11th March 2012, 11:54 AM
Unregistered

Can I join merchant navy after completing 12th commerce and ITI?

dear sir my name is avinash srivastava i complited 12th commers and ITI can i join marchent navy.but how

11th March 2012, 03:15 PM
sharmaradha1

Default Re: Can I join merchant navy after completing 12th commerce and ITI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
dear sir my name is avinash srivastava i complited 12th commers and ITI can i join marchent navy.but how
Ans. I am sorry to say that u cant join merchant navy. The student who pass 12th in stream of physics chemistry & maths ,they are eligible for merchant navy. You can apply for other courses like B.com,B.B.A etc..........

Thank you
11th March 2012, 05:32 PM
er.skp.me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Dear friend here are the details

A1. The training of all the Indian Merchant Navy personnel is the responsibility of the Government of India, who work through the Ministry of Surface Transport. Candidates wishing to enter the navigational and engineering fields of Merchant Navy need to complete their B.Sc. degree in mechanical or marine engineering, before they can gain admission to the field. In some cases, students who have completed their 12th with PCM (Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics) are eligible to join as Deck Cadets. Navigating Officers - Candidates will need to obtain a Certificate of Competency, as per the regulations in India relating to the examinations of Masters and Mates. Conducted by the Ministry of Surface Transport, in association with the Directorate General of Shipping (DGS) Mumbai, the examinations help determine the promotion prospects for the officers. Training for Navigating Officers
REQUIREMENTS The best training institution for the navigating officers is the T.S. Chanakya. Candidates who qualify from here, that is complete their first certificate of competency of Second Mate, need to go through a three year training in Nautical Science (B.Sc.) and then complete a year's duration of practical training in the deck department of a merchant ship.
PROMOTION On gaining the certificate for Second Mate, the officer is eligible to be posted as 2nd or 3rd officer on board a good merchant ship, with good salary. Further sea service renders the officer capable of giving the First Mate (Foreign Going) and Master (Foreign Going) examinations. Passing of the latter exam gives him the certificate of competency to become the Captain of a merchant ship.
COURSE DETAILS T.S. Chanakya offers maritime education and training to the future navigating officers in India. Affiliated to the University of Bombay, its syllabus gives a broad understanding of marine education, with a special focus on the fundamentals of marine subjects and practical aspects. The subjects include English, Applied Mathematics, Physics and Electronics, Computer Science and Marine Management. Topics such as Ship Operation Technology and other applied subjects (Maritime Commerce, Marine Engineering, Environmental Science, Control Systems etc.) are also focused upon. The training programmes help the candidates to inculcate qualities necessary for the profession, both mental and physical. Practicals that are conducted are in the following subjects - Astronomy, Chart Work, Practical Navigation, Magnetic and Gyro Compasses, Electronic Navigational Aids (Radar, Decca, Satellite Navigator etc.).
Students are taught maintenance of the ship, given experience in handling Navigational Instruments and subjected to a number of drills on board related to safety of life. Requirements for Engineering Officers - The Marine Engineering Research Institute (MERI), formerly known as the Directorate of Marine Engineering, Calcutta offers marine engineering education. It has its headquarters in Calcutta and a branch at Mumbai. The lowest level of examination that is given [conducted by the Ministry of Surface Transport, in association with the Directorate General of Shipping (DGS) Mumbai] is comparable to the Second Class certificate of competency. The exam takes place in 2 parts and those who have passed out of MERI are exempted from Part A. Part B involves first experiencing sea serviceAfter MERI a cadet is posted as the Junior Engineering Officer on a merchant navy ship. With good work and completion of examinations, they can be promoted to the higher levels (Third Engineer, Second Engineer) and finally Chief Engineer.
Training for Engineering Officers
REQUIREMENTS Training is given for a duration of 4 years, at the end of which the Graduation Certificate is obtained. This degree course is equivalent to the 1st Degree Engineering, as recognised by the Ministry of Human Resources Development (Education). With this degree, candidates can be appointed to Government-supervised senior services.
