8th March 2018, 05:53 PM
Unregistered

Should I apply for Common Proficiency Test if pursuing B.Sc(Economics)?

Hello, I am studying B.Sc(Economics) and this is my 1st year. I am thinking to join ICAI. So, I am planning to give CPT entrance. But my friends are telling me to do ICAI program after Graduation. So, what I can do now? I take admission or wait for become Graduate?

15th April 2018, 05:48 AM
Career Expert
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Should I apply for Common Proficiency Test if pursuing B.Sc(Economics)?

Yes, you can apply for Common Proficiency Test (CPT) while pursuing first year of B.Sc. (Economics) course. Candidates who have passed 12th standard or an equivalent examination from a Government recognised board are eligible to appear in CPT examination. There is no much difference to pursue ICAI course after 12th standard or graduation. But, only candidates who have secured at least 55% aggregate in Commerce stream or 60% aggregate marks in Non-Commerce stream Bachelor's degree course from a Government recognised university are exempted from appearing in CPT examination and they can directly register for IPCC level of ICAI course.
15th April 2018, 08:30 AM
Saikiranreddy47475
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Should I apply for Common Proficiency Test if pursuing B.Sc(Economics)?

If you are interested to join ICAI, then you should have to apply for CPT examination. You should have passed Higher Secondary course from a recognised board to be eligible to appear in CPT examination..

The CPT examination is conducted twice a year in the months of June and December. It is best to do CA course directly after completion of your 12th standard as there will not be any advantage except an exemption from CPT examination, if you join CA course after completion of your B.Sc. (Economics) course.
15th April 2018, 10:24 AM
avinash1997
Senior Member+++++

Since you are interested in giving CPT ( Common Proficiency Test ) while studying your bachelor degree course then you should go for the same as there is no harm in trying to clear CPT while studying graduation and if the result is positive it is all good otherwise you can skip CPT and apply for IPCC ( Integrated Professional Competence Course ) directly once you complete your B.Sc degree in Economics with at least 60% marks from a recognized university.
17th April 2018, 02:02 PM
Ishaquekhan
Senior Member+++++

If you have completed your class 12th with Commerce stream, then only you are eligible to opt for the CPT examination based on class 12th education. Otherwise, you are not eligible to opt for the CPT examination as it is only for Commerce stream candidates.
Candidates those who have completed their class 12th examination with Commerce stream from a recognized Board can apply for the CPT examination.
18th April 2018, 06:40 PM
Angry Girl
Senior Member+++++

Graduates in Non-Commerce with minimum 60%marks are directly eligible to apply for Integrated Professional Competence course which is second stage of Chartered Accountancy course.

So, it will be a good decision if you pursue this course after B.Sc(Economics) completion. You will get exemption from CPT. At present, you can concentrate on your B.Sc(Economics).
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?