25th June 2010, 02:10 PM
Unregistered

Educational qualifications to become marine officer in merchant navy?

i want to be a marine officer in merchant navy can you please tell me that what are the educational qualifications required and what are the salary of marine officers

25th June 2010, 09:21 PM
sparkle
Senior Member+++

Default Re: Educational qualifications to become marine officer in merchant navy?

Dear friend,

One can pursue one of these courses to be a marine officer:

1. 3 year degree course in Nautical Science for (10+2) students.
2. 4 year degree course in Marine Engineering for (10+2) students.
3. 2 year course for Diploma Holders.
4. 1 year course for Graduate Mechanical Engineers.
5. 3 month course for Deck Cadets for (10+2) students.

Also a candidate can join as utility hand or Petty Officers (Fitters) after completing 4 Basic Courses, i.e. FPFF, EFA, PSSR and PST.

There are four Government Training Institutes providing Pre-Sea and Post-Sea training of international standard :

1.Training Ship Chanakya, Navi Mumbai.

2.Marine Engineering & Research Institute (MERI), Kolkata.

3.Marine Engineering & Research Institute (MERI), Mumbai.

4.Lal Bahadur Shastri College of advanced Maritime Studies and Research, Mumbai.

All of these institutes admit students through IIT/JEE entrance exam.

All the best!
26th June 2010, 12:56 AM
vidh
Senior Member+

Default Re: Educational qualifications to become marine officer in merchant navy?

you may apply to nautical eng or marine engineering, best is from IIT and AIEEE.
26th June 2010, 01:06 AM
vidh
Senior Member+

dear u may do nautical or marine eng through aieee or IIT marine officers really get good package of salaries upto 50000 to 1 lakhs per month
26th June 2010, 02:21 AM
SANDEEP891985
Senior Member+++++

Hello friend,

To be a marine officer, first of all, you will need to join merchant navy at entry level in any of the following department.
1.Navigational department
2.Marine engineering
The educational qualification to join merchant navy is a bachelors degree in nautical science (duration- 3 years) or marine engineering(duration- 4 years).
The eligibility to pursue these courses is 10+2 with physics, chemistry and maths.
Here is the list of some major institutes which offers courses for Merchant navy for the candidates who has qualified the entrance exam such as IIT JEE, AIEEE and others.

The Training Ship Chanakya (T S Chanakya), Karaus, Navi Mumbai.

Marine Engineering Research Institute, P-19, Taratolla Rd, Kolkata-700088

Marine Engineering & Research Institute, Hay Bunder Road, Mumbai - 400 033

Directorate General of Shipping, Jahaj Bhavan, Ballard Estate, Walchand Hirachand Marg, Mumbai 400001

As soon as you successfully complete your bachelors degree in nautical science, you may join merchant navy as deck cadet and as a junior engineer after marine engineering programme.

After few years of experience, you will need to write examinations conducted by the Directorate General of Shipping (DGS) to qualify for the officer rank.
26th June 2010, 08:03 AM
murali009

hiiiiiii

Eligibility : Pass in the 10 +2/ equivalent examination with Physics, Chemistry and Maths. Upper age limit for the programmes is 20 years (25 years for SC / ST). The candidate also has to fulfill certain medical norms. Selection is based on performance in the IIT- JEE. The admission to the programmes commence during October - January every year.

for more details.......
http://www.scholarshipsinindia.com/merchant_navy_courses_in_india.html
list of colleges......in mumbai.....
http://www.indicareer.com/city-59-colleges-in-Mumbai.html
12th July 2010, 04:51 PM
Unregistered

I'm a commerce graduate but would like to work as deck officer. so how can I pursue my carreer?
19th July 2010, 11:41 PM
Unregistered

i am 12th pass student in scince facalty, i want do this corse but how much fees
20th July 2010, 05:22 PM
vike
Senior Member+++++

Dear friend
The B.Tech course in Marine Engineering is very much costly in most of the colleges even in governmental one. That varies between 1-2 lacs per annum, only tuition fees.
There are only two government institution that offers the course but very less fees.
These are:
IIT KGP
IIT MADRAS
Cochin University.
For the first two you will have to qualify IIT-JEE with appropriate rank.
For COCHIN UNIV you will have to appear in CUSAT entrance examination.
Thank You.
3rd August 2010, 01:09 PM
Unregistered

