Entry options to join as a Pilot in Indian Air force
Clearing CDS exam, selection through SSC scheme and NCC Certificate are the three entry options available to young aspirants for joining Indian Air Force as Pilots. For pursuing any of these options the minimum qualification required is graduation. The details regarding the procedure to be followed by aspirants to join as a pilot through these 3 different routes are briefed in the article below.
Three entry routes to become a Pilot in Indian Air force
Clearing the Combined Defense Services Examination (CDS) exam organized by UPSC is one of the means to get into the Indian Air Force as Pilots. The exam is conducted two times a year. The exams is usually held in the months of April and September. The next round of the selection procedure will be a Pilot Aptitude Battery Test (PABT). The combined scores in both these levels of the selection procedure will be considered for preparing the merit list. It is a must to clear both the exams separately.
NCC candidates who possess the ‘C’ certificate and who are graduates can directly enter into the post of regular commission officer. These people need not clear any entrance exam. They need to attend an interview that is conducted by SSB.
Short Service Commission(SSC) is the third route, for those who are short listed through SSC, they can be in service for 14 years and no extension will be provided unlike the other two routes.
Qualifications required to become an Air Force Pilot
- Graduate in any discipline from any recognized University can apply.
- 60% marks in the qualifying exam are needed to apply.
- Final year students can also apply.
- 19 to 23 years is the age limit to apply for the post. For CPL holders the age limit is 25 years.
- Marital status should be single.
- Both men and women are eligible to apply in the case of short service commission.
- Aspirant should be an Indian citizen.
- Minimum acceptable height of the aspirant must be 157.6 cm
Apart from these qualifications one should have good mannerism and also a strong interest in the field. They should be brave enough to face challenges and should have good confidence level too.
IAF will notify via leading newspapers, employment news and job portals on the availability and number of vacancies. The details will be given in the official website as well. Details like how to apply and certificates to be attached along application form will be provided in the advertisement. Aspirants need follow all the instructions and send the application form duly filled in before the due date mentioned.
- Procedure to join Indian Air Force after B.Tech
- How to join Air force?
- How to join IAF in the flying Branch after Graduation?
- Options to pursue career as a Pilot
- Pilot, Indian Air force
- Career Options in Air Force
- Indian Air Force Pilot - How to become an Indian Air Force Pilot?
- Commercial Pilot – How to become a commercial pilot?
- Indian Air Force, Career in Indian Air Force
- Pilot, Cheif Engineer, Border Security Force
- How to join IAF as an Officer after Intermediate 10+2?
- IAF Pilots 2011
- Selection process for Assistant Commandant in Indian Coast Guard
- Captain (Pilot) and Co-Pilots, BSF
- A glance at Commercial Pilot License