COURSE DETAILS The syllabus has been designed so that the cadet is familiar with the fundamental engineering sciences, knowledge of the theoretical and practical marine engineering, humanities and social sciences. They are also required to be on par with the rules for Marine Engineers as established by the Merchant Shipping Act. Apart from the theoretical and practical side of the course, students also need to participate in the extra-curricular activities held at the institute. The following table talks about the admission requirements to get into T.S. Chanakya and MERI: Admission criteria for Chanakya and MERI
ELIGIBILITY/AGE LIMIT Admission is open to both unmarried male and female candidates; age should not be more than 20 years (on 1st September of the entry year): those belonging to the SC/ST have this rule relaxed by about 5 yrs.
ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS Candidates need to show proof of completing 10+2 system or equivalent, having passed Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics as elective subjects. Some of the Qualifying Examinations are as follows: - All India Senior School Certificate Examination of CBSE - Higher Secondary Examination (from any Central/State Board of Secondary Education) - Indian School Certificate Examination of Council of Indian School of Examination, New Delhi - Intermediate Science/Technical or 2-year pre-university examination - Final Examination of 2-year course of Joint Service Wing of the NDA - 1st year examination of a 5-year integrated course from an IIT- or IIT recognised institution/university - 1st year examination of a 3-year degree course of any recognised Indian University
SEAT ALLOTMENT 15% of total seats are given reserved for candidates of Scheduled Castes and 7.5% for those from the Scheduled Tribes PROVIDED all other requirements are satisfactorily met PHYSICAL HEALTH Candidates are examined by authorized medical officials for proof of adequate physical fitness
SELECTION CRITERIA Selection is based on the Joint Entrance Examination given by the IIT; a merit list is prepared after the written test and interview are completed and the Director General of Shipping has the authority to chose which of the 2 training programmes the candidate is best suited for (students can let their preference be known) Both the T.S. Chanakya and MERI institutions do help (under no Government obligations) in recruiting their graduates in suitable Indian Shipping Companies.
Ratings - There are 3 training establishments in India which offer a 3-month course for future cadets in the engine room and deck departments, namely the T.S. Bhadra (Calcutta), the T.S. Mekhala (Vishakhapatnam) and T.S. Navalakshi. Radio Officers - Anyone wishing to become a marine Radio Officer needs to pass the Certificate of Competency Examination (for second or first class radio officer). This is conducted by the Wireless Advisor to the Government of India, Wireless Planning and Coordination, Ministry of Communications, Sardar Patel Bhawan, New Delhi - 110 001 Students who have done their SSC and are in the age group of 17 years and above are eligible to join these institutions.
Training Institutes for Radio Officers All India College of Engineering & Marine Communication, 548-B, Rishi Nagar, Rani Bagh, Near Punjab National Bank, Delhi 110034 Dr. Ramana's Institute of Marine Electronics, 4, Shastri Park, Chandra Nagar, Delhi 110051 (Regular/correspondence course) New Delhi Professional Studies, 16/681, Faiz Road, Karol Bagh, New Delhi 110005 Oceanic Institute of Marine Electronics, B-39, Panchsheel Enclave, New Delhi 110017 Seamen's Institute of Marine Electronics, P.O. Barlowganj, Mussoorie 248122 Hindustan Marine Electronics Institute, 2589, Phase 1, Urban Estate, Dugri Road, Ludhiana 141002 Hindustan Marine Electronics Institute, P.O. Majra, Saharanpur Road, Dehradun 248171 Central Institute of Marine Communications, 166, Vanniar Street, Choolaimedu, Madras 600094 Marcopolo Institute of Marine Electronics, 43, Wheeler Road, Cox Town, Bangalore 560005 Indian Maritime College, 14-A, Masilamani Street, T. Nagar, Madras 600017 Royal Telegraph Institute, 34, Sunkuvar Agraharam Street, Chintadripet, Madras 600002 National Institute of Marine Electronics, No. 48, Second Main Road, Gandhi Nagar, Adyar, Madras 600020 Dr. Ramana's Institute of Marine Electronics, 162, Lattice Bridge Road, Thiruvanmiyur, Madras 600041 Marconi Institute of Marine Electronics, 75, Perumal Street, Royapettah, Madras 600014 National Institute of Marine Electronics, 12, Govt. Library Street, Ayyannar Nagar, Pondicherry 605013 Marconi Institute of Marine Electronics, No. 8, Bagat Singh II Street, Valandipalayam, Coimbatore 641025 Indian Marine College, 3-4-214, Kachiguda Station Road, Hyderabad 500027 Rajendra Institute of Marine Electronics, C-104, Lal Kothi Scheme, Jaipur 15 Seacom Marine College, 11, Kendua Main Road, Garia, Calcutta 700084
11th March 2012, 06:01 PM
mobeshpal
Senior Member+++++

Hi Dear

after complete your 12th then you go for ITI then you go for study in
Merchant navy .

