14th June 2013, 12:48 PM
Unregistered

Details about CAT entrance exam? I am a final year engineering student

sir i am first year engineering student. please,give me detail about cat exam.how could i crack this exam? what is the necessary percentile so that i could get admission on iim?

2nd July 2013, 06:28 PM
aditya436
Senior Member++++

Arrow Re: Details about CAT entrance exam? I am a final year engineering student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
sir i am first year engineering student. please,give me detail about cat exam.how could i crack this exam? what is the necessary percentile so that i could get admission on iim?
CAT : Common Admission Test, conducted by any of the IIMs on rotational basis, every year. Notification for it will be released in Aug/september. Test will be conducted for 10-15 days. That is called testing window, it is online test. That testing window will be in Oct/November.

You need to enroll for it first and select a slot based upon your convineince. It has examination centers in all important city's. By chance, if there is no center in your city/town, you need to write it in the nearest center possible of your choice.

Examination fee will be around 1000 for general and there will some discounted prices for reserved categories like SC/ST.

CAT score is valid for only one year. There are more than 250 b-schools in which you could get admission based on your CAT score. Out of them top 10 colleges are IIMs, MDI gurgaon and FMS, Delhi.

This is the brief description about CAT and other essentials which one should know before. As you are just a first year graduation student, you have ample time to plan things up. Meanwhile concentrate upon maths and english grammar. It will be helpful when you actually start preparation. As per me you should your preparation from 3rd year rigorously.

And final note, nothing is impossible, if others can do why can't you?

Regards
Aditya
9th July 2013, 11:38 PM
nitz90
Senior Member+++++

Smile Re: Details about CAT entrance exam? I am a final year engineering student

Quote:

Details Regarding CAT Exam

In order to appear for the Common Admission Test(CAT)..you must satisfy the following minimum requirements :

> You should have at least completed your graduation without any backlogs or must be a final year graduation student in any discipline..

> Your college from where you have pursued your graduation must be a recognized college..

There is no age limit or any restriction on the number of attempts for appearing in the CAT Exam..

Since 2008..it has become a purely online exam having only 2 sections :-

Section -1 consisting of 30 questions to be done in 70 minutes based on Data Interpretation and Numerical Ability (also known as Quantitative Aptitude)

Section -2 contains Logical Reasoning and Verbal Ability which also consists of 30 questions to be done in 70 minutes..

Remember..once your time is up for Section-1..you cannot go back to any question of Section-1..you are bound to attempt questions of only Section-2 till your time is up..

The CAT is generally held in a window of October and November..

CAT is held for admissions to the premier B Schools of India like IIMs, FMS, MDI, IMT, IMI and a few others..

You just have to keep reading the newspaper editorials to improve your grammar and vocabulary

For maths you can try to solve questions from your Class-6 to Class-11 textbooks..

For more detailed information on CAT you can http://catiim.in

For study material and preparation online you can Click Here

all the best..

With Warm Regards
Nitz
10th July 2013, 11:44 AM
harishbanu

Default Re: Details about CAT entrance exam? I am a final year engineering student

Hai, you want CAT entrance exam details. Here are the details:-
1.candidate should have bachelor degree with minimum 50% percentage or if SC/ST/DA/PWD then percentage is 45%.
2.Reservations for the exam are:-15% for SC,7.50% for ST,27% for OBC(Creamy-layer), 3.00% for Differently Abled (DA).
Exam have two sections.
1.Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation, 2.Verbal Ability & Logical Reasoning. Each section have 30 questions and time duration is 1:10 mins. We have to write both of them continuously.
10th July 2013, 09:03 PM
sandeepsaini.saini522
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Details about CAT entrance exam? I am a final year engineering student

hi,

CAT is common Admission Test.It is conducted by Indian Institute of Management once in a year.

Educational Qualifications:

If you want to apply CAT,You should have a minimum qualification is Graduation from recognized university with minimum 50% of marks can eligible to apply CAT Exam.

For SC/ST candidates should obtained minimum 45% of marks in Bachelor's Degree can eligible to apply for CAT Exam

Final years Students of Graduation courses also can eligible to apply for CAT Exam.