I am 12th passed student and i have got 44.50 percent in.I have to join as a deck cadet officer.So what should i do.
23rd September 2010, 04:33 PM
Unregistered

'm doing B.E in EIE , could i join marine engg. after completing the BE ? pleas tel
16th October 2010, 01:55 PM
Unregistered

l am Radhakanta Rout also i pass 12th in science(PCM) with 50% agreegate subjects ,i want to join merchant navy as officers rank minimum salary starts from 1lakhs how can i take a job in merchant navy
21st October 2010, 12:50 AM
faiyaz
Senior Member++++

What is the Qualification required for Merchant Navy

For getting into Deck or Navigating department one has to start there career from post of "Deck Cadet" after that one will moves toward Third Officer which ultimately leads to Captain/Master in long time of 8-10 years work experiance.

Qualification Required:
One has to persue 3 years B.sc (Nautical science) alongwith 12 months of onship training. Or these days this B.sc degre gets split into parts by maximum institutes such that- 1 year Diploma in Nautical science, 1 1/2 years Onboard ship training and 6 months pre-sea training.

Eligibility: 12th (PCM) with at least 60% aggregate. However, few Institutes also accept students with 55% aggregate. For Ex- Trident college of marine technology, West Bengal.

While few private institutes also except candidate with 50% aggregate, because they have tied up with other university (EX- IGNOU) for providing degree. But student must be cautious of any fraud.

Age Limit: 20 years for those who has +2, while its 22-23 years for B.sc Dgree holder.

One can also enter in Deck Cadet, just by having 12 months pre-sea training but prospects are not so promissing. So better to enter after graduation.

For Getting into Engine Department, one has to start career from the post of "Fifth or Junior Engineer" which ultimately lead to Chief Engineer.

Qualification Required: A degree in Marine or Mechanical or electrical Engineering from a recognised Institute. MArine engineering holder will get in directly while Mechanical and Elecrical has to undergone 10 months Pre-Sea Training in MArine engineering, which is either offered by recruiting company or candidate has to born itself.

Eligibility: Nothing different from what is required to be an Engineer.

Age Limit: 25 years

For Rating Department

For Deck Rating:
Any bachelor degree(as it is prefered) with 1 year or 6 months pre-sea training.

Age Limit: 21 and 23 years.

Engine Rating: Diploma in Mechanical Engineering alongwith 12 or 6 months pre-sea training.

Age Limit: 21 years.

Catering Rating: Any background will do. However, background in hotel management with experience in the hospitality business will be a great help.
In this field you need to upgrade your skills every nine months or so, through proficiency development or skill development courses in the maritime academies and pass examinations conducted by the Directorate General of Shipping (DGS). This will be your key to new contracts.

Age Limit: 25 years for MBA holders.

Regards
~Faiyaz~
21st October 2010, 10:34 AM
JAMESS
Senior Member+++++

to become a merchant officer you must hold a graduate degree with the subject associated with navy.

you may do b.tech in marine engineering to join in merchant navy. also you have to take some training from any institution before joining.

you may go for B.Sc in Nautical science and after that take one year training from a marine institution. then you will be eligible to join as a merchant officer in merchant navy.

all the best.
21st October 2010, 02:20 PM
Rudraprasad
Senior Member++

Smile Re: Educational qualifications to become marine officer in merchant navy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i am 12th pass student in scince facalty, i want do this corse but how much fees
dear friend,

If you have scored 55% nin PCM then you can join.fees near about 5 lakh for course fee.

good luck.
21st October 2010, 03:21 PM
solution
Senior Member++++

hello dear

you can join in merchant navy after doing engineering.

you can get chance in merchant navy in two ways

1.through UES. which exam you can appear in the final year of your btech.

2.through UPSC exam. this exam you can appear after your graduation course.

all the best.........
21st October 2010, 07:04 PM
Rohit Vashisht
Senior Member+

Cool Re: Educational qualifications to become marine officer in merchant navy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SANDEEP891985 View Post
Hello friend,

To be a marine officer, first of all, you will need to join merchant navy at entry level in any of the following department.
1.Navigational department
2.Marine engineering
The educational qualification to join merchant navy is a bachelors degree in nautical science (duration- 3 years) or marine engineering(duration- 4 years).
The eligibility to pursue these courses is 10+2 with physics, chemistry and maths.
Here is the list of some major institutes which offers courses for Merchant navy for the candidates who has qualified the entrance exam such as IIT JEE, AIEEE and others.

