10th August 2011, 09:46 AM
Unregistered

Which course is better for Civil Engineer between IAS and IPS?

which job will be better for civil engineers,ias or ies ? i am in confusion of which course to join.

10th August 2011, 05:47 PM
aditya436
Senior Member++++

Arrow Re: Which course is better for Civil Engineer between IAS and IPS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
which job will be better for civil engineers,ias or ies ? i am in confusion of which course to join.
It purely depends on your thinking my dear.! and knowledge
also depends on your attitude.

If you love your Engineering subject I will recommend you to appear for IES Entrance examination.
If you have more concern towards your society and if you are very much interested in solving the civilian problems and develop the area ,state,country then you have to opt for IAS or Civil Services examination.

Ok there is no particular speciality for your Civil Engineering in IAS entrance exam you have an option to select a optional subject in order to clear the stage 2 of the examination i.e., Mains level.

After this you will be questioned in interview your graduation degree there it might be helpful for you to answer the questions what the committee posses to you regarding your subject.

But the situation for IES is entirely different. You will be questioned on your Subject right from the first stage and also you have to utilize your engineering knowledge for the sake of government in order to develop the Country in terms of Infra structure High level buildings corporate structures, Airports etc..,

In this way you will be utilized by these services which are equally respected but you will have more powers if you become IAS rather than IES

IAS is the king of the area where he is posted i.e., district collector is the most respected job among the statesmen

These are the differences for you to select the right option based upon your interest, your vision and your attitude.

All the best

Regards

~AdityA~
10th August 2011, 05:59 PM
sg1991

Default Re: Which course is better for Civil Engineer between IAS and IPS?

According to me, IES will be a better option than IAS for all engineering graduates because it will be easier for B. E./ B. Tech. students to face IES since they have knowledge about its syllabus and they have learned the contents of IES during their engineering.
You should go into a field of your specialization.
But finally it depends on your interest. If you want to become a collector or go into administration field, then you should go with IAS.
10th August 2011, 06:10 PM
malek basit

hello dear

"Do not get others to do what you can do yourself." My motto on the other hand is,"do not do that which others can do as well."

So, wt ur dreams & u create ur careears...
10th August 2011, 06:21 PM
malek basit

Arrow Re: Which course is better for Civil Engineer between IAS and IPS?

hello dear

As is correctly pointed out, IAS and IPS officers, both are employees of central government.
IAS officer looks after general administration of a district.
If you have an administrative ability, you should pot for it.
IPS officer looks after mainatainance of law and order in a district.
The job involves making strategic decisions and odd timings.
If you have sufficient analytical and investigation skills, you should opt for it.
10th August 2011, 10:53 PM
sachin200792

The jobs of IES and IAS are totally different from each other. Both the exams are conducted by UPSC and both the posts have the highest reputation in their fields or in their specific professions. Both are the most reputed jobs in India.

The choice for taking the job of either IAS or IES depends on you. IES is a job related to engineering services. If you like technical or engineering jobs then you must join IES. It is the ideal job for an engineer who has an opportunity to have it. According to me those who have got their engineering degrees and have studied harshly for four years in the engineering colleges to get their B.Tech. degrees must prefer IES over IAS and must use their talent to make our country more constructive and developed.

If you have interest in the administrative services then you must go for IAS. IAS is the most respected person in the district in which he/she is posted. But there is not much scope for civil engineers in IAS as much as is in IES. Civil engineer has maximum number of vacancies in IES, while it is same for all candidates appearing for IAS.
10th August 2011, 11:45 PM
gauri2011
Senior Member+

Quote:
Hello,
It is very nice to see that you want to be a IAS or IPS officer and want to serve the nation.
And this entirely your decision to make to which officer you want to become and I am no own to suggest you.

You should choose the one you like the most and go for that and try your best to achieve your aim of life.

Best Wishes...
10th August 2011, 11:51 PM
rana2011
Banned

IAS and IPS officers, both are employees of central government.And both are conducted by UPSC.

IAS officer looks after general administration of a district.And
On otherhand IPS officer looks after mainatainance of law and order in a district.

If you have an administrative ability, you should pot for IAS

Or,If you have sufficient analytical and investigation skills, you should opt for IPS.

Thanks!
19th January 2012, 08:08 PM
pops07
Senior Member+++++

IES is the best option for you, without any doubt.

IES is for four streams mainly, though students from other engineering branches can also apply:

Civil, Electrical, Mechanical and Electronics and Communication.

And IAS are for everyone who has completed their graduation.

So the competition would be high in case of IAS.

Whereas in case of IES you have to compete with engineering students only unlike IAS where you have to compete with all graduates in any field.

So if you are equally interested in both the exams and is confused to choose any one, then choose IES.

And if you have any liking or have personal interest in any one exam specially, then choose what your interest is.
19th January 2012, 11:08 PM
jeevi12

Quote:
First you fix your goal in mind which do you want to study and what do you want to do.
IAS-Indian administrative service
IPS-Indian police service
Both the exam are conducting every year by UPSC government i.e., Union public service commission. It is based on central government rule.
So better you think according your studies. Both the examination procedure are same. First is objective type of question. second is non objective type of questions and final type of exam is interview.
For any queries regarding this then see complete details in upsc website i.e.,www.upsc.in.
20th January 2012, 12:26 AM
rvidyasagar

Quote:
Dear candidate,

From your question, I presume that you have equal chance of selection in both IAS and IES. Very good!

If you join IES, as long as you are in the JTS grade, you will be directly applying your text book knowledge in design, estimation, execution, etc. This also depends upon the actual assignment taken by you. Like, if you are given a field posting, you may not be exposed to any design aspects. And, don't ever think that all you studied in the University would be applied in the job. As you grow older and older, more of management capability is required out of you.

If you join IAS, well, your Civil Engg knowledge may not become handy immediately. However, rest assured that people cannot fool around you. Generally IAS officers are generalists and pick knowledge in bits and pieces from attached dept officers. They may or may not guide him correctly due to various reasons. However, if you yourself are a Civil graduate, you are already aware of not only Civil Engg subjects, but also about other Engg subjects in general. As District Magistrate, you will be reviewing the progress of development schemes, some of which may involve construction like school building, hospital, etc. Your knowledge comes in handy. After promotion, if you move over to Secretariat, your Civil knowledge will be helpful in meetings and evaluation of proposals.

Finally, promotion is IAS stream is more orderly.

All the best!
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?