Selection Procedure:

Written Test
Interview/Group Discussion

Exam Pattern:

This Exam consist two Sections those are as follows
Quantitative Ability and Data Interpretation(30 Questions-70 Minutes)
Logical Reasoning and Verbal Ability(30 Questions-70 Minutes)
This Exam conducts in the month of October or November Month.

Good luck.....................
11th July 2013, 10:03 AM
dhirajen18
Senior Member+++++

CAT - stands for Common Admission Test conducted by Indian Institute of Management(IIM) for admission to 2 years post Graduate MBA(Master of Business Administration) course in IIMs.

The eligible candidate must be an Indian National having completed Graduation Degree in any stream of education from a recognised University with 50% marks(45% marks for SC/ST candidate), can apply for CAT.

There is no upper age limit for application to CAT and also there is no restriction to number of attempts to CAT.

As you are pursing Engineering Degree and in the final year, you are eligible to apply for CAT.

CAT can be applied through on line and is a computer based exam comprising of all objective type questions basing on:-

-Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation
-Verbal Ability & Logical Reasoning

For more information you may log on to http://www.catiim.in
11th July 2013, 06:03 PM
nim@1990

Dear student,

The Common Admission Test (CAT) is an all-India test conducted by the Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs) as an entrance exam for admission to the Post-graduate and Fellow Programs in management courses of several management institutes all over India including the IIMs.

The CAT score is used separately by each institute along with other parameters i.e. academic performance, work experience, group discussion, written assessment and interview performance etc. to select candidates. The weightage assigned to CAT score may differ for each institute. Candidates are advised to read the weightage, process and breakup for each institute on its respective website.

Eligibility
The candidate must be a graduate with 50% marks or equivalent CGPA (45% in case of SC/ST/DA/PWD) or possess an equivalent qualification recognized by the ministry of HRD, Government of India.

Candidates appearing for the final year of bachelor’s degree / equivalent qualification examination and those who have completed degree requirements and are awaiting results can also apply. (Candidate if selected needs to submit a certificate latest by 30th June 2013 from the Principal/Registrar of College/Institute stating that the candidate has completed all the requirements for obtaining the bachelor’s degree/equivalent qualification on the date of the issue of the certificate.)

Reservation:
15.00% Scheduled Caste (SC)
7.50% Scheduled Tribe (ST)
27.00% Other Backward Classes (OBC) candidates belonging to the “non-creamy” layer
3.00% Differently Abled (DA)

For more details on the eligibility criteria and reservations, visit
www.catiim.in/cat_eligibility.html

Test Duration & Pattern (CAT 2012)
Section No. of Questions Duration
How to take the Test - Tutorial -- 15 mins
1. Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation
30 1 hr. 10 mins (70 mins)
2. Verbal Ability & Logical Reasoning
30 1 hr. 10 mins (70 mins)
Total 60 2 hrs. 35 mins

Note:
• The candidate cannot choose a section to attempt first. The Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation section is presented first, followed by Verbal Ability & Logical Reasoning.
• Each section is timed separately. Once a section ends, candidate can no longer go back to it.
• On-screen timer is made available for both the sections each counting down 1 hour and 10 minutes (i.e. 70 minutes). When the time is up, the first section ends and the candidate can no longer go back to it. The second section then begins with the on-screen timer counting down from 1 hour 10 minutes again. Once the second section ends, the test will end.
• The candidate cannot end the first section before 70 minutes are up. However, he/she can end the second section before 70 minutes are up.
For more details on the CAT test duration and pattern, click here.

Exam FormatCAT is a computer based test, conducted in multiple cities during a window of 3-4 weeks. A candidate can select his / her test date and slot as per choice and availability.

