11th February 2018, 08:34 PM
Sejaln29

Can I appear in UPSC IAS examination having failed my Mathematics paper in 12th board exam?

I am graduate from IGNOU. But I failed in my 6th paper i.e Math in 12th. My overall result is Pass but not given any kind of improvement exam for Math paper thinking that being a commerce student Math is not my compulsory paper. Now I am preparing for Civil Services having doubt whether my 12th marks will be hurdle in my preparation.

21st February 2018, 09:16 PM
queen199
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Can I appear in UPSC IAS examination having failed my Mathematics paper in 12th board exam?

Civil Service Examination is conducted by UPSC every year. The required qualification to appear for examination is that candidate must have passed bachelor degree from a recognised university.

There is no limitation on discipline and aggregate to appear for examination. So, if you have overall result as pass in 12th and also completed your bachelor degree then you are eligible to appear for examination.

The examination is conducted in three stages and so, you have to do better preparation to qualify in all stages of examination.

For detail information about examination visit at www.upsc.gov.in.
22nd February 2018, 12:56 PM
AWNISH RANJAN CHAUDHARY
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Can I appear in UPSC IAS examination having failed my Mathematics paper in 12th board exam?

After failing in Mathematics in 12th, how IGNOU allowed you to appear for bachelor's degree is very strange and surprising. Candidates must pass in all subjects of 12th to pursue bachelor's degree in any disciple.

IGNOU is UGC recognized university. Its degree is valid for Civil Services exam. You can apply for exam. But it may create problems when UPSC considers each document before final recruitment.
22nd February 2018, 06:42 PM
Rab Rakha
Senior Member+++

First thing I would like to make you clear that there is nothing like UPSC examination rather UPSC examination is used to refer Civil Services examination which is held by UPSC once in a year.

Further, the minimum educational qualification required for appearing in Civil Services examination is a graduation degree in any discipline from a recognized university.

Now, as you have stated that the overall status of your Class 12th board examination is pass even having failed in your sixth paper i.e; Mathematics as your Class 12th level so you are eligible for appearing in Civil Services examination as for appearing in same examination passing any particular subject is not compulsory.

For more details regarding Civil Services examination you can refer to the link www.upsc.gov.in ..
22nd February 2018, 09:42 PM
ranjan Ayush
Senior Member+++++

Yes, you are eligible to appear for Civil Service Examination. The examination is conducted by UPSC.

The examination is conducted in three stages and candidates have to qualify in all three stages of examination for final selection.

Yes, a degree from IGNOU is valid. So, you must start preparing for examination as according to a syllabus for examination. For detail information about examination visit at http://www.upsc.gov.in
22nd February 2018, 10:16 PM
Angry Girl
Senior Member+++++

Yes, you are eligible to appear in UPSC IAS examination after completion your Graduation course from a recognized university.

You have mentioned that you have failed in Mathematics subject in your 12th standard but, there will not be any problem as it is your optional paper.

Being a Graduate from a recognized university, you are eligible to apply for UPSC IAS examination.
23rd February 2018, 07:46 PM
MNB1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sejaln29 View Post
I am graduate from IGNOU. But I failed in my 6th paper i.e Math in 12th. My overall result is Pass but not given any kind of improvement exam for Math paper thinking that being a commerce student Math is not my compulsory paper. Now I am preparing for Civil Services having doubt whether my 12th marks will be hurdle in my preparation.
Since you have completed your graduation, you are eligible to apply for the UPSC Civil services exams.

Educational Qualifications to appear in this exams:Graduation pass in any stream from an recognised University

Age Limit:Minimum 21 years for all candidates
Maximum age is 32 years for General category candidates
3 years age relation for OBC candidates
5 years for SC/ST candidates

In class 12th Maths as you have mentioned is your 6th paper, that means that paper would have been optional and you must have chosen subjects English, Hindi, Physics, Chemistry and Biology.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?