25th March 2010, 10:56 PM
ankichem

CAT or GATE which exam is tougher to crack?

CAT or GATE which exam is tougher to crack?AS far I know in spite of cracking the cat exam with high level score one can't gate chance in IIM A,B or C unless having degree from top institutes of India,whereas in case of taking admission in an IIT after getting higher score in GATE,such criteria doesn't matter.What's the logic behind this?

26th March 2010, 09:58 AM
rahul k
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: CAT or GATE which exam is tougher to crack?

my dear friend, I feel the most competitive exam is cat...........because in this exams you have to need lots of practice and confidence.......without preperation both the exams are tough..........
26th March 2010, 12:34 PM
Bella
Senior Member++++

both the exams are eually ahrd it depends on hw you prepare try to do best in any of these and you will succeed
26th March 2010, 10:49 PM
nalanda
Senior Member++

hi friend,
both are the different exams,
and according to me gate is easier than the cat,
and you can crack gate easily that the cat,
o k
all the best
27th March 2010, 07:22 PM
subhasish
Senior Member++

dear friend
it can not be said that which one is tough or which one is easy.
want you want to do matters.
if you are interested in doing CAT then go for it otherwise choose GATE.
it depends on your interest.
good luck.
29th March 2010, 01:18 AM
princearyan
Senior Member+

you see cat and gate are different in their field...
so the syllabus is quite different....
the GATE syllabus is mostly based on technical courses..
and cat for all who want to get into MBA colleges...
and i think GATE is quite easier than CAT...
18th May 2010, 09:32 PM
kool
Senior Member++

Thumbs up Re: CAT or GATE which exam is tougher to crack?

dear friend CAT & GATE both exams are for different sectors, so none can compare between these two.
which exam is tougher & which is easy its fully depend on your interest.
If you feel very comfortable in your technical paper then you can easily crack GATE otherwise you can crack CAT.
its only depend upon you.
good luck.
26th May 2010, 05:12 PM
Aditya.addy
Senior Member+

dear friend,
both have equal importance.
exam do not get tougher by the questions it asks.it is only in your mind that it gets tougher.
if you work hard for any of these areas with strong determination,you can crack any of these exam.
they both have different aspects .one is technical line while other is business line.
so forget about the level of toughness ,work hard on any and make good strategy .
1st June 2010, 09:14 PM
Unregistered

does NCC has any reservation for GATE exam?
19th July 2010, 01:51 PM
NISAMTI

both are equally tough.because they are of open competition held allover india.GATE is for any bachelor degree holder..anyone who completed their bachelor's degree are capable of writing this exam.and CAT is he exam held all over for studying MATER OF BUSINESS ADMINISRATION in B-Schools.but are equally tough..
20th July 2010, 08:55 PM
Kumar Mayank

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankichem View Post
CAT or GATE which exam is tougher to crack?AS far I know in spite of cracking the cat exam with high level score one can't gate chance in IIM A,B or C unless having degree from top institutes of India,whereas in case of taking admission in an IIT after getting higher score in GATE,such criteria doesn't matter.What's the logic behind this?
I consider CAT to be tougher because one of my elder sisters sat for it and found it the toughest exam she had ever appeared for.Well,in my opinion I also think that none of the exams are hard to crack once we determine soulfully to go for it and yes,we must have the capabilities for sure.
20th July 2010, 10:05 PM
sharad3010

hey friend i dont know what to say to u

but listen every exam is tough if u have not prepared for it and its easy if u have well prepared

so what u want to do just set it as ur target and start preparing for it and u will find to crack it was most easy task

good luck
21st July 2010, 03:03 PM
solution
Senior Member++++

hello friend

gate & cat both are different exam for different courses.

gate for doing m.tech.

cat for doing mba from good institute.

if you have b.tech degree,and you can do mba.this will be very good carrier opportunity for you.

all the best......
21st July 2010, 04:31 PM
LOKESH RAJPUT

AS AN INCREASING NUMBER OF GRADUATES OPT FOR THE GATE, SHWETA APTE COMPARES THE RISE OF CANDIDATES IN THIS TECHNICAL POSTGRADUATE ENTRANCE TEST, TO ITS MANAGEMENT COUNTERPART- THE CAT

GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) is an entrance test for postgraduate studies in technology from reputed institutes in India like the IITs, IISc and NITs. It is a coveted dream for every engineering candidate to secure admission into these globally renowned institutes. These institutes offer the M. Tech degree which is accepted worldwide. It is said that it may be possible to enter into IITs but it takes real vigor to sail through the grind of IITs - it is an experience which truly transforms one’s personality.