The Training Ship Chanakya (T S Chanakya), Karaus, Navi Mumbai.

Marine Engineering Research Institute, P-19, Taratolla Rd, Kolkata-700088

Marine Engineering & Research Institute, Hay Bunder Road, Mumbai - 400 033

Directorate General of Shipping, Jahaj Bhavan, Ballard Estate, Walchand Hirachand Marg, Mumbai 400001

As soon as you successfully complete your bachelors degree in nautical science, you may join merchant navy as deck cadet and as a junior engineer after marine engineering programme.

After few years of experience, you will need to write examinations conducted by the Directorate General of Shipping (DGS) to qualify for the officer rank.
Hi sandeep, i would like to inform you that Directorate Genral Shipping ( DGS) is not an Institution, its a government authority which governs the shipping rules and regulations. D G Shipping persinaly doesn,t provide any course
21st October 2010, 07:14 PM
Rohit Vashisht
Senior Member+

Lightbulb Re: Educational qualifications to become marine officer in merchant navy?

First of all i would like to tell you that its not Marine Officer its Marine Engineer which works in Engine Department. Deck officer works on the Deck side( on board)

To be a part of Engine Departmant/ marine engineer you have to appear in entrance exams like IIT, AIEEE, Up- Tech. ect. After qualifying these exams you can apply for Marine Engineering courses provide by various private and Govt. institutions. These admissions are given on the basis of merit.
Good Luck
9th November 2010, 04:58 PM
Unregistered

what is the salary
14th November 2010, 11:41 AM
Unregistered

I have passed HSC (60.56%)in commerce stream i want to join merchant navy can u give me suggestion which institutes is based on dis course and wat is ur elegibility to join dis course
19th November 2010, 09:34 PM
Unregistered

i want to be marrine eng. in merchant navy.wht are the qualifications for the marrine eng.
9th December 2010, 01:32 AM
Unregistered

I have completed BCA along with Dip in Computer eng.. I am intrested in Marine Eng.. Could anyone tell me about it is possible??
27th December 2010, 10:53 AM
Unregistered

i have competed 10 2 (PCM) i am interested in marine engineering. so tell me about top 10 colleges in private and Government at its entrance eaxams.
5th January 2011, 07:31 PM
Unregistered

Is class 10 enough for GP rating from west Bengal board of secondary education?
23rd January 2011, 07:38 AM
asahu47
Senior Member+++

hii

Educational qualifications to become marine officer in merchant navy

One can pursue one of these courses to be a marine officer:
1. 3 year degree course in Nautical Science for (10+2) students.
2. 4 year degree course in Marine Engineering for (10+2) students.
3. 2 year course for Diploma Holders.
4. 1 year course for Graduate Mechanical Engineers.
5. 3 month course for Deck Cadets for (10+2) students.
Also a candidate can join as utility hand or Petty Officers (Fitters) after completing 4 Basic Courses, i.e. FPFF, EFA, PSSR and PST.
There are four Government Training Institutes providing Pre-Sea and Post-Sea training of international standard :
1.Training Ship Chanakya, Navi Mumbai.
2.Marine Engineering & Research Institute (MERI), Kolkata.
3.Marine Engineering & Research Institute (MERI), Mumbai.
4.Lal Bahadur Shastri College of advanced Maritime Studies and Research, Mumbai.
All of these institutes admit students through IIT/JEE entrance exam.

good luck
23rd January 2011, 02:40 PM
Unregistered

this is yogesh .what is the job for thosewho complete B.scNautical science ? and howmuch is tere salary? how do they get promotions?
25th January 2011, 11:24 AM
Unregistered

hello.......
i am 10th grader studying in india..
i am willing to pursue my career in marine engineering after 12th..
i want to know which field should i be taking after 10th...
i am not willing to do a diploma degree..
thnk u
29th January 2011, 02:19 PM
Unregistered

sir myself graduate trainee electrical officer,worked one year on ship now i decided to become a third mate(third officer) shall i directely give exam or what will be the procedure?
7th March 2011, 12:16 AM
Unregistered

i am retired from indian navy as petty officer electrical radio after putting 15 years of service. I want to join merchant shipping as an electrical officer. kindly tell me what are the courses / exams i have to clear to get in to it.
16th March 2011, 10:33 AM
Unregistered