Top Colleges Under CATApart from the 13 IIMs, other prominent B- Schools that accept CAT scores are:
S.P. Jain Institute of Management Research IMT Ghaziabad
NITIE K. J. Somaiya Institute Of Management Studies And Research
Faculty of Management Studies MICA Ahmedabad
MDI Gurgaon DoMS (NIT Trichy)
SJMSOM (IIT-Bombay) Department of Management Studies (IISC – Bangalore)
DMS (IIT-Delhi) TAPMI
IMI Delhi XIM-B
11th July 2013, 07:18 PM
nellipudi.santhoshkumar
Senior Member++++

HAI,

CAT stands for Common Admission Test

Eligibility Criteria:

Candidates must be Graduates or equivalent from any recognized University.

Candidates must be secure with minimum of 50% of marks in graduation.

5% relaxation for SC/ST/PWD/DA Candidates.

Final year appearing candidates also eligible for this exam.

CAT exam will have two sections

Section I. Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation

Section II.Verbal Ability & Logical Interpretation

Books for CAT exam:

1.CAT Common Admission Test: Mastering the Verbal Ability by Ajay Singh

2.Verbal Ability Guide For CAT and Other MBA Entrance exams by Disha Experts

3.Analytical & Logical Reasoning for CAT By B.S. Sijwali

4.Quantitative Aptitude for CAT & other Entrance Exams By Avinash Agarwal, shipra Agarwal

5.Mastering CAT Common Admission Test(M.B.A Entrance exam) by R P Datason,B L Sadana, S L Gulati

Selection Process:

Written test
Group Discussion/Interview.

List of CAT Colleges:

1.Fore School of Management,Ahmedabad

2.S.P Jain Institute of Management & Research,Mumbai

3.Mundra Institute of Communication , Ahmedabad

4.National Insurance Academy School of Management , Pune

5.Management Development Institute , Gurgaon

11th July 2013, 08:25 PM
vikash kumar prajapati
Senior Member+++

Quote:
Common Admission Test(CAT) Exam Pattern details
  1. This exam will have two sections from which questions are asked.
  2. Each section will include 30 questions.
  3. Each sections will be of 70 minutes.
Important Notes :
  • This exam will be of Computer Based that is Online.
  • Each section questions should be completed within 70 minutes.
  • If you fail to answer any questions of particular section then you will not able to answer for the next time.
  • You cannot jump to another section before 70 minutes.
Common Admission Test(CAT) Exam Syllabus

SECTION I
  • Data Interpretation .
  • Quantitative Ability.

SECTION II
  • Logical Reasoning.
  • Verbal Ability.

Eligibility requirements

Educational Qualification :
  • You should have a pass out bachelor degree in any discipline from recognized university.
  • If you are in Final year/Semester then you can apply for this entrance test.
Marks required :
  • If you belong from the General/OBC category then minimum marks in Bachelor degree course should be 50%.
  • If you belong from the SC/ST category then minimum marks in Bachelor degree course should be 45%.

12th July 2013, 11:31 PM
ajayrocks007
Senior Member+++++

Final year candidates are also eligible for CAT but they have to give undertaking duly signed by the Principal that you have got at least 50% marks in the Graduation.

Graduation in any discipline with 50% marks is the minimum qualification required for CAT.

For reserved categories there is relaxation of 5% marks.

So get yourself prepared for the examination because the competition in CAT is very tough and only the highest percentiles get admission into IIMs.

CAT Pattern:

CAT is conducted in online mode and you have to give test on a computer.

Hence you must practice mock tests on computer to get used to it.

Questions will be objective type in nature and there will be negative marking.

Following sections will be there in the exam:

-Data Interpretation

-Quantitative Ability

-Logical Reasoning

-Verbal Ability

Separate timings will be allotted to different sections and you have to attempt the questions in the given time.

For more information visit http://www.catiim.in
13th July 2013, 01:06 PM
SK@S
Senior Member+++++

Eligibilty to apply for the CAT exams is:
Graduation pass in any stream with minimum 50% marks for General and OBC candidates and minimum 45% marks for the SC/ST candidates.
Final year Graduation students can also apply

To get calls from IIM, you have to get atleast 98 percentile marks in the CAT written tests
After this you would be called by IIM for the next rounds that is Group Discussion and Personal Interview.

