26th January 2011, 10:16 PM
b.lohit

Should I start preparing for CAT while in B.Tech 1st year itself?

Should I start studying in first year b.tech for CAT?

Please tell me

thanks

27th January 2011, 02:48 AM
vike
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Should I start preparing for CAT while in B.Tech 1st year itself?

Dear Friend

One can start preparation of CAT whenever he/she wants because
the type of questions which are asked in CAT examination can be
answered by practice only and in case of English section you are
required to remember English vocabulary.
So, on an average a student who had PCM in 12th can start preparing
for CAT anytime after 12th board examination.
It would be very nice decision if you start your preparation right
in the first year of B.Tech. But, in many case I have found that if
a student start preparation long before the exam the pace of preparation
gets down as time of performance gets closer.
So, it could be good to have a slow pace but it is completely useless if
the pace of preparation is irregular.
In between try to maintain an excellent academics too because at the time
of scoring not only CAT score but one's scores in 10th, 12th and graduation
are taken into account.
Some people think that their ultimate goal is Management and so they give
their full time to CAT preparation and get a second class in graduation which
finally results neither a good manager nor a good engineer.
So, you should not try to spoil your graduation score at any cost.
For now try to give 1-2 hour daily for your CAT preparation and rest time
to your B.Tech. studies.
You can purchase some coaching's study material or TMH publications' books
to start your preparation.

Thank You
27th January 2011, 06:37 AM
Renuka PRASAD

s start preparing from now on,so that u can make it with no pressure at the end:-)
all the best for your exam:-)
27th January 2011, 10:39 AM
rks_estate

Hello Dear,

Yes, you can start preparation for CAT exam while in B.Tech 1st year.

But you will be appear for CAT exam after graduation.

For CAT exam minimum eligibility is graduation with 60 % marks from a regonised institute / university and final year appearing candidates can also apply.

Good Luck
27th January 2011, 02:00 PM
diego
Banned

Well my friend I can tell you from my personal experience and that of my friends
you dont really need that long.In fact stating the preparation too early ,. you would run out of steam much before the battle.
Here is my suggestion::
for english you really need to start improving now, But not thinking that you are doing that for CAT just do it for yourself. do not think that you english is strong( just in case.. the competition is really tough,never rest on your laurels.
READ newspaper articles editorials :: THE Economist, THE Guardian,
Magazines like CSR CSC FORBES HBR
on a daily basis,.. note word meanings and remember them,, then try recalling their meaning when you see them somewhere
FOR QA and LRDI... 1 yr is enough for above average person...( remember you have done you english by now..
Adjust time required for yourself.
diego
CAT 2010
VA: 98.5
QA: 98.5
DI: he he
27th January 2011, 02:09 PM
diego
Banned

Well my friend you dont really need that long to prepare for cat.In fact starting so early you would run out of steam too early. you have to peak just in time of cat to get best scores.
I would suggest, start improving you english without thinking that you r doing it for CAT
READ newspapers editorials:: The Economist,The Guradian etc.
Magezines:: HBR FORBES CSR CSC MBA
Note difficult words and remember their meanings and try to recall their menaings when you see them somewhere.Buy a grammar book refer to it sometimes for fun..
For Quant and DILR:: 1yr is enough for above average students
adjust time according to yourself
wishes
diego
CAT'10
VA:: 98.5
QUANT:: 98.5
DILR:: he he..
27th January 2011, 04:07 PM
prashantmeghalia
Senior Member++

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.lohit View Post

Please tell me

thanks
dear friend,
CAT is a very difficult exam and now a days there is a lot of competition in CAT EXAM. so your thinking of preparing for the exam from your first year is appreciable. but according to me, you must first adopt yourself in the college atmosphere and then see how much time you are having for the preparation of cat. in my opinion, you must start preparing for the exam in second year
27th January 2011, 05:14 PM
yashwar sharma S.G.
Senior Member++

hi,

Being ready for the race is always good,so that anytime you are ready for the race.

Its good that you can start preparing systematically form now even.

Try to focus on the english vocabulary and the aptitude and reasoning questions.

You can go for coaching at TIME institute as they will provide the real exposure to the Exam pattern..

best wishes for the CAT exam.!!
27th January 2011, 07:41 PM
prtk.co

Yes you should start preparing for CAT even from first year of your b.tech.This can be help you in scoring good rank in CAT.
27th January 2011, 08:14 PM
Gaurav.jain88

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.lohit View Post

Please tell me

thanks
You can start study for CAT at any time because if you start it early then it will give you enough time to revise and strong your material for exam.

CAT is very though exam and you have to devote lot of time and practice to clear it. If you give more time to study and it will be better for you.
27th January 2011, 08:22 PM
dreksha chaudhary
Senior Member+++

Cool Re: Should I start preparing for CAT while in B.Tech 1st year itself?

Dear friend,

It is to early to start the preparation of CAT in 1st year of B.Tech.
I would like to suggest you to concentrate on study of B.Tech . First preference is to be given to B.Tech and preparation of CAT is secondary thing.

In final year of B.Tech you can go for CAT coaching. But your 1st aim should be scoring good marks in B.Tech. Along with your B.Tech study you should spare some time for CAT exam in the final year only.

