12th June 2010, 02:32 AM
vishalbhardwaj

Career in merchant navy after doing B.Tech in Mechanical and automation engineering?

sir, i have completed my B.Tech in Mechanical and automation engg, and iam looking forward to Merchant Navy as a career for me.
I don have any knowledge on how to join.
I want to know each and every step that i should take..
please i need proper guidance, and will be looking forward to ur reply.
my email id is [email protected]
Regards
Vishal Bhardwaj

Related Questions:
12th June 2010, 01:45 PM
amit.2186

Default Re: Career in merchant navy after doing B.Tech in Mechanical and automation engineering?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishalbhardwaj View Post
sir, i have completed my B.Tech in Mechanical and automation engg, and iam looking forward to Merchant Navy as a career for me.
Regards
Vishal Bhardwaj

hi, if u wanna do merchant navy then i suggest you to check the websites of merchant navy or even Indian navy ,in chennai there is a good merchant navy institute i request you go through the websites of merchant navy,,
12th June 2010, 02:20 PM
jicks

Default Re: Career in merchant navy after doing B.Tech in Mechanical and automation engineering?

Hai,

Merchant Navy surely offers lucrative salary starting itself.

Types of Job: Responsible for import/export, and is in high demand in three areas of ship, namely Deck room, Engine room and Service Department.

You have to undergo a training in Pre-sea course for 9 months at Marine Engineering Research Institute, Kolkata or Mumbai.(MERI)

Training is also offered at Training Ship Chanakya, Navi Mumbai.

You can also be sponsored by the companies hiring you to undergo this training.

Directly you can join as Engine CAdet, Fifth Engineer/ Junior Enginner in recruiting company.

Read Notifications issued by Shipping Authority of India Ltd.,(SAIL)
Shipping Company Ltd.,(SCL)

Best of Luck..
12th June 2010, 03:17 PM
SANDEEP891985
Senior Member+++++

Hai vishal,

Since you have done your B.Tech in Mechanical and automation engineering, there are two possible ways for you to join Merchant navy.
You may go for another bachelors degree in Marine engineering of 4 years duration from any of these following institutes:

International Institute of Maritime Science through IIT-JEE sector-8, Haldia Township-721607 West Bengal

College Of Engineering (Andhra University), Waltair, Visakhapatnam-530003 Andhra Pradesh

Mohomed Sathak Engineering College, Kilakarai-623806 Tamil Nadu

The Calcutta Technical School, 110 S N Banerjee Road, Kolkata-700013 West Bengal

Maharashtra Academy of Naval Education & Training(MANET), MIT Campus,Paud Road, Pune-411038 Maharashtra

Tolani Maritime Institute, Sangurli Road,Post:Induri, Tal:Maval, Dist:Pune-410507 Maharashtra

R L Institute of Nautical Science, Madurai, T.V.R.Nagar, Aruppukottai Road, Madurai-625022 Tamil Nadu

The Shipping Corporation of India , Shipping House, 245 Madame Cama Road Mumbai-400021 Maharashtra

Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineering(GRSE) Ltd, 5 Dr.R.N.Tagor Road,Kolkata-700056 West Bengal

Shipbuilders Industry Society of Goa's Institute of Maritime Studies, ISBT Complex, Bogda, Vasco Da Gama - 403802 Goa

Directorate General of Shipping, Jahaj Bhavan, Ballard Estate, Walchand Hirachand Marg, Mumbai-400001 Maharashtra

IIT (Indian Institute of Technology), Powai, Mumbai-400076 Maharashtra
Indian Institute of Aeronautical Engineering, 179, Kalidas Road, Dehradun-248001 Uttaranchal

Indian Marine College, P.S. No. 1262, Kachiguda Station Road, Hyderabad-500027 Andhra Pradesh

International Marine Communication Centre, 134/3 R.H. Road, near Luz Corner, Mylapore, Chennai-600004 Tamil Nadu

Lal Bahadur Shastri College of Advanced Maritime Studies & Research, Hay bunder, Seweri, Mumbai-400033 Maharashtra

Marine Engineering & Research Institute, Hay Bunder Road, Mumbai–400033 Maharashtra

Marine Engineering Research Institute, P-19, Taratolla Rd, Kolkata-700088 West Bengal

T.S. Chanakya, Karaus, New Mumbai-400706 Maharashtra

The minimum qualifiacation for this course is 10+2 with PCM. After successfull completion of this course, you may join Merchant navy as a fifth/junior engineer. Entrance exams like IIT JEE, AIEEE are conducted for admission in bachelors programme for marine engineering.