In CAT exams questions are asked from below sections:
Verbal Ability
Logical Reasoning
Quantitative Ability
Data Interpretation

CAT 2013 Dates

Sale of vouchers: 29th July 2013 to 24th September 2013
Registrations: 29th July 2013 to 26th September 2013
Exam dates: 16th October 2013 to 11th November 2013
13th July 2013, 06:49 PM
Ravi dikshith

Common Admission Test is the entrance test conducted by the Indian Institute of Management for the recruitment of candidates to the post graduation programmes in IIM's and top Business schools.The eligibility details of the exam are:
  • The candidate must hold a bachelor's degree, with at least 50% of marks or equivalent CGPA. 45% is considerable in thecase of the candidates belonging to Scheduled Caste/Scheduled Tribe or persons with disability, of any of the universities incorporated by an act of the central or state legislature in India or other educational institutions established by an act of Parliament or declared to be deemed as a university under section 3 of UGC act, 1956.
  • There are no age limits of the exam.
Coming to the exam pattern, the duration of the test is 2 hours and 15 minutes. The test consists of questions that evaluate a candidate's quantitative, verbal and logical % Data interpretive abilities.There are total of three sections.

So these are the details of the Common Admission Test.
2nd August 2013, 07:23 PM
BISWARUPYOGI
Senior Member+++++

Quote:

CAT stands for Common Admission Test. This exam is popular exam all over the world. This exam is being conducted by IIMs (Indian Institute of Management) in order to give admission for MBA course in top B-Schools and IIMs.

The minimum educational qualification required for CAT exam is graduation degree but your graduation marks must be above 50% .Marks relaxation is provide for SC/ST candidate.There is no age criteria.There is no limitation for CAT exams attempts so you can try it maximum times.

List of the topics are coming in CAT Exam are given below so you should prepare well on these topics -

The exam timing for CAT is 155 minutes. There will also be a penalty for wrong answer so at least try to answer those questions which you know. There are 60 questions in the test.

Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation
Verbal Ability & Logical Reasoning

For CAT Exam preparation , I have listed some valuable books name which are help for you for CAT exam.

How to Prepare for Logical Reasoning for the CAT Common Admission Test
by Arun Sharma
Publisher: Tata McGraw-Hill

How to Prepare for Data Interpretation for the CAT Common Admission Test
by Arun Sharma

How to Prepare for Quantitative Aptitude for the CAT Common Admission Test
by Arun Sharma

Selection Process for CAT exam are Written exam , Group Discussion , personal Interview.

List of the TOP CAT Coaching Centers in India:-

1. T.I.M.E. Triumphant Institute of Management Education Pvt Ltd in Patna
1st Floor, House of M.M.Bihari,
Opposite Santosa Apartment, Bandar Bagicha,
Frazer Road, Patna - 800001
Tel: 0612-2223892

2. IMS Learning Resources Pvt Ltd in Patna
201, Hem Plaza, Opp. Jagat Trade Centre,
Fraser Road,
Patna - 800001
Tel: 0612-3206794/ 244428

3. Career Launcher (CL)
404, SAMRIDDHI COMPLEX ,
S.P. VERMA ROAD
Patna - 800001, Bihar
Tel: +91-612-220266

4. Orawaves Infotech Private Limited.
Ameerpet,Hyderabad-500016.

5.Career Forum
121/124, 7th B Main Road,
Opp. Union Bank of India,
4th Block, Jayanagar
Bangalore 560011
Ph:- 02112-645777 / 9960005446

6. Prime Tutor
2271, Hudson lines,
Kings way Camp,
Behind Khalsa College
New Delhi - 110009.
Ph No. : 55805922, 55805933.

CAT Entrance Exam 2013 Important date :-

1. Starting date of Online Application Form: – 29 July 2013
2. Closing date of Online Application Form: – 26 September 2013
3. Start CAT Voucher 2013: - 17 August 2013
4. CAT Entrance Exam 2013 Date of Exam: – 22 October 2013, 28 November 2013.

For more information about CAT exam , you may log on to http://www.catiim.in
3rd August 2013, 01:38 PM
Shaenma
Senior Member+++++

Quote:
CAT Exam Details:-

CAT is like the gateway to the IIM's. It is by far the most popular and most toughest MBA Exam to crack. But that obviously does not stops MBA aspirants from trying their luck. The full form of CAT is Common Admission Test and this exam is conducted by the Indian Institute of Management.