CAT is yet another national level exam which is a gateway to postgraduate studies in management from reputed institutes in India like IIMs, XLRI, ISB etc. It has been noticed in the recent past that the number of aspirants appearing for CAT was increasing; for CAT 2009 the count reached to almost 2,75,000. CAT is basically a common aptitude test which tests a student’s general ability in verbal, quantitative and reasoning skills.

GATE is purely a technical test which tests one’s fundamentals in engineering. To check the aptitude of candidates, IITs have also included a section of general aptitude in GATE papers from 2009. Since GATE is a technical exam, it is obvious that there cannot be one common paper for all engineering streams- there are different papers for computers, electronics, instrumentation, electrical, mechanical, etc.

The importance of GATE is steeply increasing nowadays. The changes and new developments at AICTE now make it mandatory, for those who want to take up teaching as a profession, to have cleared GATE. Also most of the government and public sector companies like BARC, BHEL, ISRO, etc require GATE score to be eligible for their recruitment tests. GATE is also becoming an additional eligibility criterion for many part time management programs like MMM, MFM and MHRDM.

The number of IITs is also increasing, so more seats are available for MTech aspirants. It was found a couple of years back that the number of aspirants appearing for CAT was increasing with leaps and bounds and reached a figure of almost three lakhs. This time it was observed that the number of students who appeared for GATE 2010 in Computer Science was 107086, Electronics was 104291, Electrical was 52246, Instrumentation was 14476 and in Mechanical, was 59338 candidates.

GATE is conducted in 26 different subjects; if the five major streams of engineering alone have crossed the figure of three lakhs, it is quite clear that the total figure of GATE aspirants has increased exponentially. This indicates that engineering students probably want to stick to their technical studies and prefer to pursue M. Tech. To conclude, I would say, management or technical postgraduate studies have gained a significant importance in today’s competitive world since organizations want people trained in their areas of specializations. It is imperative to understand your aptitude, what your requirements are, and make a well-informed decision.
21st July 2010, 11:48 PM
sathsish

Smile Re: CAT or GATE which exam is tougher to crack?

hello friend,
I feel the most competitive exam is cat.
because gate is little easier than cat..so you can go with easier gate
but, both the exams are tough..without good preparation
and you can get all details regarding this in this website given below:

http://www.gate.iitb.ac.in/gate2010_website/

all the very best dude..@@ do well..
22nd July 2010, 12:33 AM
Rupaksinha

Hello,
if u have will power then both exams are simple for u.don't get confussed for appearing the CATor GATE. both are different field such as management and technical, if u r from technical background then u must appear for both the exam.
22nd July 2010, 01:02 AM
trupti_9227

hello,
you should not take any of these lightly.both are difficult to crack.so, work hard & best of luck
22nd July 2010, 10:32 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

acco. to me CAT is far far difficult than GATE.however there is no any criteria that only the students of top institutes can join cat.only main thing is of cut off which is 70% marks in +2 for CAT
22nd July 2010, 01:12 PM
nillu
Senior Member+

There are somethings in life to which we cannot compare same is the case here also. Both the exams are top exams of their respective fields.
No doubt CAT is very tough and requires high level of expertise.
Same is with GATE also.
So it all depends on the capabilities of the individual + little bit of luck factor.
22nd July 2010, 04:55 PM
karthu
Senior Member+

hai
Both will be easy if you have deep knowledge in your subject & both will be equally tough if you are not prepared for it.Youcan go for various coaching centres in your locality for betterment.
23rd July 2010, 06:54 PM
NISAMTI

