17th July 2010, 02:00 PM
harikishan.kethavath

Which subjects are best for maths student for IAS (mains) preparations?

friends
i am engineer , i want become IAS , so subjects are best for achieve my goal

Related Questions:
  1. Is it better to choose subjects other than i had in graduation for IAS preparations?
  2. Which subjects are to be chosen by an engineering student majoring in ECE for IAS preparations?
  3. Which two subjects are best suited for IAS preparations for an electrical engineering student?
  4. Which two subjects are best suited for IAS preparations for an electrical engineering student?
  5. Which subjects should an IT student choose for IAS mains exam?
  6. How to write IAS exam if I am a engineering student?
  7. Which subjects should I take up for mains for IAS exam? Best books to be referred?
  8. What all subjects will be there in IAS mains subject other than optional subject? -- [New]
  9. How should I appear for IAS exam? Books to be read for IAS mains?
  10. Detailed syllabus of IAS exam? How many subjects can be selected in Main exam?
  11. What are the advantages of being MBA? Which subjects to prepare for IAS Main Exam?
  12. Which books to refer for preparation for IAS prelims and Mains exam? -- [Most Discussed]
  13. If I am a B.A 3rd year student can I give the IAS entrance exam? Which subjects should I opt for mains exam? My subjects are Hindi, English, Economics and Edu
  14. Best suitable course after XII Medical to become an IAS Officer?
  15. Which is the best graduation before the preparations for IAS?
  16. Is it better to choose different subjects or which i had in my graduation for IAS preparations?
  17. Eligibility criteria for IAS examination?
  18. Which among sociology, public administration, psychology & political science is best for IAS preparations? Any better choice?
17th July 2010, 03:56 PM
mini rani
Senior Member++

Default Re: Which subjects are best for maths student for IAS (mains) preparations?

Hi!

Which subject to choose for achieving your goal is a question which only you can answer. Others can only give their opinion.

In order to answer this question you must be clear in your mind as what is the goal that you want to achieve. Then analyse the ways in which you can achieve these goals. You will foud that you have many alternatives available. Finally select the best possible alternative.

To be more specific, list the subjects wchich you can take up for IAS(mains) preparation.
Then select the subject in which you have a good command. You will find it easier to prepare for mains exam. Remember the best subject is one in which you are strong & are interseted.

Alternatively you can also appear in IES exam & you can also select a range of other subjects.
17th July 2010, 05:38 PM
chaudharyvishal88

Post Re: Which subjects are best for maths student for IAS (mains) preparations?

Hello harikishan.kethavath,

It's a great idea harikishan. According to me you can choose Maths in preliminary exam of civil service & for main you can select Maths & Public Administration subjects, because the syllabus of Public Administration are not so much big. you can cover up easily this subject...

But final decision is depends on you my friend...

Good Luck

Vishal Chaudhary
17th July 2010, 09:16 PM
N.MD.AZHARUDDIN
Senior Member+

Default Re: Which subjects are best for maths student for IAS (mains) preparations?

hiii yeah english , history an geography are best subjects i guess because these are the subject for more information u can check out these website
http://www.onestopias.com/ias-preparation.asp
http://www.squidoo.com/iasguide
17th July 2010, 11:36 PM
faiyaz
Senior Member++++

Well if you are talking about Optional subject slelction for IAS (Mains) then being an Engineer opting for Mathematics will be better for you. But the Maths which will be there in IAS will be different from that of Engineering MAthematics.

There is also 3 Engineering subjects involved in IAS that are Civil, Mechanical and Electrical Engineering so you can also opt for anyone of them.

Otherwise, opting for Physics or English is also a better option.

But the most better thing is to opt for the subject which you think will be better for you because "No one can judge you better then yourself".

Regards
~Faiyaz~
28th August 2010, 10:01 AM
maddusajj
Senior Member+++++

it entirely depends on your interest,
take the subject which you feel you are strong in and that only you know so no one can advice you on it
all the best
28th August 2010, 12:35 PM
rajesh gupta 1

Dear friend;

As you are from the engineerig field;

So for you MATH & PHYSICS is the best paper for

IAS preparation.Because these are the subject

which is mostly numerical type, So you score

full marks in any question ; if you answer correct.
29th August 2010, 12:23 AM
ansh_ansh
Senior Member++++

dear friend,

it depends totally upon you, you have to choose the subjects in which

you have more interest.

so check the list of the subjects for the IAS exam then match it with your

interest, and then select the subjects.
13th September 2010, 01:10 PM
Unregistered

sir, i hav done B.tech from cse and i have interest in maths so can i have maths in ias ? is it subject are very hard for ias?
thank u.
17th September 2010, 12:34 AM
Pathfinder
Senior Member++++

The subjects must be chosen by yourself as we dont know your capacity and interest. So as a maths student if you have interest in maths then do consider maths as your subject choice otherwise you can choose the subjects from Arts side too.