But if you dont wish to pursue this course, then still you have another option available to join merchant navy and that is through direct entry.
Since you have alredy done a bachelors programme in mechanical enginering, you can join as engine cadet/fifth/junior engineer without pursuing marine engineering provide you have compleated a pre-sea course of nine months conducted by MERI.
13th June 2010, 01:42 PM
vishalbhardwaj

can u plz tell me about, how to join MERI?
wat is thier criteria,
what is the eligbility?
and can u plz give some contact, to which i can talk directly...
and moreover.. tell me selection procedure procedure for MERI
26th June 2010, 12:23 PM
Unregistered

can i join merchant navy after doing b.tech degree in electronics and communication?
29th June 2010, 10:31 AM
Unregistered

i know i can j
oin merchant navy after mechansical engg but i want to ask that how to take admission ,institute and duration of course fee,and how much salary i will get theress
plese send the information on my email adress [email protected]
30th June 2010, 01:03 PM
Unregistered

Hi. . . Dis is Dharmendra from gurgaon nd wnt 2 knw abt carer in merchant navy after b.tech in mechanical eng alng wid the fee strcture or total cost 2 b an officer in merchant navy. Plz send me detail on [email protected] and cn u plz cntct me on 9716701975
8th July 2010, 12:51 PM
Unregistered

sir im doing ma course in mechanical engineering so after complition i want to join in merchent navy so what should i want to do for this . I grant ur reply to ma gmail as [email protected] pilzzz sir.... thankin u adarsh...
8th July 2010, 04:16 PM
Unregistered

sir, i have completed my B.Tech in Mechanical and iam looking forward to do my job in shipas a engineer .
12th July 2010, 07:21 AM
Unregistered

sir , im doing my 3 rd b tech in mech eng
can u plz tell me a good instituion which can take me to stream of marine eng
after my b tech plz can u give information abt dis more briefly our the websites regarding dis
my mail id is [email protected]
19th July 2010, 11:56 AM
Unregistered

sir i am doing b-tech in electronics and communication . and i am in 3rd year . can i join merchant navy after my degree and how?
5th August 2010, 04:55 PM
Unregistered

sir, i m a student of 3rd yr B.E in Mechanical engg , and iam looking forward to Merchant Navy as a career for me.
I read about merchant navy but i am confused.
7th August 2010, 07:14 PM
vike
Senior Member+++++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
sir, i m a student of 3rd yr B.E in Mechanical engg , and iam looking forward to Merchant Navy as a career for me.
I read about merchant navy but i am confused.
Dear friend
You should appear GATE next year. You can do M.tech in ocean engg. after B.tech in mechanical and get the job in this sector.
Apart from that one of the best way is to qualify IES conducted by UPSC.
There you can opt for Indian Naval Armament Service (mechanical engineering posts).
Thank You
12th August 2010, 01:12 PM
Unregistered

sir,
i mhave done my b.tech with mechanical engineering with 68%.
and now i want to join merchant navy,how i can join merchant navy directly.
my email id is [email protected].
sir plz reply me as early as possible.
13th August 2010, 06:52 PM
sparkle
Senior Member+++

Dear friend,

Yes definitely there are bright career opportunities in Merchant navy after B.Tech in Mechanical and automation engg..

As you have done your B.Tech in ME already you can join the one-year post graduate diploma course for graduate engineers..

There are four Govt training institutes in India:

1.Training Ship Chanakya, Navi Mumbai.
2.Marine Engineering & Research Institute (MERI), Kolkata.
3.Marine Engineering & Research Institute (MERI), Mumbai.
4.Lal Bahadur Shastri College of advanced Maritime Studies and Research, Mumbai.