hi friend,i think CAT is tougher than GATE. because,GATE though it is an open competition for all the streams of P.G.courses.you must get the score almost 90 + percentage.
and in CAT...you need experience of work for studying in such b-schools..both are tough..comparatively,CAT is tougher than GATE ..COMPETITION will be more for GATE as,it is related to all the streams..in any exam.you need to have subject yar..
24th July 2010, 09:25 PM
NISAMTI

hi friend..i will help us in making understand the logic behind as far i know..GATE is the India wide open competition for all streams for studying P.G. courses.it the entrance exam..as it is for all the streams.and it is competitive one,off-course.you can good percentile in GATE..the percentile must be extravagant..you need to word hard pretty well..
Coming to CAT..it is totally very tough course to attempt..depending the score of your CAT exam..you will get call letters from the B-schools and all most..mostly,many graduates toppers also failed in this round.then they will conduct interviews..here,they will filter in the interviews..mainly,you must have work experience for some standard B-schools of management sciences..good luck
25th July 2010, 05:03 PM
sharmila jain

according to me CAT is more tougher than the gate ..it needs lots of practice and even take training ..
25th July 2010, 09:49 PM
subhasish
Senior Member++

Neither of the exam are tough or easy just do the preparation and do your study accordingly..

But remember one thing that both the exams belongs to different fields ,so if you feel interest in the management then go for it without thing about the tough or easy.

Or if you are interested in the technical field then go for the GATE exam,All the best.
28th July 2010, 05:25 PM
NISAMTI

if you want to study top college you need to work hard in any of the exams either CAT or GATE.and if you study in any college either inefficient college also..cat and gate will be easy..for cat ,you need work experience..better try to keep your effort in GATE..but study to get the adminisssion in top colleges..good luck
28th July 2010, 07:01 PM
subhash5687
Banned

Thumbs up Re: CAT or GATE which exam is tougher to crack?

Quote:
my dear friend cat is more tough to crack bcz it has interviw an d very hard wrirren test
29th July 2010, 12:26 AM
happy to help

This thing a lot depends on your preparation
CAT is the tougher paper in comparison of 2
without preparation all is tough
otherwise ALL IS WELL
29th July 2010, 01:12 AM
prashantmeghalia
Senior Member++

Quote:
both exams are equally tough. If you don,t prepare well, you can not pass any of them. With good preparations both the exams will become easy to pass. And don,t listen to others, you can judge yourself by taking a look at previous years exams. You will see how much difficult both the exams are.
29th July 2010, 02:52 AM
agentroy
Senior Member+

hi
both the exam are very different from one other and so it is not possible for any one to make a comparison between the two exam
29th July 2010, 09:42 AM
NISAMTI

the main thing is you must to get seat in good college..comparatively,you can effort to get seat in GATE.though,it is an open compeition all over india..you can compete to some extent.if you good knowledge at maths and english..if you have work ecperience..you can also give CAT exam..good luck
29th July 2010, 05:55 PM
mini rani
Senior Member++

Hi!

We all know that CAT exam is for managemnt field GATE is for engineering field. Both the fields are widely different, it would be unfair to compare both the exams. Both the exams are toughest in their own field.

It is true that for getting admission into IIM's you have to score a really high percentile near to 100 in CAT but it will be wrong to say that IIM's select only those candidates having degree from top institutes of India.
29th July 2010, 10:09 PM
NISAMTI

gate and cat are totally different in their formulations..i think..in CAT,there will be stress interview and they need job experience..the present day's ceos are the students of those b-schools..it is very difficult to get the adminission through CAT..better try GATE...sincerely,i think,there is no clarity in query..good luck
30th July 2010, 12:53 AM
Gop
Senior Member+

Arrow Re: CAT or GATE which exam is tougher to crack?

Hi Guys, That's really an awkward question to ask. I dont know why such doubts appear. Both exams has different perspective and different goal. Both of these exams are considered prestigious and competing in their fields and perspective.

There is no such thing that tough or easy. The exact word is high competition and both the Exams has it.

