List of Merchant Navy Entrance Exams
The Merchant Navy is a non-combatant commercial task force which deals with the transportation of cargo and intermittently, passengers, by sea. Some of the most well-known institutes which conduct courses in this field are the Training Ship Chanakya (T.S), Marine Research and Training Institute, Mumbai, the Marine Engineering Research Institute (MERI), in Mumbai and Kolkata etc. Admittance of those aspirants who wish to join the Merchant Navy Courses in India is held through the Indian Institute of Technology- Joint Entrance Exam (IIT- JEE). The two areas where the students are educated and trained are Navigation Science & Marine Engineering.
Courses & Eligibility Criteria
The courses and their details are as follows -
- B.E Marine Engineering: XII with Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and English
- B.Sc Nautical Science: XII with Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and English
- M.E Marine Engineering: Candidates should have cleared B.E Marine Engineering.
- B.Tech Naval Architecture and Ship Building: Candidates should have a pass in HSC/(XII) from a recognized board or university with 50% average marks in Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics
- B.Tech Marine Engineering: Candidates need a pass in class 10+2 or its equal from a recognized board or university with 60% average in Mathematics and science subjects i.e. Physics and Chemistry
- Diploma in Nautical Science guides the candidate to obtain B.Sc: Candidates who are applying for this exam requires a pass in standard 12 from a recognized board or university with 55% average marks. Also Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics should be subjects studied.
- Deck watch keeper: a minimum of 50% in XII with Science (Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics) or Commerce (with Mathematics)
- Pre-Sea Training GP Rating: Candidates require a pass in X class with a minimum 40% marks or a pass in an ITI course from a Govt. Approved institute with atleast 50% marks in final year. A minimum 40% mark in the English Subject is mandatory either in class X or XII or any degree/diploma course by the AICTE.
- MBA Shipping and Logistics: Candidates should have any degree from a recognized university.
List of Entrance Exams
Details about the Leading Institutes that offers courses in Merchant Navy and the entrance exams they conduct are given below:
Training Ship Chanakya, (TS Chanakya) Navi Mumbai - The admission procedure of this Institute is through the Joint Entrance Exam (JEE) conducted by the Indian Institute of Technology. In order to apply to this institution, the candidate should be atleast 20 years of age and must have passed the IIT screening test.
Marine Engineering & Research Institute (MERI), Kolkata – In order to apply to this Institute, the candidates should clear the Joint Entrance Exam (JEE) held by the IIT. The eligibility for this course is like that of the TS Chanakya. The admissions and selection procedure of both these institutes are conducted on the basis of the score secured in the JEE- IIT exam.
Marine Engineering & Research Institute (MERI), Mumbai- Candidates who are interested in applying to this institute should have a degree in Mechanical Engineering or in Naval Architecture from the recognized Institute of AICTE. The Admissions are held through the Indian Institute of Technology- Joint Entrance Exam (IIT- JEE) and the selection is of the candidates are based on the merit
LBS College of Advanced Maritime Studies and Research– Located in Mumbai, The LBS Advanced Maritime Studies and Research Centre is a private institution. The minimum qualification required for admittance is a pass in the X standard with Science and Math’s. The candidates’ selection is based on the norms and regulation of the Indira Gandhi National Open University OPEN NET – Merchant Navy Entrance Test.
After the completion of the courses, candidates can get jobs in the Deck Department as officers of navigation like the Captain, the First Mate, Second Mate and Third Mates etc. Marine engineers are employment for the functioning and installation of the equipment which controls the marine vehicles. Candidates who are employed in the Service Department can do the work of serving the passengers and the crew on board. As the Merchant Navy forms the most important component of intercontinental trade, Merchant navy officers can be also find employment in foreign shipping companies in the posts said above. The Merchant Navy is one of the few professions where the salary is comparatively high. The salary of the officers on board varies from company to company, depending on the town, state, export and import requirements, seniority of post etc. The lowest amount salary for the graduates of the TS Chanakya or MERI is normally up to Rs. 10,000 to Rs. 15,000 each month. For those candidates who work abroad, the monthly salary is around $ 1,500 to $ 2,500.
- [Video] How to join Merchant Navy
- Deck Cadet in Merchant Navy - How to become Deck Cadet in Merchant Navy?
- Difference between Indian Navy and Merchant Navy
- Merchant Navy After 12th
- Merchant Navy, Career in Merchant Navy
- How to join Merchant Navy?
- Career in Merchant Navy after B.Sc in Nautical Science
- Chief Mate in Merchant Navy - How to become a Chief Mate in Merchant Navy?
- List of Postgraduate Courses in Marine Engineering
- Application Form of OPENNET Merchant Navy Entrance Exam
- Question Answers Set#4
- List of Navy Entrance Exams
- Government jobs in the field of Merchant Navy
- List of Nautical Science Entrance Exams
- Difference between Commercial Banking and Merchant Banking