But at the end of the day you will have to study those subjects in order to clear the test.

So whatever you chose make sure you are well versed with it and your confidence in that subject must be high then only its possible to crack IAS as there is lots of competition around
17th September 2010, 12:43 AM
noproblem

You can take civil,mechanical,electrical as all the 3 are included in IAS exam

Otherwise you can take physics
&
AT LAST THE Math in IAS is different from as that of in engineering

All the best 4 your future
17th September 2010, 12:49 AM
rahul k
Senior Member+++++

Dear friend

Choosing a optional subjects, is basically depends on you. So, its better to choose some good subjects according to your interest.

But according to me, Electrical engineering and Mathematics are the best subjests to choose in IAS exams, but both they are tough.

So, please choose subjects according to your interest. If you choose subjects with your own interest, then you will get sucess in this exams...............
17th September 2010, 01:44 AM
vike
Senior Member+++++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
sir, i hav done B.tech from cse and i have interest in maths so can i have maths in ias ? is it subject are very hard for ias?
thank u.
Dear friend
You can choose any of the listed 25 subjects for your mains examination.
IAS examination is assumed to be toughest of its kind and so one need to study as deep as possible. You can't do your preparation unless you find your good interest in the subject. So as per IAS experts one should choose only those subjects which he/she likes very much to study, no matter what subject did you study in graduation.
There should not be any pressure on you by yourself. If your graduation subject is among the 25 optional subject then confusion arises but your subject ie computer science is not one of those so there is no question of confusion for you at least. You should choose as per your interest.
Maths is a subject of interest only. One who can't find interest in it would fear from simple equations even and the one who finds interest in it,he/she play with those equations very happily.
So there is no question of tough, hard. You are going to appear the toughest examination of India and there is no way to find an easy subject.
Just believe in yourself and your work, rest leave on fate.
Good Luck
17th September 2010, 09:01 PM
nuzhat fathima

hi,The prelims are held around May-June.It has objective ie multiple choice questions. There are two papers (duration of each being 2 hrs).

a) General studies
b) Optional subject
18th September 2010, 12:31 AM
imira
Senior Member+++++

Dear friend, this question can be answered only by yourself. You can think and list down the subjects you are confident and select the mains in which you have most interest and passionate. Since you are an engineer, you would be strong at mathematics. Or else, you can also opt physics or chemistry. However, the decision can only be taken by you, because it is your career you are building up.
18th September 2010, 12:37 AM
sanjusabu

Quote:
Originally Posted by harikishan.kethavath View Post
friends
i am engineer , i want become IAS , so subjects are best for achieve my goal

IAS means Indian Administrative Services and is basically meant for those aspiring candidates who have strong dedication towards the country.

IAS Syllabus includes the following :-

1) Psychology
2) Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science
3) Public Administration
4) Agriculture
5) Sociology
6) Botany
7) Chemistry
8) Geology
9) Electrical Engineering
10) Civil Engineering
11) Economics
12) Commerce and Accountancy
13) History
14) Geography
15) Physics
16) Medical Science
17) Law
18) Mathematics
19) Mechanical Engineering
20) Philosophy
21) Zoology
22) Political Science
23) Statistics

As you are from engineering so you must choose following subjects :-

Public Administration, Electrical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, Mechanical Engineering etc.
19th September 2010, 05:54 PM
Unregistered

math and physicsis mycompulsory subject for IAS please tell me about the course for b.sc math student
13th November 2010, 01:22 PM
Unregistered

i am preparing for IAS with physics as optional subject, what is the level of questions for physics asked in IAS exams i.e. graduatio or 12th standard
13th November 2010, 11:36 PM
Unregistered

Hi
can i opt electrical engineering and physics together in IAS mains examination ?
14th November 2010, 08:59 AM
malini k

Dear friend,
You can opt the subject in which you can perform well.In my opinion ,you can opt the Engg subjects like civil,mech,and electrical
You can also select mathematics subject and physics or English
Its up to you to find your interest and select the subject
Good luck
15th November 2010, 07:31 PM
Unregistered

i m a engineering student. can i take main subject from arts background for mains exam in IAS

manoj kumar
25th November 2010, 11:34 AM
Unregistered

sir what subject should i choose for ias main exam my options is history,public ad,philosophy plese tell me subject combination which is the good for me?
11th December 2010, 07:31 PM
Unregistered

Sir i am a student of physics can physics and maths are better option for i.a.s
1st May 2011, 12:03 PM
svlydxgd