So do have your choice and go with it.
Good Luck.
30th July 2010, 11:43 PM
NISAMTI

yes friend,at any stage,if you want be in at a high level,you need to do effort very well.there are no logics,calculations in entrance test.do not waste your valuable time in these asking these kind of doubts..we are not in the newton generation.good luck
31st July 2010, 08:16 PM
ansh_ansh
Senior Member++++

dear friend,
both the exam are tough but you can crack it as nothing is impossible
you can take coaching classes for GATE or CAT.
for CAT you can join Time or IMS these two are best
and for GATE you can join GATE forum
31st August 2010, 04:22 PM
rajesh gupta 1

Dear friend;

Obviously CAT is tough to crack than GATE.

Because in GATE only engineering or science

graduate may apply. But in CAT all the

graduate may apply.
4th September 2010, 10:34 PM
Unregistered

is there NCC RESERVATION IN CAT AND GATE
5th September 2010, 11:11 AM
tina toms

CAT and GATE xams are both different. CAT needs practise and for GATE we have to study our portions.dont try to decide wich exam is better.make a dacision for which degree you have to go for..
5th September 2010, 11:25 AM
poplu13
Senior Member+

I guess CAT is much tougher to crack....but if you do not study for GATE both will be equally difficult...So it depends upon the way you practice and the way you are dedicated...

Good luck !!!
5th September 2010, 12:28 PM
NITIN2
Senior Member+

Dear friend

you have no right idea about this. There is no such type of rule that if secure good marks

in CAT but you have not passed your graduation from a high profile colleges then you

will not get chance in IIMs.If you secure good marks in CAT definitely you will get admission in IIMs.

Also if you do better in gate exam ,then you will get good colleges like iits.

Best of luck
5th September 2010, 06:47 PM
meeria

Dear friend

both have equal importance.I feel the most competitive exam is cat...........because in this exams you have to need lots of practice and confidence.......mind it without preperation both the exams are tough..........

you see cat and gate are different in their field...
so the syllabus is totaly different....
the GATE syllabus is mostly based on technical courses..
and cat for all who want to get into MBA colleges(management field)

so if you feel interest in the management then go for it without thing about the tough or easy.

Or if you are interested in the technical field then go for the GATE exam,

if you want go technical field then some IIT colleges are
IIT Guwahati http://www.iitg.ernet.in
IIT Kanpur http://www.iitk.ac.in
IIT Kharagpur http://www.iitkgp.ac.in/
IIT Madras http://www.iitm.ac.in
IIT Delhi http://www.iitd.ernet.in/
IIT Roorkee

if go to management field then colleges are

Indian Institute of Management (Ahmedabad)
Address : Vastrapur, Ahmedabad - 380 015, INDIA
Contact No : 91 79 2630 8357, [email protected]

Indian Institute of Management (LUCKNOW)
Address : Prabandh Nagar, Off Sitapur Road,Lucknow,Uttar Pradesh,India,PIN : 226013
Contact No : 00(91)(522)2761397, 00(91)(522)2761437,

Indian Institute of Management (Kolkata)
Address : Diamond Harbour Road Joka, Kolkata (Calcutta) - 700104, West Bengal, INDIA
Contact No : +91-33-2282-4598, +91-33-2467-9178

Indian Institute of Management (Kozhikode)
Address : IIMK Campus P. O., Kozhikode 673 570, Kerala, India
Contact No : +91-495-2803001

Indian Institute of Management (Indore)
Address : Prabandh ShikharRau-Pithampur Road,Indore 453 331,Madhya Pradesh, NDIA
Contact No : + 91-731-4228400

Indian Institute of Management (Bangalore)
Address : Bannerghatta Road, Bangalore, IndiaPin Code : 560 076
Contact No : 91-80-26582450

Faculty of Management Studies, Delhi University (FMS)(New Delhi)
Address : Faculty of Management StudiesUniversity of DelhiDelhi - 110007
Contact No : +91 11 2766 6382 / 6387 / 6388

Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies (Mumbai)
Address : Backbay Reclamation, Mumbai, India. Pin - 400020
Contact No : +91 - 022 - 22024133 / 22024118 / 22025153

Xavier Labour Research Institute (XLRI) (Jamshedpur)
Address : XLRI Circuit House Area (East)Jamshedpur 831 001JharkhandIndia
Contact No : +91 - 657 - 398 3333