Here i will give some information about this study:-

Courses : Career in Merchant Navy can be pursued either as an officer or a rating in mainly two specialized fields, i.e. Marine Engineering and Nautical (deck). To become a seafarer, following streams of entries (Pre-Sea courses) are available to Indian citizens in the Government as well as in private training institutions (recognized and approved by Director General of Shipping, Ministry of Shipping):-

Officers

3 year degree course in Nautical Science for (10+2) students.

4 year degree course in Marine Engineering for (10+2) students.

2 year course for Diploma Holders.

1 year course for Graduate Mechanical Engineers.

3 month course for Deck Cadets for (10+2) students.

Rating (Entry standard Xth)

4 month Pre-Sea Course for General Purpose (GP) rating.

3 month Pre-Sea Course for Deck rating.

3 month Pre-Sea Course for Engine rating.

4 month Pre-Sea Course for Saloon rating.

In addition, a candidate can join as utility hand or Petty Officers (Fitters) after completing 4 Basic Courses, i.e. FPFF, EFA, PSSR and PST.
bullet

Govt training Institutes : There are four Government Training Institutes providing Pre-Sea and Post-Sea training of international standard :

Training Ship Chanakya, Navi Mumbai.

Marine Engineering & Research Institute (MERI), Kolkata.

Marine Engineering & Research Institute (MERI), Mumbai.

Lal Bahadur Shastri College of advanced Maritime Studies and Research, Mumbai.

12th March 2012, 03:35 PM
dc627

sir, i hv cmpleted mech. engg. nw i want 2 join merchant navy can u tell me hw dis possible????
13th March 2012, 03:28 AM
tanu47

Dear,
I’d like to inform u that ,u can’t join merchant navy. The student who pass 12th in stream of (PCM) ,they are eligible for merchant navy. You can apply for other courses like B.com,B.B.A etc.

All the best.
15th March 2012, 09:32 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharmaradha1 View Post
Ans. I am sorry to say that u cant join merchant navy. The student who pass 12th in stream of physics chemistry & maths ,they are eligible for merchant navy. You can apply for other courses like B.com,B.B.A etc..........

Thank you

yes, you can join merchant navy as a gp rating(general purpose).
eligibility for this is you must passed your class 10th with atleast 40% marks..
15th March 2012, 09:37 PM
Dexter_Morgan

Eligibility

Mechanical Engineering,Marine Engineering or B.Sc Nautical Science from Recognized University or Institute

Engineering

-->They are Responsible for Efficient and Smooth Operation of the Ship

-->Take Care of all Engineering Equipment installed on the Ship

Eligibility

Mechanical Engineering,Marian Engineering Or B.Sc in Nautical Science from Recognized university or Institute

Radio and Wireless Communication

Concerned with Shore and Maintenance of the Equipments as well

Light Keepers help in operating the Signaling Equipments of the Ship
15th March 2012, 10:07 PM
TrinityKiller

Criteria of nda exam:-

1)you have completed 10+2 with 60 %(pcm)
2)age-16.5 to 19
3)indian
4)unmarried
5)only men

so you are not applicable for this post
6th March 2015, 01:07 PM
Unregistered

sir. me apna B.A(geography)pass, ITI(fitter) se complet kr liya hu. to merchant navy me job krna chahta hu to kya krna hoga
20th April 2015, 10:56 PM
Unregistered

Good evening sir. I have passed 12 from commerce and have completed b.com and iti (electrician) also. Can i get a ship job as a petty officer (electrician or electronic mechanic)? I am going to do basic safety courses and few other courses under stcw 2010.Sir please tell me. I am very tensed about my career. Thank you for your kindly attention.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?