25th May 2011, 02:11 AM
lyfrocks222

When exactly do I need to start my preparations for Civil Services Exam after 12th?

hello,
i have cleared my cbse 12th boards(sci stream ,pcmb ) in .... i have planned 2 appear for civil service exam after my graduation ( engineering or Bsc in microbiology).....so when exactly need i start my preparation,and wat exactly must i study??? what exactly is d syllabi fr prelims and mains.....
plsss lme kn.
khushi.

25th May 2011, 07:19 AM
mobeshpal
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: When exactly do I need to start my preparations for Civil Services Exam after 12th?

hi
now you concentrate your future study .
what you do in future ?
first do that what study you have go for?
then you prepare for UPSC exam.
if u r maintain then you do some aptitute & reasoning, that will help you future.
25th May 2011, 09:26 AM
priyanka_swengg
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: When exactly do I need to start my preparations for Civil Services Exam after 12th?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyfrocks222 View Post
hello,
i have cleared my cbse 12th boards(sci stream ,pcmb ) in .... i have planned 2 appear for civil service exam after my graduation ( engineering or Bsc in microbiology).....so when exactly need i start my preparation,and wat exactly must i study??? what exactly is d syllabi fr prelims and mains.....
plsss lme kn.
khushi.
For civil exam preparation you can start from either from pre-final year or from final year..that will be more useful...

It consits of two paper and each paper of Two hrs..

(Paper 1) (200 marks) consists of
  • Current events.
  • History
  • Geography
  • Indian Polity and governance
  • Economic and social development
  • and General science.

It is of purely objective type and qualifying exam...

(Paper II) (200 marks)
  • Comprehension
  • Logical reasoning and analytical ability
  • Decision making and problem solving
  • General mental ability
  • Basic numeracy(Class X level)
  • English language comprehension skills (Class X level)

It is of purely subjective type and followed by interview....

In comprehension subjective paper following are the optional subject you can choose any one of it
  • Agriculture
  • Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science
  • Anthropology
  • Botany
  • Chemistry
  • Civil Engineering
  • Commerce and Accountancy
  • Economics
  • Electrical Engineering
  • Geography
  • Geology
  • History
  • Law
  • Management
  • Mathematics
  • Mechanical Engineering
  • Medical Science
  • Philosophy
  • Physics
  • Political Science and International
  • Relations
  • Psychology
  • Public Administration
  • Sociology
  • Statistics
  • Zoology

so if you do engineering you can take any engineering subject like Electrical ,Mechanical ,Civil Engineering
or if you do Bsc in microbiology you can take any subject related to it...
25th May 2011, 09:37 AM
sumitkumarsharma
Senior Member+

Wink Re: When exactly do I need to start my preparations for Civil Services Exam after 12th?

Quote:
hello,
plsss lme kn.
khushi.
Dear friend you have too much confidence on study ....i like this too much .......

after 12th you want to do preparation you will surely clear UPSC.........

if you want to start now then you can do for basics..............

Because for this exam basics should be very clear and you can start hard labour from today if you want............

But you more attention on main subject which you want to take for civil services optional subject...............
25th May 2011, 11:02 AM
balathegreat
Senior Member+

Hi friend,

Starting time of preparation depends on your talent. And your ability to

take up. Most of the candidates start their preparation in the last year.

When syllabus are considered they are little long to be typed here. So i would

like to make an attachment which shows you the syllabus for preliminary exam

and link which shows you the syllabus for Main exam.

http://www.civilserviceindia.com/sub...-syllabus.html
Attached Files
File Type: docx civil service prelims syllabus.docx(13.5 KB, 72 views)
25th May 2011, 11:05 AM
VEERU_VIRENDR
Senior Member+

Hello,
UPSC conducts exam to select top class officers as IAS, IPS, IFS and other alloyed services.Exam conducts in three steps-
*Prelims (In the month of may/june)
*Mains (october)
*Interview.
Prelims organised in the name under CSAT (civil services aptitude test), in which two papers are there.
First one is of 'General Studies' and second one is of 'General Interests /aptitude test'. Both the papers are of 200 marks and of duration 2 hrs. Each.
*General Interests-comprehension, communication and interpersonal skills, logical reasoning, problem solving tendency, decision tendency, General mental ability, calculating ability of matric level and data interpretation, comprehension skills test in English language of matric level.
*General Studies-contemptory nationals and internationl importance, indian history and indian national revolution,geography of india and world, indian politics and constitution, political system, 'panchayati raj', economic and social developement, General Science etc.
MAINS
*Any one language from 8th section of indian constitution-300 marks
*English-300
*Essay-200
*General Studies-600
*Optional Subject-1200 marks.
Interview after qualifying mains.