All the best.
27th January 2011, 08:46 PM
JAMESS
Senior Member+++++

to appear in CAT examination you must be on last year of B.Tech or after completion of your B.Tech you may appear.

so when you will start your preparation it will depend on you. if you think that to be prepare for CAT it will take four years then start your preparation from now. obviously a good practice and good knowledge in english is very much essential to crack CAT examination. so to start preparation for it a very nice decision.

but when you are preparing for CAT don't think that B.Tech is not important for you. try to balance with both the study. graduation result id very much important whatever you will do in your career. so prepare for B.Tech also with more care.

to be prepare for CAT you may take admission in good coaching institution for CAT. they will provide you a good study material for CAT examination. these will help you a lot to clear CAT.

best wishes.
27th January 2011, 09:12 PM
gurpreetrodger

do the preparation of what u have in ur hand. during b.tech. try to get the best in it and if u want to have some preparation of CAT get the knowledge of its pattern and try a little of it.
keep the present in hand and then plan ur future.
Best of luck.
27th January 2011, 09:20 PM
mini rani
Senior Member++

hi!

Of course you can start preparing for CAT exam from the first year of BTech itself.

But in my opinion you should start your preparation from the final year of BTech. One year time is enough for preparing for any competitive exam including CAT.

You are in first year of BTech course so you should concentrate on your studies now. It is also important to secure good percentage in BTech course (at least 60%) to be eligible for appearing in CAT exam. Securing more than 60% marks in graduate degree course is also important for getting job in top companies.
27th January 2011, 09:24 PM
jits
Senior Member++++

If you feel comfortable in preparing for both your B.tech and CAT then you can definitely go for training.It totally depends upon your interest and your comfort level in handling out things.

I feel that its better that you go for training from 3rd year so that you feel easy with both your B.tech and CAT training if your good in English and verbal ability.Coaching centers like T.I.M.E,Career Launcher are the best in the coaching stream.

So,its better that you join any of the above institute if you wish to score well in CAT.
27th January 2011, 10:09 PM
ravik1214
Senior Member++++

There is no any specific time or period defined for starting preparation for exams like CAT. you can start at anytime. start right from the first year if you can handle it.i have seen many students loosing their concentration while preparing for cat. they hamper their b.tech subjects. so i will advice to start preparation from atleast 3rd year so that you can maintain your momentum. good luck
27th January 2011, 11:15 PM
lvnareshsunrise
Senior Member+++++

Soon after the completion of your 10+2, you would like to start the preparation for the cAT exam. I think it is much well in advance.

This indicates that you have strong desire to crack the CAT exam. There is nothing wrong in that. But my suggestion is to start the preparation at the end of second year or from the middle of year.

Anyway graduation takes 4 years to complete. If you start preparation for the CAT exam from the first year itself, you may not find the enough time to concentrate on your studies and in the first year of your B.Tech, it may take sometime to adapt to your subject. So concentrate more on your studies and try to achieve good percentage in the first two years and at the same time try to complete some certification programs which are value added and try to learn core languages like C, C+, JAVA, ORACLE.

Cracking a CAT exam requires good English vocabulary, Verbal ability and reasoning, reading comprehension, quantitative skills, data interpretation and analytical and logical reasoning. It is one of the toughest exam in India which gives admission into 6 IIMs and top most schools.
27th January 2011, 11:58 PM
Harshita21

CAT one of the toughest exam of india.

To crack the CAT two things needed. One is hard work & other important one is smart work.

Start preparing for it after your fourth semesters ,prepare from a good coaching center.

Summer vacations after fourth & sixth semesters are good for self preparing.

best of luck
29th March 2011, 08:35 PM
nagasekhar

Hello sir/madam,
My Name is N.Naga sekhar. I have completed my intermediate by nios(national opening school of intermediate)like “CBSE”.In that exams I got 69%marks . I want to join this year engineering in your college branch:CSE under for management quota…plese feel to free send me details about your college….
My email: [email protected]

Thank you sir/madam.
6th August 2011, 11:14 PM
Unregistered

Which is the coaching institute offering classroom coaching for gaate in civil engineering? Plz plz plz reply
12th August 2011, 05:49 PM
Unregistered

I'm in degree second year. Is the one and half yr sufficient for the preparation.? Im not at all good at GK. How many words must one read if he/she wants to be confident abt CAT regarding vocabulary?
15th September 2011, 08:39 PM
vishal jaybhaye
Senior Member+

dear friend ,

there is no criteria or the recommendation for starting the preparation for the CAT ( common aptitude test ) .

its depend on your mental ability or the grasping power .
because for the preparation of the CAT exam involves the hard concepts regarding the topic like logical reasoning .

while in the 1st year of the graduation you can start the primary preparation like studying the subject English which has several weightage in the cat exam.
cat exam offers the admission in the 13 IIM's ( Indian institute of management and more than 100 B-schools all over India.

to know more about the CAT exam kindly visit the website www.catiim.in

thanks
best luck
with regards
26th January 2013, 10:24 AM
Unregistered

Hi,Im currently in 1 st year of my B.Com,im an average student scoring around 60-70% range,
can i crack the CAT with 99 percentile if i start early i.e 2 years prior to the exam.
I've also heard that IIMs provide special quota for commerce graduates,is that true?
Well does preparing for CAT help me for my GMAT prep also?
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?