Other than these there are other private institutes also..

After this course you can join as junior engineer in there or cadet officer..

So all the best for your future in merchant navy..
15th August 2010, 12:04 PM
Unregistered

sir,
can u plz tell me what does MERI means?
Regards
Akash sagar
17th August 2010, 02:12 PM
Unregistered

Regards
Arun Beniwal
17th August 2010, 10:57 PM
jitenilluminatus

yes you can provided you're willing to study for yet another bachelor's degree.
If you are then read on..
There is a course called DIPLOMA in nautical science which is a 3 year bachelor course. The benefit is that, you study on campus for 1 year then you go on board for training and get around 25,000 INR as stipend. Which is vrg gud, isn't it? It's going to be like after btech you didn't get a job for one year then got a job for 18 months..... it's really worth it if you've made up your mind to join merchant navy...
anyway, after you training, you study for around 4 months and that's it. You're a sailor getting aroun 1 lakh INR....

further queries ???? feel free to ask..

B'bye
15th September 2010, 09:18 AM
Unregistered

sir i am pursuing b.tech from mechanical engineering and want to join merchant navy. so sir can you suggest me what to do after b.tech .
8th October 2010, 06:52 PM
Unregistered

how to get addmission in MERI ? Is it directly possible or not............
11th October 2010, 11:06 PM
solution
Senior Member++++

hello friend

you can join in merchant navy in two ways.

1.through UES. which exam you can appear in the final year of your btech.

2.through UPSC exam. which exam you can appear after doing your btech.

as you have already did the B.Tech in Mechanical and automation engineering then you are eligiable for upsc exam.

all the best...........
21st October 2010, 01:29 AM
faiyaz
Senior Member++++

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishalbhardwaj View Post
Regards
Vishal Bhardwaj
Quote:
i know i can j
oin merchant navy after mechansical engg but i want to ask that how to take admission ,institute and duration of course fee,and how much salary i will get theress
plese send the information on my email adress [email protected]
Quote:
Regards
Arun Beniwal
Being a MEchanical Engineer, one has to opt for "Engine Department" of Merchant NAvy as they are not allowed for "Deck Department"

For Getting into Engine Department of Merchant Navy, one has to start career from the post of "Fifth or Junior Engineer" which ultimately lead to Chief Engineer.

Qualification Required: A degree in Marine or Mechanical or electrical Engineering from a recognised Institute. MArine engineering holder will get in directly while Mechanical and Elecrical has to undergone 10 months Pre-Sea Training in MArine engineering, which is either offered by recruiting company or candidate has to born itself.

Eligibility: First class first pass.

Age Limit: 25 years.

Institute Offering Pre-Sea Training:-

There are few good private institute imparting training and various courses to enable youngster to take up a career in sea.

Academy of Maritime Education and Training, chennai.
National Institute of Port Management,Uthandi, Chennai.
Vel's College of Maritime Studies, pallavaram, Chennai.
International Maritime Institute, Greater Noida UP.
Tolani Maritime Institute, Erandawane, Pune.

Scope: Carer in Mechant Navy has never witness such a tremendous prospects. There are 40% shortage of Chief Engineers and Captains in shipping industry. Whereas for junior level engineers and officers it is 30%. An the rate of growth of Shipping Industry in India is almost 22%.

Since Shipping Industry or Trade Or Merchandise comprises 95% of the whole World's Trade. MErchant NAvy has become one stop solution for Lucaretive and properous career.

The money is good in this field. You could start off with as much as Rs 20,000 per month starting and work up to 1.5 - 2 lakh a month.

If you work for foreign vessels then well you will earn in dollars. Your gross salary can be as much as Rs. 4 lakh a month at the top of your career. You are usually allowed 4-months leave every year. Items like imported liquor, cigarettes are all duty-free on board.

