2nd October 2017, 02:27 PM
Unregistered

Which course to pursue after 12th to become an Astronomer?

Hi, there. Can anyone please guide me. I want to do something in the field of astronomy as I have special kind of attraction to it. I have done my 12th in science (PCM). What should I do further ahead to be astronomer? Is it that in 12th you have to score high marks for that? What If I get less marks? Please guide me.

Related Questions:
  1. How much marks I need to score to become an astronomer?
  2. How to become an Astronomer after completing B.Tech in EEE? How much is the salary of an Astronomer?
  3. Which subjects should I choose after class 12th to become an Astronomer?
  4. Eligibility and age limit for JEST? Salary of Astronomer? Other ways to become Astronomer?
  5. Should I continue with WBBSE Board to become an Astronomer?
  6. How much money is required to become an astronomer?
  7. What should I do to get a job of Astronomer in any of the Indian Space Organisations? What is the eligibility criteria required for the job?
  8. What exactly people do in In-Plant training? Training period and division identification?
  9. What should I do to become a astronomer?
  10. Which Colleges are best choice for me to become an Astronomer after completion of 12th Class? When will be the Entrance Exam for this?
  11. Will I have to study astrophysics to become an astronomer?
  12. How to become an Astronaut or Astronomer after passing 12th from ISC board with 87.25%/ I also want to do B.Tech from IIT
  13. How to become a scientist in the field of space science? -- [Most Discussed]
  14. Which stream should I choose after 10th to become an Astronomer?
  15. Stream to be taken to become an Astronomer in NASA? Best colleges and degrees to be taken to become an Astronomer?
  16. Which course I need to opt in PUC if I wanted to become an Astronomer?
  17. What should I study to become an Astronomer? Can I study astronomy after 12th science or is diploma a good option?
  18. How can I become an astronomer after studying in class 10th?
2nd October 2017, 05:00 PM
Careerexpert
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Which course to pursue after 12th to become an Astronomer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi, there. Can anyone please guide me. I want to do something in the field of astronomy as I have special kind of attraction to it. I have done my 12th in science (PCM). What should I do further ahead to be astronomer? Is it that in 12th you have to score high marks for that? What If I get less marks? Please guide me.

Candidates after completion of Class XII can pursue the BSc Physics course to become an Astronomer in the future. After completion of a bachelor degree in physics, candidates can pursue master’s degree in Astronomy or Astronomy and Space Science or Astrophysics etc. in various colleges. These are some of the basic qualifications one should have to become an astronomer. Candidates can also pursue research in the astronomy subjects to become an astronomer in the future. Candidates can search for jobs in ISRO or any other space research organizations to become an astronomer.
2nd October 2017, 07:39 PM
ahmedfaiyaz
Senior Member+++

In order to become Astronomer you can opt for any one of the following degree courses:
>Bachelor's degree in Engineering (except Civil and Architectural Engineering)
>Bachelor of Physics
>Bachelor of Mathematics
A PhD degree in the above mentioned field is required to get astronomer positions which usually takes 5-7 years to complete.
You 12th marks will only work to meet the minimum percentage eligibility criteria. Good percentage marks is 12th standard will help you to get admission in good college.
2nd October 2017, 08:27 PM
ranu shahi

You can pursue these courses after completion of 12th to become an astronomer:-
B.Sc in Astrophysics
B.Sc in Astronomy
B.Tech in relevant Engineering

These skills are required to become an Astronomer:-
Solid knowledge in Physics and Mathematics
Must have the knowledge of computer programmes and software
Good observation skills are required
Ability to work with a team
Should have the capacity of solving complex problems and conducting research work

And these colleges offer courses in the field of Astronomy/Astrophysics are:-
Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai
The Indian Institute of Astrophysics, Bangalore
Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology, Thiruvananthapuram
Osmania University, Hyderabad
2nd October 2017, 09:55 PM
Ishaquekhan
Senior Member+++++

In order to make your career in the field of Astronomy after class 12th with science stream, candidates must have to opt for the bachelors degree course in Science stream or Engineering from a recognised University studying Mathematics and Physics. After that candidates can opt for the M.Sc course in Astronomy and can expect a career in the field of Astronomy. For a better post, candidates may also opt Ph.D in the respective field.
2nd October 2017, 10:36 PM
Doctor Tom
Senior Member+++++

Procedure to become astronomer:

firstly you have to complete your Bachelors Degree in Science subject and after that you have to obtained a post graduate degree in Science and after that you have to search for a career in Astronomy. At any entry level one can get into the role of junior search fellow, research training, job positions exist in firms like NASA, Association of Bangalore astronomers, Bhabha Atomic research centre and Indian Space Research Organisation.
2nd October 2017, 11:05 PM
pearlrana
Senior Member+++++

After 12 you must do engineering any one of the following field to become an Astronomer:-

Computer Science and Engineering

Electrical Engineering

Electronics and Communication Engineering

Information Technology

Instrumentation Engineering

Mechanical Engineering.
2nd October 2017, 11:21 PM
raziaexpert
Banned

In order to become an Astronaut after completion of your 12th board, you will have to pursue your graduation in either of the courses mentioned below;

Bachelor's degree in biological science, engineering, mathematics or physical science from a recognized University.

You should however try to score a minimum of 60% in your 12th boards and the a minimum of of 55% in your graduation degree from a recognized university.

However, after completion of your graduation degree candidates can appear for entrance examination conducted by NASA for recruitment of Astronauts, Scientists, etc.

After completion of your graduation, complete your PG degree in the same or any such correspondence field and then get admission in Ph.D degree from some premium Institutes like IISC or IIT.

After that there are various vacancies released by NASA for various posts, you can then appear for those entrance examination and get admission in NASA.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?