This exam is conducted online and generally the exam takes place in the month of October-November and a 3-4 weeks window is used to conduct this exam. The CAT score is only accepted by other such autonomous institutes and not by any universities.

Graduates from any discipline are eligible to give the exam. The stream you choose at graduation level has little to do with this exam since students from any background can pursue MBA.

But for CAT what is considered is the marks that you have secured at grad level. General category candidates needs to get at least 50% of marks at graduation level and for other categories the percentage to acquire at grad level is 45% of marks.

There are basically two sections in the written exam which needs to be looked at:-
  • Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation- 70 mins- 30 Questions
  • Verbal Ability & Logical Reasoning - 70 mins- 30 Questions
Top CAT coaching institutes in India:-
  • Career Launcher
  • IMS Learning Centre
  • Triumphant Institute of Management Education Pvt. Ltd.
  • PT Education
  • Career Forum
  • TestFunda.com
  • TCYonline.com
The Cut-Off Marks Of IIM's:-
  • Indian Institute of Management - IIM A - Ahmedabad- 99 %ile
  • Indian Institute of Management - Bangalore- 90 %ile
  • Indian Institute of Management - IIM-C- Calcutta- 95+ %ile
  • Indian Institute of Management (IIM-I) - Indore- 90 %ile
  • Indian Institute of Management (IIMK) Kozhikode - Kerala- 75 %ile
  • Indian Institute of Management - IIM-S - Shillong- 90 %ile
  • Indian Institute of Management - IIM- Ranchi- 90 %ile
  • Indian Institute of Management - IIM- Rohtak- 85 %ile
  • Indian Institute of Management - IIM- Raipur- 80 %ile
  • Indian Institute of Management - IIM- Trichy- 80 %ile
Hope this helps :-> :->
15th August 2013, 11:49 PM
aryan5107241
Senior Member+++++

Dear Friend,

The Acronym "CAT" stands for Common Admission Test. This Test is considered as the toughest examination conducted every year in our nation.

The Common Admission Test is conducted for the admission of candidates in MBA Course in the Top Business Schools like the Indian Institutes of Management.

As you are a final year engineering student , you are eligible for the CAT Exam if you do not have any active pending backlogs.

The Eligibility Criteria Required for the Common Admission Test are :

* The candidate must have completed graduation in any stream from any recognized college/university.

* The candidate must have secured a minimum of 50% marks in graduation.

* A Relaxation of 5% marks is given to SC/ST candidates.

* No Relaxation in marks is given to OBC Candidates.

* Candidates in the final year of graduation can also apply.

* There is no age limit for the exam.

* There is no any fixed number of attempts for this exam.

* Both Male and Female candidates are considered eligible to apply.

* The candidate must be an Indian Citizen.

The Important Dates Regarding CAT 2013 :

# Online Application Tenure : 29/07/2013 - 26/09/2013

# CAT Voucher Availability : 17/08/2013

# CAT Exam : 22/10/2013 - 28/11/2013

This is the information i have to the best of my knowledge regarding your query. Hope the information will help you to the extent you want.
25th August 2013, 10:39 PM
maruthidevi

CAT is common Admission Test.It is conducted by Indian Institute of Management once in a year.

Educational Qualifications:

If you want to apply CAT,You should have a minimum qualification is Graduation from recognized university with minimum 50% of marks can eligible to apply CAT Exam.

For SC/ST candidates should obtained minimum 45% of marks in Bachelor's Degree can eligible to apply for CAT Exam

Final years Students of Graduation courses also can eligible to apply for CAT Exam.

Selection Procedure:

Written Test
Interview/Group Discussion

Exam Pattern:

This Exam consist two Sections those are as follows
Quantitative Ability and Data Interpretation(30 Questions-70 Minutes)
Logical Reasoning and Verbal Ability(30 Questions-70 Minutes)
This Exam conducts in the month of October or November Month.

Good luck.....................
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?