18th September 2016, 01:18 AM
Unregistered

Is it a good option to complete post graduation course before applying for the UPSC exam?

I am doing my bachelor degree in economics from.du after my graduation i want to try for upsc so i want to know after my graduation if i do master in my particular sub(economics) ,whether its going to help me in my civil services exam or i should start preparing after my graduation for upsc plz help me i am really in.a big confusion, and also want ask whether mba in eco would be more benificial or ma in economics for upsc...plz help me i will remain thankful to you..

Related Questions:
  1. Which is better option? To complete UG and PG in USA or complete UG in India and PG in USA?
  2. Can I do any geography oriented degree in future?
  3. Which post graduation course is good with 38% BA graduation in Marathi?
  4. Which option is suits on me MBA(IT+HR) or M.Sc IT through correspondence? I have done diploma in software engineering from NIIT and graduation in B.Sc IT through correspondence
  5. Can I be eligible for M.Tech after doing BSc in computer science
  6. Which subject will help me to prepare for IAS? I have passed 12th from commerce maths stream
  7. Is it possible to do PG Diploma/Diploma in Civil/Mechanical Engineering through Distance/Correspondence Studies (AICTE Approved)
  8. What are the jobs available for a candidate with BA English and BPO experience?
  9. What are the career options after completion of diploma in Electrical? -- [New]
  10. How to be an IPS officer after completing BSc final year? I am 1st semester student of BSc
  11. Am I eligible for B.Ed and TET after doing B.Com with 49.33%
  12. Core Entrance Exams which I can write being a candidate of doing B.Tech in EI? Eligibility to write these Exams?
  13. How can I become an IAS officer after completing 2nd PUC with 40%
  14. Which course can be done during under graduation in B.Com?
  15. How to apply for Ph.D course and what qualification is needed?
  16. MBA, M.Pharma or Banking preparation: Better choice after B.Pharmacy?
  17. What is the process of applying to IAS? -- [Most Discussed]
  18. Is there any option available to do Post graduation course in Law after completing Engineering in IT?
18th September 2016, 04:00 PM
Saikiranreddy47475
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Is it a good option to complete post graduation course before applying for the UPSC exam?

No, there will not be any advantage even if complete post graduation course to apply for UPSC examination. Candidates who have completed Bachelor's degree or an equivalent course in any discipline from a recognised university are eligible to appear in UPSC examination. The selection of candidates for UPSC examination based jobs mainly depends upon your performance in the written test and personal interview. So, I suggest you to concentrate on UPSC examination preparation instead of doing post graduation if you aim for a job based on UPSC examination.
18th September 2016, 08:31 PM
Aswiniteju
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Is it a good option to complete post graduation course before applying for the UPSC exam?

There are many examinations that are being conducted by Union Public Service Commission (UPSC). They are,

>> Civil Services Examination

>> Indian Economic Service Exam/ Indian Statistical Exam

>> Indian Foreign Services

>> Indian Forest Services

>> National Defence Academy

>> Special Class Railway Apprentice

>> Combined Defence Service Exam

If you are willing to apply for "Indian Economic Services" then I suggest you to apply for IES and for which the minimum qualification required is "Master's Degree" in Economics. On the other side, if you are willing to apply for IAS/ IPS/ Civil Services then there is no need of doing Post Graduate Degree as the minimum qualification required is "Graduate Degree" itself.
18th September 2016, 08:56 PM
Khurit
Senior Member+

You should know that to apply for UPSC civil service exam a candidate must be graduate from a valid university. If you wish to go for post graduation then you can or you can also prepare after graduation only.So choice is your's what you want to do.
Post graduation will added additional benefit to your education but it will not help you in facing exams and interview.
If you do MBA then again it will do the same.
18th September 2016, 09:06 PM
taputanya
Senior Member+++++

As per my suggestion as you are going to complete your graduation very soon from Delhi University in economics hence you should directly apply for UPSC exam immediately after completion of your graduation because you will get experience. If you have some other interest also such as in teaching then you can complete your post graduation first and then you can apply for UPSC exam.
Otherwise if you are totally committed to yourself that you have to qualify the civil services exams then you should drop one year after your graduation for your preparation by joining coaching institute.
18th September 2016, 09:12 PM
ajayrocks007
Senior Member+++++

There is no requirement of post graduation for UPSC civil services exam. Hence, doing it will not have any effect on eligibility criteria. However, if you are looking to apply for UPSC IES/ISS exam, then post graduation in economics will make you eligible for that exam too.

Hence, it depends on your choice. If you are aiming for IES/ISS exam, which is also conducted by UPSC, then it will be a good decision to go for it.
2nd June 2018, 08:54 AM
Unregistered

I have completed my ug and also joined coaching institution for one year.now I have decided to do post graduation on my optional subject itself while also preparing for my civil services.is that a good decision ???
8th July 2018, 12:49 PM
Unregistered

I have completed my graduation but I am confused about to go for pg or upsc preparation
12th August 2018, 05:19 PM
Unregistered

I have completed my B.com and I'm in hell lot of confusion what to do next. I have a option of joining M.com or UPSC. Is is good to join UPSC now itself or shall I go with a backup by doing Mcom.
17th April 2019, 03:00 PM
Unregistered

It is necessary that if I want to take anthropology as an optional for upsc to complete first pg degree in anthropology.
11th February 2020, 04:59 PM
Unregistered

I am very confused about going for pg after ug or straightaway sit for upsc preparation religiously. Please help
26th May 2022, 04:36 PM
Unregistered

I'm a student pursuing graduation in Economics. Is it essential to do PG before doing UPSC preparation? As I've been told that the optional subject questions comes on the basis of masters degree so will PG help?
6th June 2022, 12:51 PM
Hera tabrez
Senior Member+++++

Those who have completed bachelor's degree or any equivalent course in any discipline from any recognised institution are eligible to appear for UPSC exam.

There is not any additional advantage of doing post graduation and it's not even necessary for UPSC
Bachelor's degree is sufficient for UPSC exam.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?