sir i passed my 12th with 86% but i have only my course completion certificate for my b.tech(it).....i also cleared an interview in a merchant navy company......can i join the ship directly or degree certificate is mandatory?
9th April 2011, 12:43 PM
Unregistered

how can i join marine after btech or mtech ?
9th April 2011, 06:43 PM
kumarpravir007
Senior Member+++

the educational qualification that is required to become an officer in the merchant navy is to have a graduation degree with a minimum of the 60% of the marks
and also with the B.Sc degree in the nautical science ...
and the eligibility criteria is to have passed +2 with a minimum of the 60% of the marks ....
15th April 2011, 03:58 PM
Unregistered

can i do merchant navy after tybcom
15th April 2011, 04:01 PM
Unregistered

can i do merchant navy after tybcom
29th April 2011, 04:09 PM
Unregistered

Actually i wnt to do nautical science aftr my 12th result, but i didn't give any entrance exam, so is there any other way to take admission in any colleage.
28th May 2011, 01:23 PM
Unregistered

is it possible to join marine engineering course after 2 commerce? plz rply... Rahul , Ernakulam
27th June 2011, 04:19 PM
Unregistered

hi.. i have passed my 12 with science stream with 78 percent ... so plz tell me that i am Eligibil for doing marin engineer course .. plz reply me on this ID:-
[email protected]
1st July 2011, 08:31 PM
Unregistered

yes i hv passed 11 th class can i fill the form but i hv pcm in 12 class
21st July 2011, 01:26 PM
Unregistered

i am doing engg from computer science.what to do to get into merchant navy.pls rply on my mail [email protected] as soon as possible
28th July 2011, 12:34 AM
Gita Irudhayaraj
Senior Member+

Hello dear, It is to join as an marine engineer in Navy force ,you have finish your degree in marine engineering. Then only you can join in as Marine engineer.
But to be in ship a longer period of time it is difficult.

but you can earn a lot handfull of money.
All the best.
28th July 2011, 06:02 PM
Unregistered

can a electronics and communication engineer do marchent navy?
1st August 2011, 11:31 AM
Unregistered

i m a b.e ece student.after can i do masters degree in marine engineering
7th August 2011, 12:52 PM
Unregistered

sir i wanna join merchant navy after completing ny 12th
Please temme , what is the duration of deck cadet course
n after completing mah course ,will i get a degree or a diploma????????
11th August 2011, 08:18 PM
Unregistered

sir, i am an engineering student and i want to get a job in merchant navy, but my eye sight is weak so, are there any jobs for those who have weak eye sight ?
18th August 2011, 08:26 PM
Unregistered

ESSAY I WANT TO BECOME NEAVY MEARCHANT IN FUTURE WHY
23rd August 2011, 10:07 PM
Unregistered

can i do merchant navy if i am having PCB nor PCM kindly remind me, may be by SMS on My mobile no. 7579050047
23rd August 2011, 11:17 PM
S-R-B

The Educational qualifications to become marine officer:-

If you are qualified one of these,then you are eligible for marine engineering and become a Marine officer:

->4 year degree course in Marine Engineering for (10+2) students.
->2 year course for Diploma Holders.
->1 year course for Graduate Mechanical Engineers.
->3 year degree course in Nautical Science for (10+2) students.
->3 month course for Deck Cadets for (10+2) students

India's top most colleges where you can apply for Marine course:-

->Samundra Institute of Maritime Studies- Mumbai, India

->Samundra Institute of Maritime Studies- Mumbai,Lonavala, India

->International Maritime Institute (IMI),Delhi/NCR, India

->Marine Engineering & Research Institute (MERI), Kolkata,India

->Vels Academy of Maritime Studies,Chennai, India

->Maharashtra Academy of Naval Education and Training (MANET) ,Pune, India

->B.P. Marine Academy,Mumbai, India

->TS Rahaman,Mumbai, India

->Tolani Maritime Institute (TMI),Pune ,India

->Indian Meritime University (IMU),Chennai, India

SO GOOD LUCK..
24th August 2011, 01:47 AM
NEIL6

Friend you can apple for merchant navy exam after 10+2 or after having completion of your

graduation.
8th September 2011, 12:18 PM
Unregistered

i completed my Bcom this year. can i join merchant navy?
8th September 2011, 12:39 PM
Unregistered

I'm a commerce graduate but would like to work as deck officer. so how can I pursue my carreer?
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?