23rd October 2012, 09:58 AM
suraj upadhaya

How to become a Merchant Navy(Eng Post)

hello sir
i want you to help me out ........i aspire to become marchant navy(eng post)
after completion of b tech in marine eng or other ways are there
plz info me about various ways and institutions in india ............
if possible abroad...?

13th May 2016, 05:53 AM
sah.alok932

Default Re: How to become a Merchant Navy(Eng Post)

There are three ways to become a merchant navy in India.
1)After completing B.SC in nautical science,a three year bachelor degree course after completing intermediate with physics,maths and chemistry,minimum percentage required is 60%.
Nautical science is the smallest course in order to join merchant navy,graduate course of three year only.Physical fitness is compulsory,normal eyes vision is mandatory.The course fees is little high as it costs around 7-8 lakhs in three year of the course.

2)As you mentioned yourself B.TECH in marine engineering is another course,unlikely to nautical science it is of four years as it is a engineering degree course.The subject combinations are equal to nautical science but along with that qualifying engineering entrance exam is equally required highly unlikely to that of nautical science course.
Physical fitness,vision all are equally required to good and course fees is same as 8 lakhs in 4 years.

Apart from these two there is on more indirect entry in merchant navy,one after completing B.TECH in mechanical engineering is eligible to apply for merchant navy,after doing some small courses.

Only these three are the entries possible in merchant navy in India,apart from them no other entries are possible as of now.
14th May 2016, 11:40 PM
13precious

Default Re: How to become a Merchant Navy(Eng Post)

You can join Merchant Navy for engineer post after completing B.Tech in mechanical engineering.

You can apply for these posts such as junior engineer/fifth engineer.

To get entry in Merchant Navy you have to do pre sea course.It is a one year course conducted by Merchant navy & marine engineering institute.

After completing pre sea course you can get entry in Merchant navy as engineer.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?