Lightbulb TthWFyCHmTSsE

n7OOki <a href="http://asvuwtjxjsmm.com/">asvuwtjxjsmm</a>, uehrilfetdem, [link=http://mhflsfrufqca.com/]mhflsfrufqca[/link], http://wpknbuztcmcn.com/
31st May 2011, 04:09 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.MD.AZHARUDDIN View Post
hiii yeah english , history an geography are best subjects i guess because these are the subject for more information u can check out these website
http://www.onestopias.com/ias-preparation.asp
http://www.squidoo.com/iasguide
maths and english
12th June 2011, 10:45 AM
Unregistered

can i take maths and civil engenering
15th June 2011, 11:11 PM
amit gaur2065

My friend, if u want to do preparation for IAS then , HYSTORY, ENGLISH is the better option because these are easily handled.
25th June 2011, 12:05 PM
Unregistered

i m doing bsc with computer science.what subject i have to choose for ias prepration??
30th June 2011, 04:24 PM
Unregistered

i am doing bsc with physics . i want to ask that which subject is more scoring in all subject for ias exam ??
2nd July 2011, 02:44 PM
sachin6

It depends on your interest. They are many subjects for preparing ias exam
3rd July 2011, 11:38 AM
Unregistered

From my childhood onwards I've a lot of interest in Maths.. Also I'm an Engineering student.. So I want to take Public Ad. & Mathematics as my optionals... What do you say..?

-Arya Vardhaa
24th September 2011, 11:14 AM
Unregistered

sir,i am m.sc maths student.in beginning i want to select maths.but many of them told there is no proper material &guidanence for maths.sir please help me.which combination shall i select
24th September 2011, 08:45 PM
Unregistered

hi .......i m mohan , i have done b-tech from cs ........what subt r better 4 me..........
24th September 2011, 08:52 PM
Unregistered

hw much time to spend daily in maths ..........if i take maths subt............
8th October 2011, 07:07 PM
Unregistered

Is history & public administration are better subjects for ias & if they are then what are good books for these?
5th January 2012, 08:19 PM
Unregistered

i have stutied in english upto class 12 but my english is not so good as needed for ias so which medium should i choose
15th May 2012, 01:06 PM
onest

The subjects must be chosen by yourself as we dont know your capacity and interest. So as a maths student if you have interest in maths then do consider maths as your subject choice otherwise you can choose the subjects from Arts side too.

But at the end of the day you will have to study those subjects in order to clear the test.

So whatever you chose make sure you are well versed with it and your confidence in that subject must be high then only its possible to crack IAS as there is lots of competition around
15th May 2012, 01:08 PM
onest

19th July 2012, 02:34 PM
Unregistered

sir ! my self is kanika aggarwal....im a b tech 1 year student in ece nd i want to prepare for ias but i does'nt have any little information about this....that is i don't know how to prepare for it nd which subject i have to choose.... so can u plz tell me about this........i will be very thankful to you
22nd August 2012, 10:13 PM
Unregistered

i have heard that people choosing science and engineering subjects as optionals are given least priority during selection process as we all know that there is a conflict between upsc board and iit..is that true?
23rd August 2012, 12:14 AM
prince raj1

hi...
For the mains exam, Along with 5 compulsory papers(two for general studies, one for essay, for a language from 18 optional languages) and one for qualifying English and, candidate has to choose two subjects from a list of 25 optional subjects. Following are the not allowed combinations in the UPSC syllabus-

-> Political Science International relations and Public Administration,
-> Commerce Accountancy and Management,
-> Anthropology and Sociology,
-> Mathematics and Statistics,
-> Agriculture and Animal Husbandry Veterinary Science,
-> Management and Public Administration,
-> Any TWO branches of Engineering,
-> Medical Science and Animal Husbandry Veterinary Science,
-> Combination of TWO Literature
23rd August 2012, 01:53 AM
ram_9966

hi sir i am parashuram completed my b.tech in e.c.e i want to take electrical engineering and maths insted of maths which is subject is better to me
23rd August 2012, 02:22 AM
sumitjha14u
Senior Member+

hello dear,
if a maths student have interest in maths then consider maths as your subject choice otherwise you can choose the subjects from Arts
IAS examination is assumed to be toughest exam and so you need to study as deep as possible. So as per IAS experts one should choose only those subjects which he likes very much to study, no matter what subject did you study in graduation.
So whatever you chose make sure that you are well versed with it and your confidence in that subject must be high then only its possible to crack IAS as there is lots of competition around

good luck
24th November 2012, 03:04 PM
Unregistered

iam interested in maths.so i chose maths as one optional.
iam very fond of stories.whatever i read i remember in a story formate.
so i want to choose history.
is my desicion good?
plz advise me..
23rd January 2013, 12:42 PM
sahoop
Senior Member+++

hi,,,

subjects are best for maths student for IAS (mains) preparations

1.Mathematics
2.Botany
3.Commerce and Accountancy
4.Chemistry
5.Mathematics
6.Philosophy
7.Mechanical Engineering
8.Political Science
9.Public Administration

all the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
24th February 2013, 04:42 PM
Unregistered

as i m graduated from b.sc. physics (h),so which optionals i should choose for IAS exam?
18th June 2013, 10:40 PM
Unregistered

Can a commerce student attemp ias exam from maths?
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?