24th September 2016, 09:34 PM
Unregistered

When to start preparing for IAS officer exam?

I have finished my 12th grade in science stream and now want to be an IAS officer. So, how to start up preparing for the exam? Can I start it from now? Now I'm following some NCERT S.S.T books of 8-10 grade. Do you think now I should join any kind of coaching institute like SPIPA or I should wait for the colleges to get started?

25th September 2016, 12:17 AM
rachna sarswat
Senior Member+

Default Re: When to start preparing for IAS officer exam?

If you want you can start your preparations for IAS from now. You can read general knowledge and general studies books for increase our knowledge. You can read newspapers and magazines for current affairs. For coaching I think you should wait. As you have to complete your graduation also. Some colleges provides coaching for competitive exams for their students. You should talk to your college authorities for that. Thanks
25th September 2016, 02:09 AM
shweta 1411
Senior Member+++++

If you are interested in this and your aim is to become an IAS Officer then yoy must have to prepare yourself for this. This requires hard labour and concentration. You must have deep knowledge of that particular subject which you will select as optional subject.
As it takes time for preparation so it will be better decision that you should start preparation from starting.

Eligibility criteria are as under:-

Candidate must be a graduation degree holder from any of the recognized university.

Candidate must have atleast 45% aggregate in their graduation.

Candidate must be an Indian citizen.

Candidate age should not less than 21 years and should not exceed 42 years.

Age relaxation should be given to OBC/ SC/ ST candidates.

Selection procedure:-

Preliminary
Mains
Interview
25th September 2016, 01:19 PM
Khurit
Senior Member+

You should know that to become an IAS officer must face Civil Service Exam which is conducted by UPSC.
A candidate can apply for Civil service exam only after completing his/her graduation from a valid university and must be between 21 years to 32 years old.
So no need to start preparation right now concentrate on your degree college.
Once completed then start your preparation by joining coaching class.
25th September 2016, 03:58 PM
aashisranjan784
Senior Member+++++

IAS stands for Indian Administrative Services. The selection of candidates to IAS is done through Civil Services examination. The minimum educational qualification required for Civil Services examination is bachelor's degree. Minimum age limit to apply for this examination is 21 years.

Yes, you can start your preparation from now and there is no problem in that. You can do self preparation as it is the best for this examination. First of all completed with good understanding and clarity social science books of NCERT from standard 6th to 12th.

Make your notes and do revision at regular intervals. In second year of bachelor's degree, you can join any good institute if you think you do not have good preparation. SPIPA is a good institute for preparation. Once you complete NCERT books, you can move to recommended standard books for different subjects like Polity by Laxmikant, History by Bipan Chandra, Geography by GC Leong etc.
25th September 2016, 05:53 PM
ShreeRocks
Senior Member+++++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I have finished my 12th grade in science stream and now want to be an IAS officer. So, how to start up preparing for the exam? Can I start it from now? Now I'm following some NCERT S.S.T books of 8-10 grade. Do you think now I should join any kind of coaching institute like SPIPA or I should wait for the colleges to get started?

Most of the candidates start the preparation for IAS (Civil Services Examination) 9 to 12 months before the exam date. The Preliminary examination will be conducted in the month of August every year. One has to start preparing for the examination before 9 to 12 months, by studying at least 6 to 8 hours daily. There are various books and coaching classes are also available. The Civil Service Examinations are conducted by the UPSC. There are Preliminary Examination, Main Examination and Interview. The graduates in any discipline are eligible to appear for the Civil Service Examination. The examinations will be conducted every year. There are around 1000 candidates selected for all the 24 services combined.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?