Its not justice to limit any preparation for time period, But if you starts your preparations with graduation then it will be more beneficial for you. If you opt optional subject from the begining then you can score better than others.
Moreover, you should focus on prime stories of national and international, Deals and develop habit of have with economic related issues. To sound in english you should take a glance at english newspaper regularly.
For more information you can visit-www.upsc.gov.in
ok, best of luck.
25th May 2011, 12:22 PM
manvendra007

Smile regarding when to start civil servises preparation

hello dear ,

If you really keen in doing civil services and its really good .

It need a lot of determination and hard work . why you are not starting from now . daily read related topics , it will inhance your knowledge as well as at the time when you will complete your grajuation, you will not be need of studying 12-14 hours daily. it will boost your confidence.

you will be ahead of many in term of knowlede .

in hindi there is a quote
" thode thode boond se hi ghada bharta hai "
25th May 2011, 02:09 PM
surendergora
Senior Member++++

My first suggestion is that if your final aim is civil service, then why are you going engineering , you can better do three yr graduation in subjects like pol science, economics , geography etc.
Also Btech will take four yrs.

Its also a general fact that engineers who apply for CSE rarely opt for engineering subjects as they have large content.
Yes, its true that many engineers get top ranks in CSE , most of them opt for humanities optional.

One more fact optional subjects are not only sufficient to crack CSE, a lot depend on your writting skill, general awareness & your opinion on current affairs.

So, my final suggestion is that you should opt for graduation is one these subjects:

Anthropology
Geography
Law
Management
Mathematics
Mechanical Engineering
Medical Science
Relations
Psychology
Public Administration
Sociology
Statistics

Also while in graduation keep preparing for general awareness & writting skills & communication skills.
25th May 2011, 03:50 PM
Ankur agrawal

Quote:
hello,
plsss lme kn.
khushi.
Hii,

First clap for your sprit to do preopration ..

their are two part for that exam :

one is totally based on th ereasing , logical applied maths and english

second one is the general awernous, general knowledge, geogarphical knowledge or political knowledge ..

Good luck ..
Thanks,
ankur
25th May 2011, 06:12 PM
kvrob139
Senior Member++

Quote:
hello,
plsss lme kn.
khushi.
You must start the preparation from the pre-final year of your graduation especially the current affairs and editorial pages of national dailies.
Also you must stress on reasoning and 2-3 subjects that you need to choose for the Mains.
26th May 2011, 07:13 PM
Unregistered

Hello, I consider my self as a bright student but I didn't do great in my class 12th exams in 2010.I dropped after that one year for preparation of engineering enterence exam but result is not expected to be great.But still I have a great crush for IAS as I am very much interested in these subjects and have a good knowledge of basics about this exam and current affairs.I am despirate to crack this exam.So, at what time in b.tech I should start prepairing for it and as the syllabus is too wide so, to start from where.

--------- SHARAD PATHAK.
23rd July 2011, 11:12 PM
Unregistered

i am doing b.pharmacy last year and very desperate to crack IAS exams how to prepare at zero level is it too late
31st January 2012, 06:40 PM
selva786

Thumbs up Re: When exactly do I need to start my preparations for Civil Services Exam after 12th?

Quote:
hello,
plsss lme kn.
khushi.

you can start preparation while you doing bachelor degree.you may thoroughly prepare for your core subject knowledge.
5th March 2012, 01:33 PM
Unregistered

Being in B.tech first year with EC branch, what should be my steps for civil services examination?
17th April 2014, 01:58 PM
Unregistered

I have recently given my 12 exam CBSc [commerce] and want to prepare for civil services ..... and want to know which subjects to take now ....for better preparation ....plz help????
4th May 2014, 07:30 PM
nareshsunrise
Senior Member++

I appreciate your interest towards civil services and to serve the country.

It is a good move from you of knowing the information required to make entry into civil services as you will be having ample time to prepare for the Civil Services Exam.

Many of the candidates do not have a proper goal or destination of what they want to be and simply complete their Graduation.

Once they complete their Graduation, they will think of for their future in the sense job or higher study.

At that time, they won't be having good amount of time for the preparation and it will take years of time for them to settle.

You don't need to worry about this.

As per preparation,

It would be better to start the preparation for this Exam as early as you can. Because Civil Services Exam is one of the toughest exam in India for the candidates.

First decided upon the stream in Graduation. You mentioned two courses
-Engineering
-B.SC Microbiology

You can opt for any of these courses as per your interest because the candidates who have completed Graduation with any of the stream are eligible to give Civil Services Exam.

The complete selection procedure would involve
CSAT Exam
Main Exam
Interview

As and when you join your Graduation, start taking coaching for civil services exam from a top coaching institute.

Carry out preparation for Civil Services Exam in parallel to your Graduation.

Wish you all the best.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?