SP Jain Institute of Management & Research (Mumbai)
Address : Munshi Nagar, Dadabhai Road, Andheri West,Mumbai - 400 058, India.
Contact No : +91-22-2623 7454 / 0396 / 2401

Institute of Management Technology (Ghaziabad)
Address : Raj Nagar, Ghaziabad 201 001, India
Contact No : +91 0120 3002200

Xavier Institute of Management (Bhubaneshwar)
Address : Bhubaneswar - 751 013, India
Contact No : 91.674 3012345

International Management Institute (New Delhi)
Address : B-10, Qutab Institutional Area, Tara Crescent, New Delhi - 110016
Contact No : 2696-1437/3519/6143, 2686-3701, 2652-8276/9237/9338/9239

Management Development Institute (Gurgaon)
Address : Mehrauli RoadSukhrali, Gurgaon - 122001INDIA
Contact No : + 91 124 2349831-36, 4013050-59

FORE School of Management (New Delhi)
Address : B-18, Qutab Institutional Area, New Delhi, India
Contact No : 91-11-41242424-33

National Institute of Industrial Engineering (Mumbai)
Address : NITIE Campus,Near Vihar Lake,Mumbai 400087, Maharashtra, India
Contact No : 022 28575590

Balaji Institute of Modern Management (BIMM)

Address: S. No. 55/2-7, Tathawade, Opp. Wakad Police Station,
Off Mumbai-Bangalore bypass, Pune - 411 033
Maharashtra, India
Contact No : +91-20-6674 1249, 6674 1250
Fax No : +91-20-6674 1242

18- Indian School of Business (ISB)Address: Gachibowli
Hyderabad-500 032
India
Contact No: +91 40 2300 7000

have a good day
8th September 2010, 10:29 PM
bapuram

dear friend,

I think CAT is much tougher to crack.but if you do not study for GATE both will be equally difficult.So it depends upon the way you practice and the way you are dedicated.

good luck
9th September 2010, 12:02 PM
JAMESS
Senior Member+++++

cracking an exam depends on in which you are strong. CAT and GATE are totally two different examination. in CAT there is genaral aptitude, english and subject paper. but in GATE there is mainly the subjecy although from the previous year some general aptitude portion is included in the syllabus. if you are strong in your subject then go for GATE but if you are strong in aptitude and english then go for CAT. after cracking the examination the study is totally different. be fully informed about the course. after that decide which one is suitable for you. best wishes from me.
16th November 2010, 03:21 PM
Unregistered

it depends on ur interest
13th December 2010, 09:44 PM
jits
Senior Member++++

According to me GATE is easier compared to CAT since GATE comprises more of subject part like its syllabus is mostly related with subjects according to the branch your related with in your B.tech course.It even comprises of Maths as the common part for all the Branches from Engineering.

CAT basically consists of aptitude,general ability and mostly of the English.Time plays a major role in both of the exams.So,if your strong in Aptitude then you can crack the CAT.But its still tough to get in IIM's since IITians and NITians always lay a step ahead of the others.

all the best
17th February 2011, 12:31 AM
pops07
Senior Member+++++

It is already known ( as we read in newspaper and other sources) that CAT is the toughest competitive exam in India....
It is very hard to crack.
and even after cracking candidates does not get admission to the best colleges.
but that does not happen in case of GATE.
24th March 2011, 05:44 PM
shahul1423

Both the exams are of different kinds the cat exam questions are related to the analytical and logical ability based but the gate exam is technical based . so you don't confuse with them.
16th July 2011, 12:54 AM
yashwar sharma S.G.
Senior Member++

hi,

CAT is still the most toughest exam after civil services in India. so CAT is tougher than GATE.

On the other hand GATE is somewhat easy to score.

THank you...
31st July 2011, 10:38 AM
brijeshgzp123

Dear friends,
CAT & GATE both exams are for different sectors, so none can compare between these two.
which exam is tougher & which is easy its fully depend on your interest.
If you feel very comfortable in your technical paper then you can easily crack GATE otherwise you can crack CAT.
its only depend upon you.
31st July 2011, 06:45 PM
aroy8091

dear friend ,

Among the both of the exam CAT is the most competitive exam in India .

but without preparation both the exam are tougher .

best of luck.........
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?