31st July 2012, 12:34 PM
Unregistered

Which Engineering stream is a better choice for me between CSE and IT?

which engineering branch is better between computer and information technology?

31st July 2012, 04:22 PM
Senior Member+

Smile Re: Which Engineering stream is a better choice for me between CSE and IT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

CSE Or IT? Which is Better?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~

Confused???
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~

First of all Thanks man for bringing this Question here! I was Myself trying to find an Answer for this.

Okay Here we Go.. This Question is Being Asked by each and Every Candidate who has Just Completed his 10+2. Believe Me, I have had this Doubt too.. I've Just Completed my First Year in IT! And Now When It comes to Branch Change, I am Confused Myself! But not now.

Here is What I Just Found:
  • CSE and IT are No Different when it comes to the Subject Contents and Syllabus Except for a Few Electives in the Final Year!
  • IT deals with Software, Hardware and Technologies Involved Whereas a CS Grad might Only Have Knowledge Limited to S/Hware. (Well this isn't a Problem if S/he is a bit of Tech-Savvy)
  • Well, If you're Planning to Go Abroad for Higher Studies (Or India), Then Situations may turn Sour for an IT Graduate. Sometimes, A B.Tech(IT) shall not be Able to Apply for Masters in some Particular Intitutes.
  • Coming to Final Placements, Students in Both the Branches have Equal Opportunities and are Well Placed.
    PS: Well Regarding the Miss-Conception that some Companies have (Like No Engineering Stuff can be Derived From a B.tech(IT) Grad), Nothing can Be done.
Extra Points:

► Sometimes, CSE syllabus may contain some Hardware Topics such as (Digital signal processing, Embedded Systems, Real time Systems, VLSI, Advanced Computer architecture, Digital system design, hardware software co-design) Which might be Missing in IT Branch. So Better Keep yourself Updated!

► Now Coming to the Question: What to Choose Between these While attending Counseling, Well, I would Suggest you to Check out the Following Factors:
  • College Branch Cut-Off : Choose Either CSE or IT depending on the Branch Cut-Off. Because It gives you hint, as to Which Branch has Served/ Placed Students well in the Past Years.
  • Talk about the Faculty Members from the Alumni or other Resources(Friends, Dad's Associates, Etc) : This Would Infact be a Great turn Over for You! Because, Ultimately if the Professors aren't Good in that Particular Branch, Then you would be Missing Many Things. (For Example, Some Lecturers can make Even the most Boring topics Interesting! ) I have Myself Experienced it!
I think that Would Suffice You Now!

PS: If Any Doubts Still Persists, Then You can As Well Drop a Message in My Visitors Message Inbox.

All The Best!

Regards,

Nik!

31st July 2012, 04:41 PM
ab7777

Default Re: Which Engineering stream is a better choice for me between CSE and IT?

Quote:

The exact answer depends heavily on the college or university, as each tends to split things slightly differently. As a generalization, there are actually three fields commonly associated with computers:

Information Technology - This is a practical engineering field, concerned primarily with taking existing hardware and software components and designing a larger system to solve a particular business function. Here you learn about some basic information theory, applied mathematics theory, and things like network topology/design, database design, and the like. IT concerns itself with taking building blocks such as servers, operating systems, network switches, and software applications and creating a whole system to solve a problem (such as creating a sales order handling systems).

Computer Science - this is a theoretical field, with emphasis on the mathematical basis which underlies modern programming. That is, computer science is primarily software-oriented, as it concerns itself with developing new algorithmic ways to solve a problem. Such algorithms are then actually implemented in software. Here you will learn about the fundamentals of programming languages, a large variety of information theory and algorithm theory (plus, linear and discrete mathematics), how to design a software program, and how to run a successful software development team. CS can also encompass items such as compiler and Operating system design and implementation. In general, if it concerns actually writing any form of software, whether to solve a practical problem or as part of a more academic research project, CS is the place to be.

Computer Engineering - this is an hardware engineering field. Some places treat it as a specialty of Electrical Engineering. This field teaches the design of hardware components, and also the assembly of those components into a larger hardware system. It encompasses information theory, electrical engineering, VLSI design, and digital logic. Here you will be involved with designing CPUs and other Integrated Chips to perform specific tasks, and will also learn about very low-level programming (usually, the type of programming use to create firmware). In essence, CE involves the creation of hardware devices intended to perform a very specific function (e.g. a modem, a CPU, a DRAM chip, etc.)

If you want a very strong background in fundamental aspects of computing (which can definitely provide a useful understanding), CS is going to be better. A lot of what is taught in IT can be learned in real world experience and is less abstract in nature.
if you pursue computer science you can probably come to understand many of the concepts in IT with ease. The reverse may not be true.
So keeping this fact in mind, Computer science should be a better option because it a broader field when compared to IT.
31st July 2012, 04:56 PM
saquib208

Default Re: Which Engineering stream is a better choice for me between CSE and IT?

Quote:
hello ..if you want to make carer in it it is good .if you like computer it is also better opportunity.the main thing is how much you are interested in these streams both are computer related field.its up to you how much you are interested in developing sites or want to design new software application.
so join that stream in which you can do best...ok
31st July 2012, 06:49 PM
ashokkumar21

Thumbs up Re: Which Engineering stream is a better choice for me between CSE and IT?

Quote:

hi friend,

both courses have good future but you can choose which course you have interest...
Information Technology is the new and the most captivating sector of the modern world. Every people and each of the organization are been fascinated by the technique of it. Communication needs will continue to grow; the functions of e-mail, instant messaging, Weblogs, and wireless communications will improve as the demands of informational society increase so to fulfill the thirst Information Technology is needed.
With so many companies in IT Sector, there is no doubt that the scope of IT sector is very bright.

Computer science on the other hand is new field but in high demand at present. It provides you opportunities both in public and private sectors but more in private. A computer engineer earn a lot but it is highly affected by recession and employees of private companies in software fields have to lose their jobs due to it. But when market is good it gives great salary . In future it will be in great demand irrespective of market because of dynamically changing technology.

ALL THE BEST...

24th June 2013, 12:14 AM
Unregistered

my ipu rank is 30409..can i get CSE in gtbit ?
24th June 2013, 05:40 PM
rhiayrash

There is not so much difference between CSE and IT.Changes comes after 5th or 6th semester.If you are good at programming then you should go for this branches.Syllabus is almost same.Both branch has good scope in our country.If you love software developing,site making then CS is best otherwise IT is also best.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?