one mark will be deducted from your original score. Thus you should very cautiously give answers and do not rely on wild guess as that idea can backfire you.

Therefore i hope you can understand that for this exam only learning formulas and chapters wont do. It is very important to get to its roots and understand the concepts very properly as otherwise you wont be able to understand the exam pattern or tress the scoring areas.

CAT Exam Cut Off:

Apart from the IIMs CAT score is also accepted by the autonomous institutions in India. But since it is conducted by the IIMs therefore none of the other universities will accept this score.

Top Colleges in India which accepts CAT scores are:

Xavier Institute of Management, Bhubaneswar

Fore School of Management, New Delhi

Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies, Mumbai

Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore

Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad
14th August 2012, 09:35 AM
aryan5107241
Senior Member+++++

Dear Friend,

No , A MAT Qualified Student cannot get admission in IIMs because in order to get admission in IIMs , you need to crack The Common Aptitude Test (CAT).

The Eligibility Criteria Required For CAT are :

* You must have completed your graduation from any recognized college/university with a minimum of 50% marks.

* There is also a relaxation of 5% marks for students of unreserved categories.

So , if you want to get admission in IIMs , then try to crack the CAT.

This is the information i have to the best of my knowledge regarding your query. Hope the information will help you to the extent you want.
10th September 2012, 02:51 AM
Unregistered

i have secured 45.8% in my b.a.programme graduation degree... can i get selected for CAT... please answer
4th May 2013, 11:33 AM
Unregistered

which college is best for MAT
26th May 2013, 03:09 PM
Unregistered

i secured 99 percentile in mat may 2013...can i get admission in a good b school in delhi..........
9th December 2013, 06:52 PM
Unregistered

list out the top colleges accepting mat score?
24th May 2014, 09:43 AM
Unregistered

MY SCORE IS 62% IN MAT IN MAY 2014....WHICH COLLEGE I SHOULD SELECT?
29th May 2014, 11:32 PM
Unregistered

i have scored 664.5 composite score in MAT with 87.62 percentile.. which best colleges can i get?? please help
30th September 2014, 08:54 AM
Unregistered

Sir my compsite score is 540.45 which collage take me .
And can collage call the candidate.
10th February 2016, 12:53 PM
Unregistered

Hello,
1. Which are the Best colleges to apply for MAT in Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh ?
2. I have 2 years experience in an IT MNC , which course should I opt for ?
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?