NOTE:
Since in most cases if candidates educational background is good, are direct observed by shipping company and the whole cost of 10 months of Pre or Post Sea Traning will be bare by recruiting compnay itself. But after that candidate will be bonded to work for that particular company in any situation.

So, if anyone doesn't have any monitary problem then better to bare the cost of traing by self and take traing from any good institute.

Regards
~Faiyaz~
21st October 2010, 10:42 AM
JAMESS
Senior Member+++++

after doing B.tech in mechanical engineering you may join in merchant navy but before that you have to take training from a good institution related to navy.

b.tech in marine engineering is more preferable for merchant navy for the post of merchant officer. but also there are post for b.tech in mechanical engineering student.

best wishes.
20th November 2010, 12:35 PM
Unregistered

sir iam student of (pcm) and want to join merchant navy . which are the companies sponcering candidates for study in marine eng. and can i have address and e mail id of these companies. please help. thanks . amanpreet- pune.
25th November 2010, 11:19 AM
Unregistered

sir when will be the forms available for new entries in merchant navy,,,,now i m persuing with btech. in mechanical branch and want to join navy,,,,,is there any qualifying exam for 1 year training also......and what are the other option after btech. in mech.,,,,please tell me on my id i.e [email protected]
26th November 2010, 03:43 PM
faiyaz
Senior Member++++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
sir when will be the forms available for new entries in merchant navy,,,,now i m persuing with btech. in mechanical branch and want to join navy,,,,,is there any qualifying exam for 1 year training also......and what are the other option after btech. in mech.,,,,please tell me on my id i.e [email protected]
All Indian Merchant Navy Entrance Test 2011

All India Online Entrance Test will be held by 'Bharat Shipping Corporation' (a venture of Bharat Petroleum)

Courses Offered through this entrance:-

B.tech (Naval Architech)

B.Tech(Marine engineering)

B.sc(Nautical Science)

MBA (Shipping & Logistics)

GP Rating courses

Diploma of Applied Sciences.

• On line Test:19.12.10 - 21.12.10
  • Result:22.12.10
  • Councelling & MEdical Test:27.12.10
  • Application Deadline:15.12.2010
  • Application Form by Post:17.11.10-07.12.10
  • Form by Hand:17.11.10-12.12.10
  • Form by Axis Bank:17.11.10-12.12.10
The cost of application-cum-examination fee is Rs 2500/-.

Prospectus-cum-application form can be obtained by post, by sending a crossed bank draft of Rs 2600/- drawn in favour of controller of examinations, AIMNET-2011.

Address: Bharat Shipping Limited, 26/32, Pal Mohan Sadan, East Patel Nagar, New Delhi-110008 on or before 07th December, 2010.

Official Site:- www.bharatshipping.com

Since site doesn't contain much information for enquiry candidate can call @ 09212622666.

Regards
~Faiyaz~
26th November 2010, 08:02 PM
jits
Senior Member++++

You can undergo a 9 month course of sea training so that you have experience of the high sea's.

There are companies which offer you a 9 month training course else you can undergo the training from some of the institutes like

International Maritime Institute,
Academy of Maritime Education and Training.

To join in the institutes you need to write a written test and if your qualified,your awarded a seat.

You can even attend to the online tests conducted by some good institutes to provide training in their academy.

All the best
28th December 2010, 09:11 PM
Unregistered

Hi, this is ABHISHEK from class 12th lucknow. Sir i need your help.....I have to do marine engineering , prefer me each and every steps
25th February 2011, 09:19 PM
Unregistered

I am in class 12 and want to join marine engineerin without giving iit wats d way pls help@[email protected]
20th April 2011, 12:43 AM
Unregistered

hello....actually m completing my btech in mech .....this august,,,,and i want to opt a pre sea course..tell me about addmission criteria
[email protected]
25th April 2011, 11:33 AM
Unregistered

Sir I have completed btech in mechanical engineering.. i would like like to join in merchant navy..and im now 26 years of age..is it possible to join ??
15th June 2011, 02:33 PM
Unregistered

i have done b.tech in electrical engg this yea with an aggregate of 76%. Is there any possibility in merchant navy/marine engineering for me? pls reply me .
20th June 2011, 11:12 AM
Unregistered

sir if i do my b.tech degree from mechanical and automation engineering than can i applicable for IAS and IES conducted by upsc.
24th July 2011, 09:13 PM
Unregistered

sir can i join merchant navy i am 3rd year in b.tech (mach.) i am eligable for this test. please inform me at [email protected] & 8527227447
28th July 2011, 09:20 PM
Unregistered

sir m doing b.tech in electrical and electronics...and i want 2 work in merchant navy......m going to appear in fourth year...........so is there any course for this and how much.it will cost.i will be thankful.......for ur recommendation.
28th July 2011, 09:26 PM
Unregistered

sir m abdullah wazid .i want ur guidance for this m doing b.tech in electrical and electronics.m going 2 appear in fourth appear.....and want 2 join merchant navy as a electr.eng so is there any course for this and how much it will cost..............
29th July 2011, 06:24 PM
Unregistered

sir can i join merchant navy i am 3rd year in b.tech (mach.) i am eligable for this test. please inform me at
[email protected],cntct no:- 07696090297
30th July 2011, 02:30 PM
Unregistered

what percent should i need to score in mechanical engg for taking admission in diploma in marine engg
20th August 2011, 04:42 PM
Unregistered

i m in m.e branch.. 2 yr..
Nd i want to join as a engg. In ship.. I knw i hv to do d 9 mnth diploma in sea trainin..
But my eye sight is weak.. -4.5 in each eye..
Is lasik allowd?
Plz email me at [email protected]
Or msg me at 919808207556
25th October 2011, 09:50 PM
dc627

sir ... i want 2 join merchant navy.. as i hv done my b.tech in mech. plz suggest me the pre-sea training institute & also tell me hw to take admission in dis institute... ???
my email id iz [email protected]
i will be waiting 4 ur ans...
30th October 2011, 01:05 PM
dimple.simple
Senior Member++

Merchant Navy surely offers lucrative salary starting itself.

Types of Job: Responsible for import/export, and is in high demand in three areas of ship, namely Deck room, Engine room and Service Department.

You have to undergo a training in Pre-sea course for 9 months at Marine Engineering Research Institute, Kolkata or Mumbai.(MERI)

Training is also offered at Training Ship Chanakya, Navi Mumbai.

You can also be sponsored by the companies hiring you to undergo this training.

Directly you can join as Engine CAdet, Fifth Engineer/ Junior Enginner in recruiting company.

Read Notifications issued by Shipping Authority of India Ltd.,(SAIL)
Shipping Company Ltd.,(SCL)
24th November 2011, 03:27 PM
Unregistered

sir i am anish pandey i have done my b.e in (mechanical) engg i am very keen to join merchant navy i am 25 yrs old is their any factor of age plz rply me as soon as possible
22nd April 2012, 08:54 PM
Unregistered

Sir i am a third year student of mechanical engineering. I am interested to join engine department in ships after complete my graduation. So i want to take training from any institution. Can you say name of any institution?
19th June 2012, 09:28 PM
navjotsidhupamal
Senior Member++

hello dear

yes,you are eligiable for the Navy after completing B.Tech from M.E branch.

to join in the Navy after completing B.Tech from M.E branch, you have to give UPSC-CDS exam.

eligibility criteria for the CDS exam is given below

>>For Naval Academy: B.Sc. with Physics & Mathematics or Bachelor of Engineering.

>>Age limit:-

For Naval Academy age limit is 19-22 Years.

etc.

for more check-http://upsc.gov.in

all the best........
23rd July 2012, 02:28 PM
Unregistered

sir, i am going to join b.tech in machenical an automation engg. and after 4 years i want to do pre sea course to join merchant navy. please suggest me should i join machenical and automation engg. so that i can do pre sea course and which college will offer me pre sea couse after my b.tech........

-AKSHAY KUMAR
10th October 2012, 10:28 PM
vishnuvijayan66

i'm mechanical btec but have back paper will cleared one year, can i jon pre sea course now?
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?